Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Henry J's job up for grabs

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by englishman, Aug 9, 2018.

1. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/new..._for_new_ceo_by_placing_an_online_job_ad.html

Gibson Has Begun the Search for New CEO By Placing an Online Job Ad

The full list of requirements to take over Henry Juszkiewicz's position is available online.

Posted 7 hours ago
    [​IMG]

Music Radar reports that Gibson has apparently begun the search for a new CEO, who will replace Henry Juszkiewicz in the wake of the company's Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

The ad is available on ExecThread.com, listing the following "known requirements":

Henry Juszkiewicz Reacts to Accusations of Gibson's Poor Quality Control: 'That's Fake News'

• Prior experience in a major consumer products company required
    • Prior experience in a recognized brand, including digital, social engagement & e-commerce required
    • Experience in acquiring & integrating complementary businesses preferred
    • Private equity experience including a successful "exit" preferred
    • Music industry experience preferred
    • Prior P&L experience with global premium brands preferred
    Juszkiewicz recently told Guitarist Magazine:

"I will be here for a while, as CEO. And then I will be here for a while, for a couple of years, as an active advisor and mentor."

2. johnny g

johnny g Gretschie

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Hum, I might be interested. What is the pay ?

thunder58 likes this.
  3. johnny g

johnny g Gretschie

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    On reflection of the job posting. If I was the man I would start making gretsches in the Memphis Plant. Gretsch made in USA, interesting idea.

Charlie westside, larryb and Flouswa like this.
  4. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    There's a chance Fender may object to that!

T Bone likes this.
  5. johnny g

johnny g Gretschie

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Fender who.

larryb likes this.
  6. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I wouldn't fancy trying to drag that company out of Chapter 11...

7. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It'd be like trying to captain a sinking ship. Good luck getting it to a port in time.

Gibson never should have left Michigan.

I wish whoever gets the job the best of luck.

8. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes. That old, hisroric factory on Parsons Street. At least they should downsize, but never closed it...

My venerable, 1st guitar-owned, Lefty Gibson ES335-TD from 1980 comes from there :

[​IMG]

A+!

9. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Make Gibson great again.....because it has been awhile

10. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    It's still open and making guitars.. just not with 'Gibson' written on them.
    [​IMG]

dafreeze likes this.
  11. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

It's been along time coming, but the chapter 11 filing sealed the deal. If nothing else, it will be interesting to see if a new CEO can actually pick up the pieces and save this company, or maybe just the brand.

12. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    The restructured company should have a decent chance. The creditors are now owners, and the old owners are presumably wiped out.

I would think there would be many type A's out there that love to be the person that brought Gibson back.

dlew919 and T Bone like this.
  13. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    I'd rather maintain the quality that comes out of the Terada and Dyna Gakki factories.

Henry likes this.
  14. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yes, geography doesn't make guitars. Experienced professionals do. Once the plant closes the skilled labor rapidly disappears unless there is a similar industry in the area.

section2 and Wozob like this.
  15. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

I hope somebody does. It would be a shame to see them cease to exist.
    Well, I disagree. I own 7 modern Gibsons, from a 2007 Les Paul Classic to a 2017 Les Paul Classic. Every one of them is a fine guitar. They all came flawless (one bought used, the other 6 new). No quality control issues on mine. 2 are Studios (from 2010, one pre flood and one post flood). One is an SG Special in the faded finish, and one is a Les Paul Jr Special in faded finish. Oh, and a 2016 Firebird T.

They all came with impeccable fretwork. All were well set up (I did tweak the set up of the 2007, but I don't know what was done by who before I got it). The finish on all is flawless. They have good sounding electronics (4 have P90s, 2 have 57 Classics, one with a +, and mini humbuckers on the 'Bird). Quality hardware on all. The only gripe I can mention is the robotics on the LP Jr Special, but that is first generation stuff. It's clunky, but worked the last time I checked (bought it planning on it not working... got a great price).

Comapring to vintage? In some ways yes. The electronics simply aren't vintage. But these do a credible job for modern stuff (in the past I owned a 67 non-reverse Firbird III, and a 57 Les Paul Jr. I have also played many vintage Gibsons over the years).

Yes, I've heard of (and seen evidence of) some quality control issues. I don't think it has been as wide spread as some would like us to believe. And their financial mess is just that. But as far as them being a great guitar company? There can be no denying it IMO. Hope they can find a way to survive, and continue making some fine guitars.

Sorry for the rant. :cool:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    section2 and larryb like this.
  16. russmack

russmack Country Gent

May 1, 2017
    ballina australia
    That's no rant.

I think a helluva lot of us would agree.

Let's see the Gibby Phoenix fly.

Russ

T Bone and section2 like this.
  17. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Gretschie

May 20, 2016
    Australia
    Gretsches are already made in the USA. We call them Custom Shop but they are just very expensive MIA Gretsch guitars.
    Gibson would hardly improve on the quality or price of the current MIA Gretsch guitars.
    IMO just saving the Gibson brand and keeping what we have come to know and love is far more important.

T Bone likes this.
  18. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Don't get me wrong....I love a good Gibson and have owned a few, I have owned 3 ES 135s from the early 2000's....and they were some of best guitars I have ever owned. I also have owned more recent LPs and Firebirds, some good...some not so good. In my experience I had found inconsistencies....but I still love Gibbys... and L5s and ES 295's, are still my ultimate fantasy axes..

T Bone likes this.
  19. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

That raid 7 years ago...don't know how much damage that ultimately did to the company, think they ended up paying less than a half million in fines but I found the whole deal infuriating. I'd probably get hollered at if I stated the obvious.

I love Gibson. Grew up loving Chuck Berry, BB King and Jimmy Page. My first fine guitar was a Heritage Standard '80 Elite Les Paul I bought in '83 with part of my re-enlistment bonus. Walked into this little shop in Newport News, VA looking to buy something a bit more affordable. This girl was hanging on the end of his main rack. 4 hours later, not kidding, 4 hours, I walked out with it. Both the owner and I were practically in tears when I left but for different reasons. Upper bout half of the top had a beautiful burl, someone once referred to it as fire swirl or something. Lucky for me it wasn't a matched top or I'd have never got my hands on it. PAF's. Damn that was a nice guitar, love to have it back.

Bought 4 since plus a couple 335's. A gorgeous Standard, a slab with P-100's I put P90's in, later sent to a guy I met here on GT who was stationed in Afghanistan. Didn't tell him but took a good hit on it. Stuck it in a Tele case I didn't need and paid for the shipping. He was thrilled. Still own an '08 Studio I bought new and played the crap out of. Son still has a Studio Supreme I bought him for Christmas one year.

Scored a deal on a '16 335 for $1800 six months ago. It's outstanding. First was a road worn 2000 black dot I stuck a B7 on. Great guitar but it had a 60's slim line neck that was just too skinny for me. Had a buddy's 135 with '57 Classics I could have bought. Took it home to clean, restring and setup for him. He kept telling me to just hang on to it. Hella guitar, lot of fun, like a big fat boomy Les Paul. In the end I gave it back. It was blue. Just couldn't handle owning a smurf guitar. Great price too...6 hunerd or something stupid? I bet I could still snag it. Maybe I will. He's retired but I still see him on occasion. Had the fattest neck I've ever had my hands on though.

Out of this crap picture I took a snapshot of from a computer screen I only have the Tele left, but that's my sons root beer Studio Supreme and the others my 335 in lightburst. Has a gloss finish that doesn't come out good in this shot, but it's a looker. Only year they offered that burst from what I read.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/en...ruptcy-nashville-guitar-maker-news/567946002/

reduced.png file-4 (1).jpeg

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    T Bone likes this.
  20. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Believe I'd turn southpa for this.