Here is something you never hear about

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by noelweller, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Jaybird

Jaybird Electromatic

Nov 2, 2008
    California
    So in effect you will have 2 bypass caps? one on pin3, and one on pin 8?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  2. mugsy

mugsy Synchromatic

Nov 3, 2008
    Indiana
    Yep, one for each triode of the preamp tube.

3. Jaybird

Jaybird Electromatic

Nov 2, 2008
    California
    Thanks, I think I will give that a try . I put the bypass on #3 on a switch (hidden on the chassis) for a "boost" feature. I will most likely do the same with this. Sort of like a Derringer up the sleeve a'la Bat Masterson.

4. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    From all the amps mentioned above, which would you say is the best stock? And yes Jeff we know you are going to say none. But which one would you choose?

5. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Gretschie

Nov 22, 2008
    Fullerton, CA

The 5F1 is supposed to actually have NO bypass caps in the preamp at all.

Everyone assumes it was a mistake on the layout, but it is also missing in the schematic. The Kalamazoo Model One likewise has no preamp cathode bypass caps.

I built a 5F1 without the bypass cap and it is a clean amp almost all the way through the dial - cranked it just sorta gets warm, creamy, and compressed instead of outright overdriven. I added a bright cap on a switch on the volume pot to compensate for the darker sound it has without the bypass cap and it is a great clean amp - dimed, the bright cap sounds bypassed. It's one of the coolest sounding cleans I've ever heard/built (including my Vox AC30 build!).

In any case, to get more Marshall type OD reduce the size of the bypass caps. It'll be thinner and brighter, but more driven too. Experiment with values from 10uF down to 0.68uF. If you have a bypass for both you may want to leave the first one 25uF and make the second "boost" one smaller and on a switch. Heck put both bypasses on switches - I did this with another K Model-1 clone and it was fun.

6. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    Juke the GA-5 is heads and tails above the other two. In both build and sound. It's bad point is that Gibson was marketing it at booteek prices and it's an mass produced amp

I always wished I took a pic of the guts of that Prince Royale. It was a thing of beauty. I think there's a new as in never sold Portly Cadet over at Musictoyz marked down but still expensive. That one is a 6V6 and 1 12ax7

7. mugsy

mugsy Synchromatic

Nov 3, 2008
    Indiana
  8. Jaybird

Jaybird Electromatic

Nov 2, 2008
    California
    [/I]

Thanks for the good tips Johnny. I first built my 5F1 without the bypass caps as in the origionals, but have added the bypasss on a switch for the boost it gives. I use my amps for harp so I really don't want to thin down the sound. I use .1 caps in place of the .022s for a bit more bass. I will most likely put a switch on the second bypass, and also maybe tweek the value a bit depending on how it ends up sounding.

9. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    Yeah I had two of those! Great amps! My 1x12 was almost a twin to that one. Ya got the bucks I'd try to scoop it up!

P7180088.jpg

Image-583D860EC61B11D9.jpg

10. unbridled

unbridled Synchromatic

Aug 20, 2008
    Montana
    GA5 hands down. I actually tried the other 2 the same day I bought mine. I didn't pay the boutique price, but I didn't quite get the 299 blowout price.[​IMG]
    Nice pair don't you think?
    I just can't post that picture enough even though you are probably all sick of it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice