Help me to pimp my 5426

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by ruggero78, Mar 12, 2019.

1. ruggero78

ruggero78 Electromatic

Mar 12, 2019
    Italy
    I have a new electromatic sparkle grey G5426. I would like to improve playability. I think I'll not change pickups for now. I'm interested in tuning stability. I would like to hear if is necessary changing tuning machines? I've found that Gotoh vintage tuners suits perfectly. I don't wanto to make new holes.
    I'm also interested in a roller bridge (even if I don have a bigsby). I'm searching for a perfect subsitution with 12'' radius. What's your opinion? thanks

2. LongJohn

LongJohn Gretschie

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    Welcome ruggero, nice guitar. The usual answer to your questions is "start with the nut". As simple as making sure the string slots are the correct width, spacing and depth will go a long way
    toward tuning stability and the current tuning machines should be fine. I'll leave the bridge answers for someone who knows more than I do.

section2 likes this.
  3. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Welcome!

Most tuning stability issues are caused by the nut. If you're having trouble keeping the guitar in tune, check the nut first. If the slots aren't cut well, the strings will get caught in the nut and you'll have tuning problems.

If you don't have experience working with nuts, I'd suggest taking the guitar to the luthier at a good repair shop. They should be able to fix your problem quickly. In the meantime, you can try lubricating the nut slots with a bit of nut sauce or even some graphite from a pencil. I like to get a mechanical pencil and scribble in the slots before stringing the guitar.

New tuners can be a nice addition, but they won't help with tuning stability.

I wouldn't recommend a roller bridge. If you're having problems with this bridge, you should be able to replace it with any good-quality Tune-o-Matic bridge. Just double-check the post spacing to make sure the new bridge will fit.

If you want to try something a little different, you can order a custom Tru Arc or Compton bridge. They're pricey, but everyone who's tried them seems to love them.

4. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    We have a saying, "If it isn't broken, don't fix it." I'd leave the tuners alone unless they become an issue. Pickups as well unless there's a problem or you have a specific need for another type. As stated above, make sure the nut is right.

As to a bridge, I'd avoid a roller myself. Too many little moving parts. They're worse than the rattle-o-matic the guitar comes with. Even without a Bigsby, a solid one-piece bar bridge like a Tru-Arc or Compton come matched to the radius, can be made to suit minute adjustments, and offer superior tonal capabilities due to the various materials available. Tru-Arcs even come in glass. Tim at Tru-Arc, and Wayne Compton are both great guys to deal with, and will help you decide which is best for your needs.

section2 likes this.
  5. ruggero78

ruggero78 Electromatic

Mar 12, 2019
    Italy
    Thanks for the replies... you are a good virtual community.
    Reading above I made up my mind to wait for machines substitution. I noticed that perhaps sometimes those stock machine heads have some erratic movements: sometimes the twists are regular and sometimes 1/5 of turn brings the pitch out of control! I don't know if it is a matter of capo...
    I recently kept in touch with tru arc producer but considering shipping and fees to Italy it would cost me half the value of the guitar. ...may be Compton il less pricey?
    Any other east made opportunity?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  6. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    The erratic tuning machine performance might also be the nut. If the slot is so tight that your string is getting caught in the nut, you might find that turning the machine head can produce sudden jumps when the string comes unstuck.

If the problem persists after you've taken care of the nut, you might need to replace the machine heads.

Forum member @Dave-B makes a custom solid bridge called the dBridge. I believe he's in the UK, so his shipping rates to Italy might be more affordable. Here's his link: http://www.db-guitars.com/

wabash slim likes this.
  7. ruggero78

ruggero78 Electromatic

Mar 12, 2019
    Italy
    WOW
    thank you
    I'll take kare of the nut..... The problem is 99% there...

8. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    There is absolutely no point in fitting a tone sucking roller bridge if you don’t have a Bigsby.

ruggero78 likes this.
  9. ruggero78

ruggero78 Electromatic

Mar 12, 2019
    Italy
    The production is stopped... :(

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice