Hey... New Old Guy Here!

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Bear, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Bear

Bear Country Gent

Hi guys and gals. I'm Bear and I'm new to this forum as of this minute. Bobcat turned me on to it. I am a member at GDP as I imagine many of you are too.

I just recently received a 5125 as a Father's Day gift and I'm lovin' it. My last Gretsch was a Double Anniversary that was stolen from me nearly 30 years ago.

I'm primarily a country picker and thumb picker and I love Gretsch guitars. I also own a Fender Telecaster, a Strat clone, a Carvin DC127T, an Ibanez AFS75T, a Carlo Robelli ES500, and a Dean Tradition D24 dreadnought acoustic. I've modded them all.

Anyway, It is nice to be here.

2. bobkat

bobkat Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    Bear welcome, This sight works! I still post on the Pages, but, I am tired of it not working. This sight is sort of like My space in that you have a profile page that has messaging and albums and friends,cool ain't it?!?!

3. stole_life

stole_life Synchromatic

Bobkat, I accidentally went to your profile trying to look at your photos. My birthday is July 8th.

4. DanO

DanO Gretschie

Jun 12, 2008
    Midwest
    Hey Bear, Dan here.
    Now you can post pictures of that new Gretsch...lets see it

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2008
  5. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Nice to see you Bear.

6. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    Great to have you over here Bear!Let's see the guitar!

7. Bear

Bear Country Gent

As soon as I'm done with the mods which should be by the end of this week, I'll post before and after pictures. I appreciate all the interest.

8. bobkat

bobkat Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    Stole, Cancers rule! so did you check out my albums?

9. stole_life

stole_life Synchromatic

I checked out the one of you opening your new guitar. I had my Gretsch box opening last Tuesday. I still haven't photographed my new Country Club. Isn't that an exciting feeling! I looked at the trains, too. Are trains an interest of yours? Do you work for the railroad? Did you and play sing "Freight Train" at any of the sites? This'll be blasphemy to some on this site, but my favorite version of Freight Train isn't Chet. I like Elizabeth Cotten's version best. I love her voice. If you don't know it, you can download it from my public folder at this address:

http://idisk.mac.com/stole_life/GretschFriendsGuitarists/?view=web

Click on the down arrow in the "Freight Train" row and it's all yours. The song "Damn Atchafalaya" is there, too. That's by Carlos Guitarlos. He's good.

10. Gretsch-Talk

Gretsch-Talk Administrator Staff Member

May 26, 2008
    Hill Country, TX
    Admin Post
    Welcome Bear, we're glad you are here.

Post often and post photos!

Thanks

11. Bear

Bear Country Gent

I think what you saw was the pictures I posted for FarmerBrown and his new 6122-59. I'm into old cars and motorcycles and have a pretty nice diecast collection of those. I believe FarmerBrown is into tractors since he is a farmer by profession.

Yes, I do play "Freight Train" but have never performed it as a video or audio clip. Plus, you definitely don't want to hear me sing.

My Gretsch box contained my new G5125 and it was very exciting. I really love that guitar. I'm doing a little mod work on it now and will post pictures as soon as it's done. I'm waiting for a couple of things to arrive for it.

12. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Nice to see you here Bear.

13. Chetfan

Chetfan Electromatic

Jun 7, 2008
    N.W. Ohio
    Hello Bear and welcome to a fun, informative site.

14. stole_life

stole_life Synchromatic

Hey Bear,
    Nice to meet you. If my earlier post didn't make sense to you, it's because it was actually a response to Bobkat. Sorry to be confusing. Are you "Bear" because you're a Bears fan? I am. I live in SoCal, but my family moved here from Chicago when I was a kid. I still can't talk about Walter Payton without choking up.

15. Bear

Bear Country Gent

Nice to meet you too stole_life. I'm not much of a football fan, I like baseball and pool. I got the nickname Bear a long time ago. I guess it was because I was big, hairy, and grumpy. Now I'm just big. ;).

I just moved to Kentucky in November from California. I lived up in the Bay Area for awhile but most recently lived in Visalia between Fresno and Bakersfield. I did work in Long Beach for awhile but the commute was a bummer.

I was born and raised in Northwest Indiana just across the lake from Chicago where I misspent a large portion of my youth.

16. bobkat

bobkat Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    Stole, I am an engineer for Amtrak in Chicago. The steamer 261 was used in the movie Dillenger with Johnny Depp and Christian Bale. I piloted that train through the rail yard. I have worked on the railroad for 29 years.

17. Bear

Bear Country Gent

My wife and I have always dreamed about taking a cross country vacation by rail.

18. bobkat

bobkat Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    If you got the money we got the time! You will find it is a leisurely way to travel and lots of fun!

19. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    Well, don't forget to take that ride up here next May for the Jam, and don't forget to bring the boys! You can take the Amtrack to St.Cloud, and Ill have someone pick you up from there!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice