Help please!Toggle switch tip problem

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by psychocat, Aug 14, 2015.

1. psychocat

psychocat Electromatic

Aug 8, 2015
    germany
    Hi everyone!
    I've got a problem with the switch tip on my 5120.
    The toggle switch got broken and was replaced with a new one by a friend.
    The nice old chrome tip doesn't fit,and I got an other by Tv Jones because I don't want this ugly black plastic tip.
    And today I tried to get the Tv Jones tip on the switch but it doesn't fit also.
    As far as I know there are only two kinds of toggle switches,the asian ones and the americans.The old stock tip is for asian switches and the Tv Jones for americans so I am confused.
    Please help me with this problem,and thanks in advance.:)

Btw I can make a pic with the Tv Jones tip if it helps

2. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Thread pitch could be different. I just ordered a 2 pack of new switch tips for this reason. I'll let you know.

3. Bill

Bill Country Gent

Oct 16, 2012
    Cambs, UK
    They are indeed different, you need one for Electromatics, they have a metric thread.

4. Lizardkinged

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Bill if only it were that simple. i ordered a metric switch, and only the shaft for the nut/washers was metric... The tips were SAE/ too big for my metric tip.

I ordered a pair though so it wont be a problem in the future. Plus my Jagmaster is going to be gretchified soon anyway. Another thought is I could just clean off my old electromatic switch for all I really care.

Not to mention I could just be like Ted Nudgent and put the Gretsch strap buttons on my guitars.

5. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    FWIW, I always order the switch and tip at the same time from GFS :D

6. Bill

Bill Country Gent

Oct 16, 2012
    Cambs, UK
    The metric vs imperial tips have different part nos. I also wanted to use them on a non-Gretsch switch, but didn't fit, there's various switch threads out there. Annoying cos I like those tips. But there is a specific part for Electros.

7. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    If your friend installed a non-Gretsch or non-Switchcraft switch, there's no guarantee that any Gretsch switch tip will fit at all. Like was previously mentioned, thread pitch is often different, especially on imported switches from different manufacturers. Unfortunately, since most Gretsch guitars use a metal switch tip, they are less forgiving with variances in thread pitch-- with plastic tips you can sometimes force them enough to crossthread and fit without breaking.

8. psychocat

psychocat Electromatic

Aug 8, 2015
    germany
    Okay,thanks so far.
    So I need to find the right tip or change the switch.
    I wish that here in germany gretsch parts would be easier to get.

9. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Didn't Martine (armygirl) get around this on her Jet Club?

10. Bill

Bill Country Gent

Oct 16, 2012
    Cambs, UK
    Should have remembered this earlier, that's what happens when posting from work... the guitar in question is right next to me now -

Can't remember if the imperial one is a loose fit over the switch and my Annie is now gone, so can't compare to my 5420. But I got round a similar thing on another guitar by lightly coating the switch tip thread in petroleum jelly. Grease would do. Don't need or want much on there.
    Put some 2-pack epoxy or chemical metal inside the switch tip. "Screw" the tip on - twist it so the threads get some epoxy in them. Centre the tip so it looks 'right' on there and isn't cocked to one side.
    Before the epoxy goes totally hard, but is on the way to setting up, carefully wind off the switch tip. Do any clean-up needed. You should have a decently-fitting tip.

I've done this on motorbikes as well on broken castings. With care it fits well and stays put.

Or buy the right tip from the US, they're like $5 but I'd guess postage would be like ours is, around double that.

11. psychocat

psychocat Electromatic

Aug 8, 2015
    germany
    That probably would work if the thread pitch is too big,but it isn't that way.
    I probably should have mentioned that before.
    I can get the new tip about 30% on there but not 100%.
    I hope you all know what I mean.

12. Bill

Bill Country Gent

Oct 16, 2012
    Cambs, UK
    Ah. I couldn't remember whether it was too small or too baggy.
    Here's a couple of UK links to what I think is the right part - post cost to Germany shouldn't be too bad -
    link and link

13. DW_Dillinger

DW_Dillinger Country Gent

I have a few electromatic switch tips laying around. Pm me your address if you want me to send you one.

14. psychocat

psychocat Electromatic

Aug 8, 2015
    germany
    Electromatic switch tips won't fit unfortunaly.I tried to get the tip from my 5420 on there but it didn't work.

@ DW_Dillinger thank you for the offer,but that won't work.

Btw I joined gretsch talk just a few days ago but already like it a lot.:D

15. Lizardkinged

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    I just bought 2 on Ebay for 8 dollars shipped. You can probably find some there. Just make sure they say there for the "professional series" or whatever.

I just hate it when the shipping on little bits like these cost 3-4 times as much as the little bits in the first place.

16. Lizardkinged

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    So the ones I ordered from Cream City music fit my All parts and Stew Mac "metric" switches. but the shafts are too long on the switches. The thread pitch and diameter are fine though.

I'm going to have to file off 2.4-2.5mm on any or most of the switches I plan to use these on. Doesn't fit on an electromatic switch. thread pitch and DIA are too big and the proline tips are actually a little bit smaller in general. Weird.

17. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh

I got one (my famous only guitar mod ever attempted!) and stuck it on with superglue. I've no intention of changing it and it hasn't moved since. Looks fab!

18. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    Ahhh...the expert weighs in at last!!!

19. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh
    Of course! I have to be good at something on here! Some folk are 'dynasonics' guys, others are 'set-up' gurus, I'm the 'switch tip' gal!

drmilktruck likes this.
  20. Shishu

Shishu Newbie

Jan 19, 2020
    Connecticut
    Lots of questions and answers here but none list the actual thread size of the switch tip. 3 mm 0.5 is too small,4mm0.7 is too big and usa 4/40 thread is too small yet 6/32 is too big. None of the above thread sises fit. So what is the actual thread dimensions is the million dollar question.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice