Help me get used to my new 5422 (technique, tuning, etc.)...

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by EssEll, Nov 6, 2019.

1. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    FWIW, the 5422's ship from the factory with 11-49 strings.

A lot of good advice already given, and a good set up is a must.

That makes the difference from a "so so" or ok playing guitar, to a great playing guitar that's a keeper.

Best of luck

EssEll and section2 like this.
  2. Parttime

Parttime Gretschie

Dec 6, 2018
    Texas
    I had the same problem with my 5420.
    I’ve always played country rhythm guitar, medium strings with a death grip.
    After two years of learning some leads with 10-46 gauge strings my grip has finally loosened up and moves more freely around the neck. I guess what I’m saying is it will get better assuming the set is good from the tuners to the Bigsby.
    There is one important thing I need to mention. I have to tune my g string down just one mark on my snark tuner. Maybe it’s just me but anytime I mash the g string between the first and second fret it goes sharp. Absolutely can not fix this issue.

EssEll likes this.
  3. EssEll

EssEll Electromatic

Oct 11, 2019
    Seattle area
    I’ll definitely report back, folks, after I take it in to Mike Lull here in Bellevue WA — they’re the best around as far as I know — and let you know what I learn. Looking forward to getting it “right.” A sweet guitar.

MyGirlGretta, Waxhead and G5422T like this.
  4. EssEll

EssEll Electromatic

Oct 11, 2019
    Seattle area
    OK, I got my 5422 back yesterday from the shop and it’s pretty close to heaven now. I gig regularly and tune down a step to better suit my vocal range, and they did the set-up (slightly less string tension) with that in mind. They said that new strings is actually one of the first things they recommend when a guitar starts to get quirky — it’s an inexpensive step of course, and the renewed string tension and even not having fret dents on the underside of strings can help restore things. (And man, are we taking micro-physics here, or what? ) Anyway they did the usual truss-rod adjustment, made sure the nut slots were adequate size and lubed, tweaked the bridge positions and all that. The expert touch was apparently all that was needed here (and as I said above, these guys said they’ve never seen a new guitar like this that didn’t benefit from a good set-up). Someone above mentioned too that you can forget about using a capo with these guitars, which was concerning to me because I have to do that a lot (mostly second fret) and they assured me that there should be next to no issues with doing so — maybe micro tuning to do, after of course making sure the capo tension is as minimal as possible. Long story short is that this baby is now set to go and I can’t play it enough. Rock on.

new6659 and section2 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice