Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Help With Identifying Technique

Discussion in 'Songs in the key of Gretsch' started by eggvan, Oct 11, 2017.

1. eggvan

eggvan Electromatic

Nov 30, 2013
    England
    Hi everyone,
    I'm a big fan of Darrel Higham, I find that he's probably one of the best pickers that the UK currently has.
    I've seen various stuff with him doing solo's for songs where he is almost - but not quite - Travis Picking. I've attached a video below to give you all an idea, have a look from 0:50 onwards for an idea.

I'd love to get lessons from him, which will never happen, but does anyone know where I can go to learn some of the techniques he employs? I can play Travis with stuff like Mystery Train and other Elvis stuff, but he seems to have evolved it into a soloing technique, and I want to learn!

Suggestions appreciated!!

2. zebulon

zebulon Gretschie

Aug 8, 2017
    oxford
    that's bluegrass offshoot."neil young and the shocking pinks" vibe. tony rice with a gretsch electric. hybrid picking, check out "shakey Graves"

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    eggvan likes this.
  3. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    One of the things I was playing around with that is a lot of fun... one day i was just fartin' around with lead techniques and I found a really cool sound jumping between finger picking, tremolo shredding, chords, and finger tapping. It was balls to the wall badass sounding. Throwing in all those styles under high gain gave some really interesting licks and leads.

eggvan and zebulon like this.
  4. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    Seems you're familiar with Travis Picking. It's based on that, but using a regular pick instead of a thumb pick (or no pick). Just practice for hours and hours and hours.... ;-)

eggvan and CatTones like this.
  5. eggvan

eggvan Electromatic

Nov 30, 2013
    England
    Thanks DD and everyone for the starters... sounds like Bluegrass is an interesting avenue to explore.

I knew he was using a flat pick for bass notes with Travis Picking, it's taken me months but i'm slowly getting there with that. The reason i'm asking about the video is because he's using almost banjo rolls as chords, and then when he does finger pick, it's not the standard bass-treble-bass-treble-treble of Travis picking.

Thanks for getting back to me, I dig ever deeper!

6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Banjo rolling.

eggvan likes this.