Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Help with guitar backing tracks

Discussion in 'Songs in the key of Gretsch' started by Denver Twang, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Denver Twang

Denver Twang Gretschie

Sep 24, 2014
    Denver
    I searched the forums and didn't come up with the answer so I'm hoping this gets me to where I want to

I would like to download and play some backing tracks through my Fender blues jr. without the need for my computer while playing. I have a Boss RC 3 looper but as I read the instructions it has to be connect to the computer and will only work with wav files.

How would I be able to download tracks from youtube or other to a usb drive and then use the drive to play the tracks from? What do I need?

I appreciate your tips

2. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    At the risk of being snarky which would be way to cool for a 68 year old rocker. :) Why in the H E double hockey sticks do you need to download to a usb drive? Why don't you just play along with the youtube video, adjust your guitar volume on your amp??? If this makes no sense it is because I have had two COSMOS. :) I assume you are wanting to practice and not use it for a performance right?

CatTones likes this.
  3. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I just play along with CDs (don't laugh---it used to be records and tapes). Crank up the stereo and let fly!

Javier668, CatTones and russmack like this.
  4. Synchro

Synchro As spoken about at Wildwood Guitars. :) Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    It’s doable, even at high elevations. :)

You’d have to capture the audio tracks and you probably could convert them to .wav files. You’d just have to find a program that does that sort of thing, which is likely to be cheap to come by. There are other ways to accomplish something similar. I recently bought a nice little stereo amp with Bluetooth built in. The audio from my iPad can be routed directly to the stereo and the stop/start of songs controlled from the iPad’s touchscreen. Works great. I could probably come up with more ways, given time.

5. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Synchro, I just had to click on that stereo amp link. Now, I've gotta spend money. A 2X25 watt tube stereo amp for $150 is amazing. I'm not concerned with the Bluetooth, tho that'd be perfect to drive the Klipsches. Thanks.

6. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    The problem is, the Blues Jr. has no line in, so connecting a player there causes an impedance mismatch and sounds awful.

I would copy the backing tracks to a smartphone or tablet and connect that to a good blutooth speaker, Bose or whatever you like ... that would be the easiest solution, if you don't want to use the PC.

The backing tracks can come from different sources, be it self ripped CDs (MP3, Ogg Vorbis or FLAC format) or downloaded videos converted to MP4.

PS: I think a smartphone works best, because you can copy files to SDcard or download directly to the phone. If you have an iPhone, I'd recommend the app nPlayer, which let's you upload files to the phone from PC, and it supports all file formats, be it video or audio.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  7. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I had an RC2. I suppose it’s pretty similar. You plug in a CD/mp3/whatever player and record the track onto the pedal first. Press play?

8. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Now you have me looking...dammit!

MTurner likes this.
  9. hogrider16

hogrider16 Gretschie

Oct 18, 2017
    charles town wv
    Wondershare AllMyTube for capturing videos or mp3 files off of Youtube.

10. Synchro

Synchro As spoken about at Wildwood Guitars. :) Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    It’s quite the unit. The power section is Class D MOSFETs, the front end is tubes. It still has the limitations of Bluetooth, occasional dropouts, etc. but overall it’s good.

11. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I have that one also, though i create my own backing tracks with a Alesis sr18 drum machine i don't see why you couldn't add pre recorded tracks. I might try this.

12. Javier668

Javier668 Electromatic

Nov 9, 2017
    Chile
    Backing tracks trough guitar amplifier sounds like crap use a powerful stereo

wabash slim likes this.
  13. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    A P.A. or nice acoustic amp work too

wabash slim likes this.