"Hillbilly Rockers"

Discussion in 'Gretsch-Talk Music' started by JHowdy, Aug 30, 2016.

1. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Whether they rock or not, I don't know, just something I saw and heard in youtube. The singer sure has a lovely voice and a fine band that gives her all the time in the world to do the singing.

2. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Wow , she's great . Enjoyed it Juhani , thanks . The song reminds me of " Doolin' Dalton " by the Eagles

Andrew Griffin and JHowdy like this.
  3. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    I googled a little and the band comes from the Annecy - Genève district in Switzerland. Or Suisse, as they would say it themselves, they seem to be French speaking and it can be heard a little in her singing.

http://www.hillbilly-rockers.com/en/

4. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Very nice J. I dig the lefty Tricone resonator too. I like the song, i live in gold country, very close to Sutter's Mill.

Andrew Griffin and JHowdy like this.
  5. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
  6. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    And there was a mill (but not a sawmill) in my family too some 80 years ago, in a rapid named by the family, they just never found any trace of gold, haha. And here I am digging musical gold :).

7. Mudshark

Mudshark Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2012
    Canada
    I agree her singing almost Louisiana Cajun like, great stuff. Diggy Liggy Lo....

JHowdy likes this.
  8. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    French is just one of the four (4) official languages in Switzerland!

Mudshark likes this.
  9. JumpinJagFlash

JumpinJagFlash Gretschie

Apr 26, 2016
    Tabernacle NJ USA
    Sutter's Mill is one of Dan Fogelberg's very best songs, IMHO. It's on the High Country Snows album, which is filled with great bluegrass tunes written and performed by Dan, along with great artists like Ricky Skaggs, Vince Gill and others.

Although a lot of folks don't pay attention to lyrics, those in this song are so well crafted that it's worth listening closely to the story Fogelberg tells. It's about the guy (John Sutter) credited with discovering gold in the hills of California in the mid-1800s, and thus starting the rush of people from all parts of the world to California hoping to strike it rich. We in the USA know it as the California Gold Rush, and it brought great wealth to some and much chaos, death and misery to many...John Sutter among them, who ultimately died penniless.

If you've never heard this album, I strongly encourage you to find it and give it a spin. Sadly, Dan Fogelberg died a number of years ago, but not before leaving us a number of musical gems like Part of The Plan, Run For The Roses, Leader of the Band, Old Lang Syne, The Power of Gold and of course, Sutter's Mill.

@JHowdy - Great find! Nice to hear someone keeping Dan Fogelberg's music alive.

JHowdy likes this.
  10. doctorSlo

doctorSlo Gretschie

Aug 22, 2016
    san luis obispo, CA
    I'll admit, she is captivating!

11. GTR6119

GTR6119 Country Gent

Oct 12, 2014
    London
    Great Band,, I never seen a Girl singing in her Night Dress before,

Well not that I can quote publically anyway, :D:D:D

John.

12. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    That wasn't singing :eek:

T simmons and GTR6119 like this.
  13. GTR6119

GTR6119 Country Gent

Oct 12, 2014
    London
    She has that hint of Coalminers Daughter thing going on, crossed between Bluegrass and Country, And she sings it in her Nighty, Lol :eek::eek:

John.

audept likes this.
  14. T simmons

T simmons Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2013
    California
    Nice this for sharing

15. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    The California Gold Rush, or "The Great Gold Rush" as we call it here too, is well known over the world I think. I've seen and heard many tragic stories about it in movies and documentaries.

I'll try to find a vinyl LP copy of that "High Country Snows" album, if it's not too expensive. Thanks!

16. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Found the Dan Fogelberg album and some Friends too. Being a vinyl addict I had to order from the US to get an original label pressing, so the postage and customs will be quite high, but fortunately the record itself was very cheap. At least two of those other three records are compilations, but all from very good artists.

BTW there is no "What record did you buy last" thread on this forum. Are we all spotify this, spotify that folks?

ScrH_2730.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice