Hello from the UK!

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by BerlinSunn, Nov 17, 2012.

1. BerlinSunn

BerlinSunn Gretschie

May 17, 2012
    Newport, South Wales
    Hey!

I'm Ben, and am looking to upgrade my guitarness to a nice Gretsch!

I am pretty clueless, having played a few but they aren't that common it seems and I have only found a handful to play so will be asking for advice on which to get to suit my various needs :D There is such a big variety of even one model its quite confusing hah hah

Looking forward to chatting to everyone!

2. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Welcome aboard Ben! :D

I don't even need to know what style you play or what guitars you like - fact is, you need a Duo Jet! :cool: (ignore me, I'm a Jetaholic).

3. BerlinSunn

BerlinSunn Gretschie

May 17, 2012
    Newport, South Wales
    Hah hah :D

Actually the Duo Jet was one that I'd ruled out already ;)

4. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Well pfft, it's clear you have absolutely no taste despite your cool username (however Berlin rain ain't so fun when you're living in it), so I'll just pretend you don't exist then ;)

In all seriousness, what ARE you after? rattle off some features, some sounds... humbuckers (filtertrons)? single coils (dynasonics)? bands you like? anything to help us identify what you're chasing so we can help you narrow down the selection..

And if you feel like rubbing some salt in open wounds, tell me why you don't like Jets.. :p

5. beatnik

beatnik Synchromatic

Jul 25, 2010
    Wiltshire
    welcome mate from another ben, just curious are u newport wales?

6. BerlinSunn

BerlinSunn Gretschie

May 17, 2012
    Newport, South Wales
    Hah hah indeed - that was the reason for the picking of the username :p

I thought that would be posted elsewhere but, yeh I'll start my essay right now; ;)

Well for starters I play prog rock and ambient most of the time and usually have a very dark tone but the ability to go clean and jangly is always nice, especially for the harsher riffs that I'm rather fond of (think Larks Tongue Pt II by King Crimson). But, I tend to play a bit of everything so need a versatile guitar, go from prog to metal to bit o' jazzy, rockabilly and all sorts.

That said, I'm not too hot on the technicalities and so the difference in pick ups is a bit of a mystery to me; I just focus on playing and never really worried about tech hah hah

Bigsby is a must, partly because it looks so cool (yes I'm shallow in that regard) and partly because Ive picked up the bad habit of bending my guitar neck for note dives so I need another way to do them that is easier and not potentially bad for the neck.

I'd really like a larger hollow body, I've played a White Falcon and Country Club and the size really suited my posture and sounded ace through an Orange Dual Terror which is the amp I have ATM.

Something that is really important as well is that I play with .13s at C standard and don't wanna compromise the tuning if I need to, so I need a guitar that can cope with the lower end tuning.

I'm a mental fan of King Crimson, Knifeworld, Brian Setzer, Depeche Mode (I know Gore from Mode uses Gretsch often).

So, well yeh, that's it I guess hah hah

and beatnik - yes I'm in Wales ^^

7. fender62custom

fender62custom Gretschified

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
    Greetings Ben!!! welcome to the forum!!! l wouldn't discount a Jet for the sounds your chasing ....all the best with it!!!

8. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Aha! you play a Dual Terror (so do I) ...so you do have -some- taste ;)

One last question - what's your budget roughly? can you afford to go Pro-line, or would an Electromatic be better for you? I'm thinking one of the new Electromatic 5240Ts might suit you, but if you CAN afford to go Pro-line it's definitely worth it, and will give you a lot more options to consider... I actually think a Falcon would be great for you, if one is within reach, they are INSANELY good.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  9. MoonshineCalbilly

MoonshineCalbilly Country Gent

Feb 22, 2012
    Redding, CA
  10. BerlinSunn

BerlinSunn Gretschie

May 17, 2012
    Newport, South Wales
    I have much taste ;D I love the DT, such a cool amp. Was worth every penny.

I've got about £1600/1700 disposable atm. It's a push but I could get a second hand pro line, the electromatic seems a waste when I'm fairly close to some of the pros on eBay and Gumtree etc, though the Falcon is out of my range. My current guitar is on the out so I do need to get one rather soon cause I've got performances coming up in the coming months and need a stable guitar to use.

Thanks for the warm welcome people :)

11. ampe

ampe Country Gent

May 11, 2011
    belgium
    electromatics aren't really a waste
    they are pretty neat guitars :)
    especially when you have some extra cash for some mods

12. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
  13. BerlinSunn

BerlinSunn Gretschie

May 17, 2012
    Newport, South Wales
    Yeh I had looked at the US because they are so much cheaper than in the UK but import duty is 350/400 when I've checked and takes it just out of grasp :/

I've been looking at the 6120s cause they seem to go cheaper than the Club and Falcons atm, would they be suitable?

This one caught my eye and the owner said it had a larger spring in the bigsby so apparently I could get a bigger note dive than usual which would be very cool. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GRETSCH-G...al_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item20cd7f5c96

14. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Ouch, is import duty that bad? damn :/

That 6120 is a fine guitar - I love those green tiger maples, too.. the colour is so rawk! Those come with TVJones Classics, basically upgraded Gretsch Filtertrons, and would suit the tone you're after well. The only downside I can think of is that they've the shorter scale 24.6" neck, but given you're using 13s that shouldn't be a problem.

You can read more of the specs here: http://gretschguitars.com/products/index.php?partno=2400109850

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that no-one else bids on it & it goes home with you!

15. BerlinSunn

BerlinSunn Gretschie

May 17, 2012
    Newport, South Wales
    Yeh it's a good looker,

I'll be sitting hoping hah hah
    Thanks for your help! :)

16. BerlinSunn

BerlinSunn Gretschie

May 17, 2012
    Newport, South Wales
    Oh and actually, one last thing;
    What about the 6118? I know it's a smaller body but would it still be tone godliness like the falcon and 6120?

17. welcome to gretsch-talk, Ben.

I was going to suggest one of the Annies. the 6118 is a good guitar. I was going to suggest one of the newer Annies. the Jaguar Tan Annie is quite the guitar. it has the newer M & L bracing and should be able to handle your C tuning. (a buddy of mine, Joe Richardson, uses C tuning a lot. he's played with Alan Wilder of Depeche Mode, also.) otherwise, the White Falcon is a very good guitar.

18. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Yeah an Annie might suit you well - you played both an Annie & a Falcon, and the 6120 is pretty close to the Falcon, so you have a good idea of the differences... if that Annie spoke to you then I'd say go for it :)

19. BerlinSunn

BerlinSunn Gretschie

May 17, 2012
    Newport, South Wales

Hey, oh that's cool! Wilder seems to be a cool chap!

Again, they all seem to have different names that don't always make sense to me; Is this the same as the usual 6118? Im assuming T means tremolo/bigsby and RC reverse colour?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271104797866?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I noticed this has Filtertrons and the Setzer 6120 has TV Jones - what is the basic difference? The TVs are in the more expensive guitars so Im assuming they're better in some way?