Help! Tuner replacements.....

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by markeebee, Oct 18, 2019.

1. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

I've just ordered a guitar from a seller in Japan. What could possibly go wrong?

Anyway, the guy mentioned that the tuners were a little loosey goosey, so I've been looking for available replacements just in case I can't live with them. The tuners are the typical 70s Japanese type, like this:

[​IMG]

Just wondering if it's possible to get decent quality 'drop in' replacements. I can find some made by Ping, but they're probably not great quality. Kluson have the Revolution model in a compatible package, and there are Fender branded direct replacements as well, but both those are only available 6 in line, and I would need 3L3R.

Any ideas? Bonus points for locking tuners, and double bonus if you can guess what guitar I've ordered.

2. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Aha! Schaller do some.

3. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    A lot of Fender and Gibson hardware is marked PW. Ping Wall probably make half the existing hardware in the world today. I made that up but it's probably close.

If the tuners are like '70s Fender style. Gotoh and Schaller make clones too. Not locking afaik though.

4. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    I ordered a set of Wilkinson tuners for a build I did a few years ago. I needed a green button vintage style and did not want to pay big for them.
    I was very please with fit. function and cost. Since I have put Wilkinson's on three other guitars and I love them. So another option for you.

5. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Hipshot vintage 8.5mm locking tuners should be a drop-in fit. (Double-check the post hole diameter on your headstock to be sure.) Their universal mounting plates allow you to install them with no new holes. SportHiTech should carry them for about $60/set. You can order them with Butter Bean buttons to match the original look.

6. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Vintage Japanese Mosrite?

7. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    You can get those on line new still. The originals aren't bad either. They used them on Mexi Strats in the 90's some. Mine never did wear out ..but the neck did wear out from refrets! I don't know if the Chinese ones are as good as the Japanese ones though. I kinda doubt it.
    There are also Fender replacements with that screw pattern but look different that could work:
    See: Fender 70s "F" Logo tuners.

Or these from StewMac https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_an...v8WSyY5jgFZFtdjBPZ-RsSCIIuL4xhRhoCcYIQAvD_BwE

But it would nice to find some Japanese ones , maybe used. They were used on early Squiers too.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  8. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    For what guitar exactly.
    No one can say what tuners will drop in unless we know what brand, model, yr etc

Do you want straight drop ins or don't mind doing some post reaming

9. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

section2 likes this.
  10. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Thanks, but those ones (and the Fender ones) only seem to be available 6 in line, and I'd need 3+3

11. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Good Lord. How do you do that?

[​IMG]

Currently flying across the sea from Japan to UK. Hopefully.

12. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Dude that’s awesome!

13. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
  14. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Is it there yet?!

15. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Arrived in the UK within 18 hours of posting in Japan. Those boys are efficient.

Languishing in UK customs for 13 days since it arrived :(

16. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Annoying, but familiar... patience grasshopper.:)

17. mandobandit

mandobandit Gretschie

Apr 1, 2019
    Ohio
    I’m sending back this set as do not replace the the stock Grover Sta Tite tuners on my 2018 6128 59 VS Duo Jet
    Hip shot tells me the post hole on that guitar is a stepped hole 6mm/8.5mm
    Any body tried the New Kluson tuners in this application

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice