Here, Kitty Kitty- a recent encounter

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Andrew Griffin, Nov 26, 2019.

1. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    People who treat large carnivore predators as pets have no respect for what the animal is or is supposed to be.

2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I've been dealing with cats ( feral and crazy cat ladies with colonies ) at Animal Control for close to 2 years now .... If this guy makes its way down here ..... I'll retire .
    Beautiful animals indeed :)

Armygirl and Andrew Griffin like this.
  3. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    That's true, @radd !

In a broader view ... we should simply leave them alone. Any wild animals. They don't need us, they need space.

I must admit, I'd like to feel how their fur feels, but in the end, the only safe way to try out is touching an empty fur, and furs shouldn't be emptied but left to whoever wears them since birth. So I likely won't come to know.

A could pet a deer last year a few times ... the place I was staying belongs to a farmer, who also is the resident-hunter somewhere nearby, and therefore it's his duty to euthanize those that got run over by harvesting machinery and the like, and in this case, there was one survivor who only lost a foot, but the siblings and their Ma got cut into pieces and he took her home. Very very shy ... the cats were easy, even the ones not liking strangers, the deer was ... ugh ... one cough - gotta run away for an hour or so. She usually showed up when she was hungry. I don't know how they handled that in the end, if they were able to re-wild her with a missing foot, or she still hangs out there... She always was allowed out, of course, and usually spent the days somewhere around the farm, no one knows where exactly. Felt weird, like it's kind of rough on the outside, but a bit deeper inside, her fur was incredibly soft.

Anyway - leaving any wild animals alone, letting them do their wilderness routines, is best I guess...

... I never really got why people keep snakes and spiders and stuff. I mean, they look fantastic and they're interesting and all, of course, but I doubt a spider will ever come to love her keeper like cats or dogs do. The ones (spiders kept as pets, usually big ones not native around here) I know seem to not care about their humans at all, neither did they run away when taken out, nor did they look for attention ... they just ... do nothing most of the time.

radd likes this.
  4. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Great story, @Andrew Griffin. Thanks for sharing.

We don't have any cats of that size up here in the Toronto suburbs. I did spy this beauty devouring a squirrel in my backyard a few weeks ago:

00000IMG_00000_BURST20191028083555455_COVER.jpg

My ragdoll was unimpressed, and he seems to have put a pause on his neverending campaign to be allowed outside.

00000IMG_00000_BURST20191028083628721_COVER.jpg

That's about as exciting as wildlife gets in my corner of the world. Things do get more interesting out in the woods, though. We woke up to find this curious face poking around our campsite on an RV trip through British Columbia this summer.

20190811_074818.jpg

We did not go looking for mama bear.

hcsterg, Armygirl, Waxhead and 2 others like this.
  5. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Gretschie

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    wow! and nice blake quotation

6. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    The housecat population drops quite quickly when a mountain lion moves into the neighborhood, those indoor outdoor house cats are a favorite snack. I know the one I saw hasn't been around based on the number of strays running around.

Andrew Griffin likes this.
  7. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Synchromatic

Oct 22, 2015
    Santa Cruz County, California, in between Watsonville and Aptos. Edge of suburbia.

8. GlenP

GlenP Gretschie

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    EE5C308D-4F8C-4801-9DB5-9E312F005113.jpeg We get more of the smaller, cute, and furry kind of wildlife here, rabbits. I caught this shot of five at once in the backyard. Occasionally we get a raccoon, that’s about it.

hcsterg and Andrew Griffin like this.
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I get hearts of deer through my yard, ground hogs, porcupine, badger, fox, coyote. The mountain lion I saw jumped in front of my car about ten miles from my house, a variety of turtles, had a really old snapper wander through a few years ago. That snapper was so old the serrations on the back end of its shell were almost rubbed round. I love living way outside of town but you do have to be aware and prepared.

