Help , im looking for filtertron pickup advice

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by joemiracle220, Jun 26, 2019.

1. joemiracle220

joemiracle220 Electromatic

Jun 25, 2019
    First of all sorry for the crappy playing , i recently broke my right wrist and had to get a plate and screws put in, im about 5 weeks out from surgery .

Im looking for a set of TV jones or similar pickups that will make me love the way my guitar sounds as much as i love how it looks.

It came with classics and wanting more volume out of it i changed them out to a powertron and t90. i feel like the powertron is to compressed and and wanting something a little brighter and maybe a tad more output with out being overly compressed , but more open sounding.

im thinking of a set of the magnatrons but wanted to ask people who were more familiar with these pickups than me. ive heard the Tarmonds are great but i duno if i want the hum.

Ive thought about trying the psychotron from McNelly pickups but im not sure if it will fit in a tvjones slot.

http://www.calumetguitars.com/pickups.html

here is a video i made to help you guide me and maybe better understand what im wanting. again sorry for the sub par playing

2. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
  3. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Welcome to Gretsch-Talk Joe, and I hope your continued recovery from your surgery continues to go well.

You might want to go to the TV Jones site and check the sound clips for the Ray Butts Full Fidelity Filtertron, and the Supertron pickups.

The other question that I would be about your amp. If you could tell us what you're playing through, it might help with that compression issue you're hearing. On the other hand, it might not, but it's worth the ask.

pmac11 likes this.
  4. CousinWarsh

CousinWarsh Gretschie

Jun 24, 2018
    Western NY
    You said you liked the P90, why not get one in the bridge, and maybe a noise gate? Full disclosure I'm a fan of single coils and p90s especially. The hum is something I’m ok with.

Tony65x55 and Merc like this.
  5. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Joe!
    welcome mat 6.jpg

6. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Why not go back to classics? For more volume, use the knob on your amp.

Welcome to the forum.

pmac11 likes this.
  7. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Welcome to GT.
    My answer is the same as what I said on the tele forum.
    Filtertrons are lower output, raise them almost right under the strings to start, and go up or down from there. Turn up the amp and hear the magic!
    Tv Classic+ bridge is a killer!

T-Armonds are awesome too. From experience, the hum is a none-issue.

8. joemiracle220

Jun 25, 2019
    Maybe my powertron isnt high enough. ..... that could be the issue.. i have it set only a few mm higher than where a full sized humbucker is supposed to be because thats what im familiar with. .. ill get some foam and see if putting the pickup closer to the strings help me to like it more.

calebaaron666 and Henry like this.
  9. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Good move! Let us know how it works out, Joe.

10. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Tvj recommendations. https://tvjones.com/pages/tv-jones-adjustments-schematics-modifications

joemiracle220 and Merc like this.
  11. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    These are pulled from TV Jones that might help out with a comparison. I’ve heard that they're helpful as well if you contact them directly.

Maybe a simple T90 would be a good match if you like the neck so much.

3B2DF4FC-419E-4111-A850-742E9E425878.png
    1BE3FD5F-D949-4FF3-8B7E-A20C2160F536.png

ZackyDog likes this.
  12. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    When you flipped from the powertron to the p90, I heard a flat flat response turn into a more scooped response that yielded a more focus rise in low mids and presence. You perceive that as less compressed, am I correct? Yet you play with a dirtier signal and dont want to lose your touch dynamics so your ear likes the single coil larger bobbin pickup while the overwound filtertron became more "creamy and slightly saturated" in comparison to the pop of the unwound strings and focused attack of the wound strings w the p90... is all this correct? (and can you tell me if the tone and vol is 500K or 250-300K).. I'm hear for you and you dont have to jump, I am a tvjones installer and am here to help you. @joemiracle220

Merc and Ricochet like this.
  13. DougCraft

DougCraft Gretschie

Apr 24, 2018
    Northern Colorado
    I would vote for a more "classic" High Sensitive Filter'Tron or TVJones equivalent - then you will have a benchmark from which to judge. I find my guitars with the HS Filter'Trons sound great for both clean and overdriven tones, but they do require some amp adjustments compared to a PAF style humbucker or a single coil.

14. joemiracle220

Jun 25, 2019
    sorry for the delay i was on vacation visiting family

to answer your first question, yes, it sounds drastically less compressed and open, with an air around the note feeling.

the powertron seems overly compressed , like a regular sized humbucker is on a 8 on a scale of compression and the powertron feels and sounds like its on a 10.

so bassicly the answer to your second question is also yes.

the tone and volume used to both be 500k however in an effort to try and fix the problem i had 2 1Meg cts lying around so it curently, and in the video above has a 1Meg volume and tone.

i didnt notice very much of a diffrence between the 500 and 1M it maybe got a little brighter but nothing else seemed to change.

im using a .022 orange cap on the tone.

15. joemiracle220

Jun 25, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice