Heritage sues Gibson

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Ricochet, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Ever since Gibson has come under new ownership they have been sueing left and right. Warwick, Kiesel, Heritage etc.

The one with Heritage I find intriguing. Essentially Heritage are the guys upholding the old Gibson tradition in Gibson’s old building even using some of the old Gibson machinery. You could argue they are more Gibson than well...Gibson.
    They had a gentleman agreement with Gibson allowing them to coexist for almost 30 years, but Gibson’s new owners say no more...
    Growing tired of the harassment Heritage has responded...cause what Gibson can do Heritage can do one better. :)
    I don’t understand the new Gibson owners in this. Don’t they realise they have an image problem?
    https://guitar.com/news/gibson-sued...jYRV6YIzh7if8IeBWaRtGFc-rbPPTv4YzdHavBP1zoNL0

2. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Likely greed for some in Gibson. Or they’re being misdirected by lawyers wanting to get paid and not giving a hoot about the company in the long run.

Lister, rcboals, Echocat23 and 2 others like this.
  3. Stefan87

Stefan87 Gretschie

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    I could be way off on my thoughts here but to me it seems like the new owners of Gibson couldn't care less about the name and the history and they only see it as another way to make money.

I have read the interviews and all that from the new owners and CEO's and all that stating that they are avid fans of the instrument and they want to keep the name and the heritage alive and all that but to me it just seems like a sales pitch to the public, I would love to ask them if they have ever been in the music instrument industry before or do they even know how to play the guitar?

To me it seems like they are doing what some big corporations do and spend more time and effort in destroying their competitors by any other means possible other then doing it by building/selling a superior product, I think they would have more of a chance in winning people over if they just focused on their own company, looked over the last few years at what worked and didn't work, fix the issues and work with the buyers to bring back what Gibson was in it's hay day, not try and win the market share back by flexing the big business muscle of 'stop or I'll sue you which I know I will win cos I have money for a big lawsuit when you don't'.

As I have stated before, I am not a Gibson fan by any means and will never bring one home, I respect Gibson for what it is and the history the manufacture has though but the way the new owners are carrying on really makes me even more determined not to support the brand, hopefully Gibson finds it's self in the hands one day of someone who genuine loves the brand and wants the legacy to live on for the right reasons, a true musical icon.

4. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    ... there's your first mistake :oops:

Tech21, Waxhead, Rock Lajoint and 9 others like this.
  5. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    I saw another article which came from Gibson's perspective. They pointed out the change in ownership at Heritage, which has seen them take new directions. Gibson claimed that Heritage had a 'handshake' agreement with the original Heritage owners/management/company that they could continue to work making certain products. But that the new ownership was wanting to expand beyond the agreement, including developments in and around the factory, and that they've released new models which are Gibson designs but are outside the scope of the original agreement.
    They also pointed out that Guitar.com is amongst the new owners of Heritage. And claimed that they'd been working with Heritage, but had not undertaken legal action - i.e. they're not (yet) suing Heritage.

I don't know how much of that is accurate, but it seems we've got a bit of a situation where there's a couple of stories. It'll be interesting to see what the truth might be, if and when it does go to court.

6. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Going to court doesn't mean the truth will, in the end, be known, or even that the decision of the court will reflect certain and proven reality. That's just what they originally were intended for ... so to say, the best possible outcome out of the possible ones.

7. Junior94

Junior94 Gretschie

Jul 29, 2017
    Texas
    Maybe Heritage didn't "Play Authentic'

Charlie westside, Robbie and Ricochet like this.
  8. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    You just never know what the truth is. I agree though that this doesn’t seem to help Gibson’s image.

9. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    From what I've seen, the latest Gibson models are at least somewhat better than the previous models. I still think they got off on the wrong foot when they sent Agnasi out there to threaten the world.

Play Authentic.jpg

mrfixitmi, new6659, Stefan87 and 9 others like this.
  10. stormsedge

stormsedge Gretschie

Feb 28, 2020
    E. Tennessee
    Meh...both are beyond the price I am willing to pay for a guitar, so in my book this is just another litigious sideshow.

11. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I'd buy a Heritage any day over the equivalent Gibson. But I always wondered how they got away with creating the same guitars with a merely changed headstock. I think Gibson leadership needs to calm down. What's good for the goose...

12. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I don't know who is the guy at Gibson who dictates that General Sueing Strategy, but IMHO he is lost and in the wrong fight...

They should copy their best models and refine them to improve affordability and quality - Oh ! Wait : Copy = Infrigement : there's money to make here, so they will sue themselves, indeed... :cool:

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

Waxhead, Floo, Junior94 and 2 others like this.
  13. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

I understand that Gibson is fighting for it's life, and maybe it did turn a blind eye to design infringements in the past, but much of what it is doing now looks petty and desperate. I have no doubt that Heritage is aware of how it looks and is framing this to their own advantage.

I also agree that Gibson's fight for survival has to, first and foremost, re-instill the buyers with the confidence that they will be receiving a top quality product for the hard earned money they will be spending. Without this, I can't see Gibson surviving in the long run.

14. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    The last Gibson I purchased - just a few months ago - is an absolutely stellar guitar. Beautifully made and it sounds wonderful. Came with a lovely case and a pile of case candy and my first thought was, "wow, Gibson is back!"

I guess I should do a NGD.

SAguitar, MTurner, blueruins and 4 others like this.
  15. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Has Heritage really hurt Gibson? I personally see them as equal or better quality, but Gibson is mostly still seen as the standard to shoot for. If anything, Heritage makes a lot of people look at Gibson.

And I'm looking at Gibson on Wikipedia and it doesn't seem like they're very successful with these lawsuits. They need to just stop. If they feel the need to sue a toy company, what does this say about the wisdom at Gibson? Yes, they lost that one too.

16. Zeek

Zeek Synchromatic

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    Lookin forward to it.

I love all my Gibbys and will continue to be a Gibson fan.......

With that said I wish I played them more, the 335 is beggin to be played ...Been thinkin of selling a few.

Why you ask ?

Well ... I cant put down my Gretschs long enough to pick one up and when I do I put it back up and grab a Gretsch.
    Gretsch Logo.gif

17. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    They're trying to make Henry J look good.

Heritage is out-Gibsoning Gibson. They can't stand that Heritage is making a better product than they do. Gibson has tons of damage control to take care of. Henry J's policies damn near bankrupted the company, tried to corner a nonexistent market (why buy 5 acoustic piano companies? They were cheap at the time and failing for a reason) and "innovations" like robotuners. At this rate, they may never recover.

capnhiho, Ricochet and hcsterg like this.
  18. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    If Gibson actualy decided to become competitive, they wouldn't have to resort to such tactics. They would move volume and still profit big. Folks would want to buy from all walks of life. They should do as others do like Gretsch and Fender Have a good quality entry level instrument(Streamliner) to a midrange like (Electros) then their more upscale stuff. and yeah, put your name on the headstock. It's interesting that companies like Gretsch and Fender sell an a abundance of their midrange guitars , I would say this is where most of the profit comes from. Not from selling guitars in the 2000.00 + price point range. Really, I don't think most aspiring musicians could ever afford it. These are the folks that will move guitars and music into the future. Gibson needs to reinvent their business practices to cater to these folks. There will always be old goats like me who might and I mean might, consider buying the classic more pricey stuff. Well as for me I'll stick with my Gretsch. Less drama anyways.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  19. afire

afire Country Gent

This is what I don't get either. They're not going to litigate their way to increased market share. They need to be impressing potential customers, and this isn't going to do that.

20. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    It's more of a deterrent.

Ricochet likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice