Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Hey

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by Davos, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Davos

Davos Electromatic

Jan 18, 2018
    Alaska
    Hey, folks, I'm a new Gretsch owner and have been reading these pages for about a month or two now. There is some really great info and I appreciate having this community available!

I ordered a used 6120RHH from guitar center, but when it arrived it looked like it had a crack at the neck and the salesman was telling me that getting it back to Alaska would be difficult, as well as the very dry conditions here would not be good for it. In the end, I was sufficiently freaked out about paying so much for a perhaps damaged or soon to be wrecked guitar, so returned it on the spot. a real sad day.

I ended up seeing a 5120 locally on craigslist that was advertised with TVJ classics at a decent price, but after getting it home, i realized that the pups were probably more of a magatron, and didn't have the brightness that i really was hoping for. Anyway, I've been reading a lot here on how to make those guitars reach their potential and I'm having a great time.

BTW, I think i'll go with a classic plus at the bridge and a supertron at the neck. If I don't like it, I'll go back and get the 6120RHH!

Dave

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  2. National19

National19 Country Gent

Jan 4, 2014
    Ottawa Canada
    Welcome to the forum! That sucks about the RHH, but The 5120 is a great guitar, I used to own one and regret selling it. But, I do own a RHH and it’s by far the greatest guitar I have ever played or owned.

Enjoy the 5120, you may feel you don’t need to get another. Who am I kidding, once you get a Gretsch you always end up needing more than one! They are addictive.

3. Davos

Davos Electromatic

Jan 18, 2018
    Alaska
    Well, i grew up playing a strat, but haven't picked it up in about 15 years. I recently was introduced to Chet's music, and my interest in playing guitar has come back with a vengeance. I'm not sure what rock i was hiding under; i can't believe i never heard him before. But i thought it would be best to see if i can stick with this for a year or two before i spend my kids college money on another guitar. I mean, if I can play Mr. Sandman by next year, then the kids will have to pay for their own college because I'll be buying a 6120!

Olive and Reedlvr like this.
  4. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Welcome!!

Davos likes this.
  5. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Congrats on the 5120 Davos! The 5120 was my first Gretsch. I loved the feel of that guitar, and I still have occasional regret at letting it go. I went on to a 5420, which is a great guitar, too, and my only wish is that it had the same neck profile as my 5120 had.

Davos likes this.
  6. Davos

Davos Electromatic

Jan 18, 2018
    Alaska
    Yeah, I don't want to mod it to the point that I've got more into it than a decent used 6120, but I think I can put in some new pickups and a compton and that will be enough. I can either sell the megatrons (?) or put them back in if i were to trade up.

7. Willie D

Willie D Gretschie

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    hey buddy.gif

I've never played a RHH, but I'd love to. I dig his music and his playing.
    Welcome to GT!

Davos likes this.
  8. radd

radd Gretschie

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Welcome

I want a RHH, but I have absolutely no reason to have one or need one....however, that has never stopped me in the past.

Davos and EdwardsKim like this.
  9. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Dave!
    Welcome mat 69.jpg

Olive and Davos like this.
  10. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Welcome! I don't have a 5120, but do have a 5420, it's a great guitar. Too bad about that RHH, I picked one up late last year, and it is my finest guitar. Either way you end up, Gretsch is a great brand and you will probably be a fan for life.

Davos likes this.
  11. russmack

russmack Country Gent

May 1, 2017
    ballina australia
    I think Mr Sandman will only take about five years to learn. Of course you'll have to build up your chops.

Get a 6120. Beautiful instrument. Worth every nickel.

Lots of fun out there trying to get some sort of handle on things of a Chet nature.

Lots of tears too.

Just a thought, you could start to get a feel of Chet by immersing yourself in Ragtime. Beware though, you may find yourself losing track of what it was you thought you were supposed to be doing.

Russ

Davos likes this.
  12. Ylikessu

Ylikessu Electromatic

Oct 17, 2017
    Finland
    Welcome to forums Davos!

Davos likes this.
  13. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Welcome Dave . 5120's are great guitars , enjoy

Davos likes this.
  14. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT Dave!

That's a shame about the RRH,i have a thing for 6120's.

Davos likes this.
  15. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Welcome to GT Dave!

BTW, don't I know you? :)
    Dave

Davos likes this.
  16. ivar83

ivar83 Electromatic

Jan 5, 2018
    Gothenburg
    Very Welcome!

Davos likes this.
  17. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Welcome, i have a 5120 too and i think its a great model, ill never sell it. Try some different pots or caps to brighten it up.

Davos likes this.
  18. Davos

Davos Electromatic

Jan 18, 2018
    Alaska
    My brew brother Dave! Thanks for the tip on this site. Lots of great folks here with tons of great info. I hope one day I’ll be able to offer advice but for now I’m reading and learning.
    Antonista/Davos

speedicut likes this.
  19. Davos

Davos Electromatic

Jan 18, 2018
    Alaska
    I did some research and I think the “crack” I saw in the neck was just a normal wear on the finish and it was probably ok.

So I think I’ll get this 5120 set up with a classic plus and a supertron and see how that goes. If I get decent on a dozen Chet tunes I’ll think about treating myself with a RHH and I’ll be able to switch out the pups with what I really like. It just seems like the RHH is the cream of the crop as fat as 6120’s go.

T Bone likes this.
  20. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
    Welcome to the forum !!

Davos likes this.