I have actually had the opportunity to play with the cubs of some big cats. Lion, Mountain Lion, Tiger, just think of a very wound up kitten the size of a medium sized beagle! Dangerous and fun. But them teeth and claws, wow!

new6659 and Waxhead like this.
  10. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Well if you live in australia outside a city then you encounter wildlife everyday. Mostly it's harmless cute guys like these 2 that I caught on camera in my backyards.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you're a surfer like me then encounters range from pods of dolphins on most days to Humpback Whales (often during winter) to a great white shark (very rarely).

But if you live in northern Australia you must always be on the careful watch for Crocodylus porosus whenever within 30m of any river. They hang out on beaches also.

https://australianmuseum.net.au/learn/animals/reptiles/estuarine-crocodile/

At last count there was about 20 million of these guys and numbers are growing. With a warming climate their range is increasingly and they are heading south. Some have been spotted in Brisbane rivers in recent years.

Without doubt the worlds most dangerous predator to man.
    They are extremely aggressive and you simply stand no chance of living if taken. First they drown you in the water and break most of your bones in "death roll". Then they store you under the water for a few hours then come back later and eat you whole (all of you) :)

[​IMG]

11. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    When I lived in Berlin (a failed city, tbh - Berlin sucks...), a fox was a regular company during the smoking times outside. Walked into the garden, walked out, seemed not to care about me.

Here I only see bats regularly. Small ones, a wingspan of, like 10 inch, or a little bit more. One bigger bat used to come with the smaller ones, that one had a wingspan of at least 25 inches, but I didn't see this one the last two years - maybe he/she finally came to know the other ones aren't the exyct same species and moved out (I heard of bats who lost their group uniting with other bats, but I'm no expert on this). As the smaller ones don't grow, I assume they are grown up, just a smaller species than the big one.

Anyway, I like them ... their abilities in flying like they're nuts ... that must be really fun to do. And they look cool. They can turn around a few inches in front of your face, and you don't even fell any kind of wind ... cool animals.

I haven't seen them the last few weeks, although I was outside at night regularly ... do they sleep over the winter? I think they do...

Haven't been able to take a photo of them yet ... once you see one, it's too late.

Few years back, some stupid guy in germany had released/abandoned his crocodile in the Rhein ... which was then spotted here and there, and took a lot of effort to finally catch him after a few weeks. In other words: they're pretty rare around here, hardly see any at all. The biggest lizards I have seen so far (here, in freedom) are like half a meter, and that's about as big as these get. Most are half the size.

Waxhead likes this.
  12. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Synchromatic

Oct 22, 2015
    the croc looks so satisfied

Waxhead likes this.
  13. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh
    Here's my latest feline encounter... does it count if it's actually in your house?

Attached Files:

Waxhead, hcsterg, RomanS and 2 others like this.
  14. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Those are very dangerous animals to humans. We now have them here in the North Georgia mountains.

15. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Those are the best kind. :)

16. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    A cat in your lap is worth . . .

17. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    The value is unlimited.

Henry likes this.
  18. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Fabulous encounter with an elusive critter. I've been blessed to see one twice in my life, once in Wyoming and once in my native Ontario where they are a rapidly growing endangered species. Other areas in Canada have plentiful populations of mountain lions - Vancouver Island in particular. They are beautiful - but dangerous - animals.

Here is Ontario we are overrun with Black Bears and Coyotes. We have an average 1,900 human/bear encounters per year. Recently the coyotes have become very brazen and we have had some fatal and non-fatal attacks on people and pets.

19. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    They make a bloodcurdling scream that will stop your heart on a dark night.

Is the broom to sweep them off their feet? I can see the headline, "Local man has broom removed at hospital ER."

new6659 likes this.
  20. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I had a standoff with a coyote a while back. I was shocked by how brazen it was. My neighborhood has been populated, at least, since the ‘70s, but coyotes are a fairly common sight.

A Cougar’s snarl is pretty amazing. They are more closely related to a house cat than a lion, tiger, leopard, jaguar, etc. but they are wild critters and capable of doing a lot of damage to a human.

The broom is to shoo the jaguars away. That’s only half a joke. There is a certain plant in Africa with a large stalk and that stalk is one of the more effective ways to deal with a lion. I have a coworker that lived there and I believe h knows his stuff.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice