Historic Series?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by kmonk, Jan 7, 2019.

1. kmonk

kmonk Newbie

Jan 7, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I recently acquired this guitar. It was listed as a Historic Series. However, I cannot find any information on this model. It is listed as Model No. 10 Cutaway Blue, It has a Bigsby tremolo, Arrow through the G headstock but I have not seen any historic series guitars with "F-holes". Everything I've seen have had "cat's eye" sound holes. I also haven't found any with block inlays in the fretboard and/or inlays around the body and headstock. I wonder if it was originally a custom order. Any ideas as to what this is and the value?

Thank you,

Label.jpg
    xhkllhypa0x1kr7w0fog.jpg

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Merc, Junior94 and wildeman like this.
  2. Merc

Merc Gretschie

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    It looks to me like a 3131. But I haven’t seen it in blue before. The below is copied from the other G site. If the bout and scale length is the same, it fits the description and picture aside from the color.

The 3131 Historic Series Streamliner was Peerless made and essentially identical to some Carlos Robelli guitars of the time, aside from the name on the headstock and some details. The 25.5" scale, 17" 3131 came with an orange finish and F-holes rather than the cats-eye soundholes usually found on Historic series guitars. Two Gretschbucker pickups and Bigsby tailpiece were standard.

kmonk likes this.
  3. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yep, i think you nailed it. Screenshot_2019-01-08-02-21-45-1.png
    Carlo Robelli

kmonk likes this.
  4. stevemorrison

stevemorrison Synchromatic

Jun 3, 2011
    Dundee, SCOTLAND
    With all that Abalone binding it looks like the same body from a Peavey Rockingham

5. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Actually, it is. This is a Peerless-made pre-Fender model. Peerless used that exact same body for several "brands" back in the day. If it has a serial number on the label, it likely begins with "GP", "MP", or "KP"-- which is are the early Peerless factory designations.

The Gretsch version (official designation: G3131 Streamliner) was a very low-production model...Made exclusively for dealers as a sales/order reward promo. They weren't sold as a standard production model. This "Model 10" appears to some sort of prototype variant; which is not uncommon during the Gretsch revival years (1989-2002). There are some unusual prototypes floating around out there... Many of them one-offs. Most of these are in Western orange, but I've only seen one other prototype in a different finish-- and it was a walnut stain over a quilted top with gold hardware. Again, most likely a one-off.

These are very nice guitars.. only drawback is that the stock pickups are older standard Gretschbuckers, which can be blah and a bit muddy if they aren't set up correctly. When set up right, they are decent pickups... Just don't expect them to sound like Filtertrons.

kmonk and Merc like this.
  6. Rock Lajoint

Rock Lajoint Gretschie

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    The Peavey Rockingham version was pushed as 'designed by Darrel Higham'. Bearing in mind it's the same guitar as badged by several other brands I've always had my doubts about that detail. But Darrel did play them, with the pickups switched to the Dynasonic and P90 Eddie Cochran configuration.

kmonk and larryb like this.
  7. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I've heard that too... I don't doubt that Darrel had a hand in tweaking the Peavey version, but the essential stock Peerless branded model can still be purchased from Peerless.. known at various times as the Gigmaster Custom, Gigmaster Custom SC, and the Gigmaster Custom 40.

This particular body has been around in various forms (Peerless, Gretsch, Carlo Robelli, Peavey) for 18 years now. Most of the differences between the different marques are purely cosmetic. All have the exact same body husk, the same abalone binding, some iteration (B7/B70/B700) of the same tension-bar Bigsby, same control configuration... The differences usually come down to the headstock, pickups, knob style, and fretboard inlays.

Judging by the OP's body label, which I did not see last night, but appears in his post today, it looks like he does indeed have a prototype model.

I happen to own one of the Robelli versions, which is very similar to the Gretsch version.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kmonk likes this.
  8. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    My 5125 is peerless made from '04 and has that same Bigsby, maybe they didn't proceed with this model after the 51's came out.

kmonk likes this.
  9. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I never came across that model but it looks just great. Especially in the blue-metallic colour.

kmonk likes this.
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The first one shown is in green with abalone..

Great. Just what I needed. More GAS.

kmonk likes this.
  11. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Here it is in action! Imelda is so dang cute!!!

RomanS likes this.
  12. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Congrats, that's a fabulous color.

kmonk likes this.
  13. halweston

halweston Electromatic

Oct 11, 2009
    london
    My involvement with the Rockingham came about through Ken Achard, who was the boss of Peavey UK back around 2000 (I can't quite remember what year I became a Peavey artist). Ken is a massive Eddie Cochran fan and owns a beautiful mid-50s 6120 with the unusual brown finish.
    I was signed up initially for an amp deal. I spoke to Ken regularly and asked him why Peavey did not make a semi-acoustic guitar and he said that if I sent him in a design, he would see if he could get some interest in it through the company. I sent Ken a hand-drawn picture of a Gretsch-type guitar (drawn by Imelda!) and faxed that off to Ken with the dimensions for the neck and body included. I specified that it needed a Bigsby and where all the volume and tone knobs needed to be.
    It was a few months later that Ken asked me to visit the Peavey factory in Corby and there he showed me the first 2 Rockingham prototypes - a blonde and purple. He gave me the natural finish guitar and he kept the purple. Unfortunately, my prototype was stolen at a gig in Spain with Slim Jim Phantom a few years later. Ken told me the headstock design - which I wasn't keen on initially - was a quirk of Peavey's that they liked smaller headstocks, so it was incorporated into the Rockingham. Ken came up with the name 'Rockingham' for the guitar.
    It wasn't until a few years after the Peavey went into production that I saw a Peerless guitar. I always assumed that the Rockingham was built by Peavey so never asked any questions. My involvement was really to get a guitar like this to be built by Peavey in the first place, so to me, Ken was the driving force behind the Rockingham.
    My '89 6120 had been stolen in 1998 and I wasn't in a financial position back then to buy another Gretsch so I needed something affordable, solid and nice to play. The Rockingham ticked all those boxes. Even though it was very much a budget guitar, it was a great basis for a decent guitar - I always changed the stock pick ups and added a pick guard, brass nut, fixed arm Bigsby. Then I had a guitar I was really happy with.
    Once Peavey decided to stop selling the guitar towards the end of the 00's, I went back to playing Gretsch. By then I was able to buy a Falcon and was very happy with that until the custom shop 6120 was acquired.
    Hope this helps!
    Darrel Higham

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    wabash slim, new6659, RomanS and 4 others like this.
  14. kmonk

kmonk Newbie

Jan 7, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Wow Darrel, this is great information. Thank you for the response.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I appreciate it.

halweston likes this.
  15. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, kmonk!
    Welcome mat seaside.jpg

kmonk likes this.