Help !. I need to identify my jet model.

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by spikeread, Mar 14, 2019.

1. spikeread

spikeread Electromatic

Jan 6, 2015
    sharnbrook
    It is a flat top solid jet. It has an ELECTROMATIC emblem across the top of the headstock. Flat body, non bound. 2x gretsch humbuckers, broadcaster size. Block inlay. Four controls, 2x volume, 2x tone. 3 way pickup selector at the top. This one is a sunburst finish. Having fun with this guitar, would like to know all I can about it. Thanks, Spikeread..

2. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Kinda sounds like a junior Jet but a picture would really help.

spikeread and T Bone like this.
  3. Got . . . serial number ?

Oh . . . welcome !

spikeread likes this.
  4. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Pics, super helpful in an ID.

spikeread likes this.
  5. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, spikeread!
    welcome mat orange.jpg

spikeread likes this.
  6. spikeread

spikeread Electromatic

Jan 6, 2015
    sharnbrook
    IMG_20190316_122539780.jpg IMG_20190316_122547010.jpg IMG_20190316_122615007.jpg IMG_20190316_122647466.jpg IMG_20190316_122703817.jpg IMG_20190316_122729943.jpg IMG_20190316_122755276.jpg IMG_20190316_123608527.jpg Thank you all for your welcome. I am now going to attempt to attach the photo's of the 'mystery-machine'!,
    Ok, looks like we got it, thanks to my 15 year old daughter. Am 74 now and need all the help I can git ! ha. On these pics as I said, I' m just having fun with this guitar, I picked it up last year and love it. Have and have had many up market guitars in my time but love the way budget instruments are so good these days. Originally the headstock just had the Electromatic logo, trussrod cover was plain and no decorative work. Am in the process of fitting Tremelo, waiting for springs so it's a 'two string' fiddle right now. Block inlay fretboard certainly looks original. No numbering or lettering anywhere, not even a sticker saying 'made in China', or even Timbucktoo.......It is very well put together, I'm sure it's not 'a bitza'. Came minus a scratchplate, so no clue there. The 'G' and pickguard I've added too. There is no stamping or writing in the channeling . With the Gretsch pickups and Electromatic logo it would seem that that is what it is, but, I have made many checks, Google etc can find no reference to anything under an Electromatic Banner alone. I found a mention of some models made in Japan or Korea that were for their 'home market' only, could't find any description though.. So here we are, thats my problem ! well one of them ha. Again thank you for my welcome and your patience while this old fella struggles on.

Attached Files:

7. spikeread

spikeread Electromatic

Jan 6, 2015
    sharnbrook
    Hello Englishman, were you born here in uk ?. I lived in the States for a while in the 80's, my c b handle was Englishman , I drove a liquid food tanker all over the shop. I see you are in Detroit, that reminded me of being on the way back into the US from Windsor, Canada. I found myself stranded in 'no mans land' on the Ambassador Bridge there. . They wanted to see my uk passport !..........problem was it was down in Florida !, I did have copy of my work permit which probably saved the day, they did make me wait all night before letting me back in though, gave me a chance to catch some sleep. Anyway, thanks a lot, and good luck with my enquiry Sir.

8. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    Possibility it's a dolled up G2403 Jet Club with swapped pickups, added trem, I kind of like the pick guard and headstock. Junior Jet model numbers are sometimes hard to figure out. There were a lot of versions of these and the model numbers also were indicative of color. I have never have found the correct model number for mine yet. They are a nice platform for mods. Maybe someone will be along who can nail it.

spikeread likes this.
  9. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    That would be my assessment as well. Late 90s-early 2000s, pre-Fender.

http://gretschpages.com/guitars/models/2403-electromatic-jet-club/

Welcome to Gretsch-Talk!

spikeread likes this.
  10. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    What ever it is, I like it. NICE

spikeread likes this.
  11. spikeread

spikeread Electromatic

Jan 6, 2015
    sharnbrook
    Thanks Dave, It all helps, piece by piece will get there. I can't see even a trace of a number. Does yours have 4 controls or 3, also is your headstock logo Electromatic please. John

12. spikeread

spikeread Electromatic

Jan 6, 2015
    sharnbrook
    Ha thanks Johnny, Whatever it is I like it too, thanks mate. John

13. spikeread

spikeread Electromatic

Jan 6, 2015
    sharnbrook
    drmilktruck likes this.
  14. Fredo

Fredo Synchromatic

Jan 18, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    That's a severe break angle over the bridge. I'd run the strings over the Bigsby's tension bar.

spikeread likes this.
  15. spikeread

spikeread Electromatic

Jan 6, 2015
    sharnbrook
    Yep Fredo, I agree, I'll run em over the top when my springs arrive. Thanks for the comment !, John.

16. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

Dec 2, 2016
    Washougal
    I just picked up a Jet Club with the stock gainy humbuckers. It's a real nice player, especially considering how inexpensive it was.
    Someday, I may put a Bigsby on it.
    Enjoy

spikeread likes this.
  17. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    Hey John, yours might also be a G1413? Late 90's - early 2000's.

gretsch-jet-club-g1413_360_eaf1a06e812e1f4e2633f98af18ebd54.jpg

A lot of these era Juniors/Clubs are the dickens to identify back to a model number. Different colors = different model numbers, single pups, 2 pups, differing number of knobs, to make it more confusing there was a Synchromatic line that sort of mirrored the Electromatic line, and they were so cheap no one cared.:p Have fun with yours. That's what these are for.

Mine is below. Model unknown w/mini humbuckers. I'm doing some kind of refinish, electronics swap soon and might steal your headstock concept.

IMG_20190213_102042.jpg IMG_20181013_213352.jpg

spikeread likes this.
  18. spikeread

spikeread Electromatic

Jan 6, 2015
    sharnbrook
    Thats great, glad to hear it. Hope you get much enjoyment out of it. Thanks for telling me about it. John

19. spikeread

spikeread Electromatic

Jan 6, 2015
    sharnbrook
    Dave, Ah, now we getting there !. Thank you so much for this, excellant. Love the pics. Yep, having fun for sure. Got some more plans for it. I can't get used to how good the low end priced guitars are nowadays. When I started out, 1959, they were hells own job to try and learn on !, ha, the affordable ones heh, somehow kept going though. John.

dak55 and new6659 like this.
  20. spikeread

spikeread Electromatic

Jan 6, 2015
    sharnbrook

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice