Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Here's your chance to own a (supposedly) Brian Setzer guitar

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by slimwilson, Sep 14, 2017.

1. slimwilson

slimwilson Synchromatic

Dec 22, 2015
    Mobile, Al
    cblakey1 and buchon2111 like this.
  2. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I got excited for a minute, I thought it was the sparkle one he used to use early in the BSO... I want to go play this though, its right near Surf Dog Records, Brian's label. Its up the freeway about 25 minutes away.

3. slimwilson

slimwilson Synchromatic

Dec 22, 2015
    Mobile, Al
    You should definitely go play it. The frets do look different than the usual Gretsch frets from the pictures, but I ain't no expert in these matters.

Also, we should start a gofundme to raise the money for this guy to pick this guitar up

4. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Great. Great. Great. Looks like this beauty is in a very nice condition. Man, it's 60 years old!

slimwilson likes this.
  5. Frank_NH

Frank_NH Synchromatic

Mar 25, 2013
    Lebanon, NH
    Beautiful vintage Duojet. Interesting that it has thumbprint inlays but Dynasonic pickups.

slimwilson likes this.
  6. afire

afire Country Gent

Jets were the last to lose the DeArmond pickups. So, that's standard for a 1958 "model year" Jet, which presumably is what this is, though it's certainly possible it was built in late 1957.

slimwilson likes this.
  7. buchon2111

buchon2111 Electromatic

I think that it's a subject of taste, really. Unfortunately I believe that just because Brian Setzer owned it does not mean that it should automatically go up that much in value (three-to-four-thousand dollars). It is rather cool that he owned it, but he also owns that one and at least 10 other vintage Gretsches, probably in similar value and condition, so this one isn't really that special. It's not "the one," like his 1959 G6120 from the early Stray Cats days.

I love Brian Setzer as a player, but unless he played a show with that Duo Jet, I wouldn't take it. Of course, the seller is capitalizing on the fact that there is somebody out there that will die for that guitar just because it is Setzer's.

They may even get the DNA from the old strings and make a clone of him just to jam with! :D

Mudshark, zebulon and slimwilson like this.
  8. Kitvin713

Kitvin713 Gretschie

Jan 10, 2017
    Fresno, CA, U.S.A.
    The strings got me shaking my head. Probably a fresh set put on before he sold it he never touched.:rolleyes: THEY ARE JUST STRINGS PEOPLE YOU WOULD HAVE CHANGED THEM.

slimwilson likes this.
  9. slimwilson

slimwilson Synchromatic

Dec 22, 2015
    Mobile, Al
    If only I was a rich man, but then I'd get myself into all sorts of trouble. Better to be a an ol poor boy a long way from home, I reckons.

Yeah, that is odd. Wonder if it is also an ebony fretboard, although it looks rosewood. Gretsch's history is very interesting, and I probably need to find some good books to document it all.
    The price is somewhat fair, considering everything about it. These things will just continue to get exorbitant. Them's just the breaks. Now, I don't know if I could handle being outplayed by a clone haha
    Oh come on, he could have breathed on them

zebulon and Kitvin713 like this.
  10. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    "Owned by Brian Setzer" doesn't have any attraction for me. Now "Personally set-up by Tom Jones" would be another matter completely!

Robbie, slimwilson and zebulon like this.
  11. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
  12. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Electromatic

Jul 26, 2013
    Marietta, Georgia
    It doesn't have a certificate of authenticity. The seller could easily contact Mr. Setzer to get one, but the guitar only comes with a picture. I'm suspect.

clintmartin and Rikki Ericson like this.
  13. zebulon

zebulon Gretschie

Aug 8, 2017
    oxford
    internet don't lie.

that's a lot of money. agreed on the 3500-5k-ish price point value by other poster.

14. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    The price would be quite good, indeed.
    There must be a legit proof of ownership apart from a photo, though.

slimwilson and Rikki Ericson like this.
  15. Rikki Ericson

Rikki Ericson Gretschie

Aug 25, 2017
    England
    If that really is a Setzer Guitar, it's simply far too cheap. A custom shop replica 6120 can be more expensive, where Mr. S's hands have never been near it. Treat with caution.

(I'm not at all cynical, honestly....)

slimwilson likes this.
  16. slimwilson

slimwilson Synchromatic

Dec 22, 2015
    Mobile, Al
    I'm with you guys, thus the supposedly. It'd take a bit of convincing, but hell it could be the real deal. Could be more or less legit than that Pete Townshend 6120 that was on here a few weeks back haha

buchon2111 likes this.
  17. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    So the picture itself increases the value by $7000?

18. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    This presents the age old question ... is it worth any more money because someone that is so admired used to own it?

To me, not at all. That said, this is highly personal and if it makes a difference to someone and makes them happy...more power to them and I'd be happy for them.

19. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Beautiful guitar, good price too. I'm sure this will sell and i bet they can verify its provenance. Tavo already has a set of strings for it;)

20. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    If it is his, may be it's the Jet he used for Rockabilly Riot 1