help identifying an oldies song....

Discussion in 'Gretsch-Talk Music' started by Lockupyourfatdog, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Gretschie

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    Hi! I’m hoping there’s some fans of the oldies on here that can help me identify a song. Perhaps the title and artist if possible. It’s been so long since I’ve heard it and I only have choppy memories of the lyrics....

It’s a song about a man that hears something under his bed and is trying to figure it out. “What’s that baby what’s that, what’s that baby what’s that, that’s that baby what’s that, what’s thaaaaat under my bed” lyrical genius right?! All I really remember is the last verse because it’s messed up!

“I had me a girlfriend, a long time ago, she told me a lie, and now she don’t live no mo.”

Any ideas? Any help is most appreciated

2. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Not even vaguely familiar. Good luck figuring it out.

3. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
  4. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    Nothing remotely comes to mind but what's your definition of oldie? You look youngish in your avatar so your definition might be different than mine and others.

Lockupyourfatdog and larryb like this.
  5. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Good point....my kids will say, "have you ever heard that really old song, Sweet Child O' Mine?"
    LOL!!

dak55 likes this.
  6. Lockupyourfatdog

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    Ha! Thanks! Look youngish but I’m more oldish. It’s a song from the fifties. Classic 1-4-5 pattern. May have been a saxophone involved. I swear it’s a real song

7. Lockupyourfatdog

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    I do stand up comedy and I’ve been getting booked for that a lot more than I have for music so I’ve been trying to put together a set that includes playing. Best of both worlds. I think I have a good premise but it’s all based on that old song that seems to have vanished from existence

8. RoyClark

RoyClark Electromatic

Apr 13, 2019
    Stafford UK
  9. Gregor

Gregor Gretschie

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Well I certainly go back to the 50's, but have to say I've never heard those lyrics....maybe I would recognize the melody.....sorry no help here but hopefully someone can help. You've tweaked my interested now!

10. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I'd think that comedy would need to rely on the audiences' familiarity with the topic. Good luck.

11. I tried as well . . . I Google-searched those partial lyrics, and listened to some interesting ’60s songs I never heard before (not sure why they came up in the search), so efforts were not all lost on this side.

Best of luck.

Lockupyourfatdog likes this.
  12. Lockupyourfatdog

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    Sure it’s easy to dismiss something that isn’t easily relatable. But if I know the comedy is there it’s worth it to pursue.

13. Lockupyourfatdog

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    Thanks for trying I really appreciate your efforts. I’ve been doing that too and have a constant play of four different oldies stations playing on pandora. I’ll find this thing yet!

Jena likes this.
  14. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Since the subject matter is jealous Mens killin unfatfil Wimmins, you could do a medley with the Beatles lyrics. " I'd rather see you dead little girl than to be with another man." Not sure we can get away with doing those jealous lover revenge songs anymore. Of course nobody is listening to the words anyway. "And there I was just sitting in the refrigerator " :)

wabash slim and Lockupyourfatdog like this.
  15. Lockupyourfatdog

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    Actually that’s totally the concept but I’m going to pull it through a few subjects of unacceptable lyrics to today’s standards. Like Eddie Cochran’s My Way for example

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice