Heavy Bottoms?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by stevo, Sep 13, 2018.

1. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    (Yes, have fun with the title. In case you wonder, I'm not a member of the big butt club...)

I'm thinking of trying the strings that have heavy bottoms and light tops. IE, 10 top and the wound strings from an 11 set. My thought is to get more thump and volume from those lower strings. But I'm wondering what the overall balance is like? Anyone use them?

Howard hughes likes this.
  2. Howard hughes

Howard hughes Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    I don't like big butts and i cannot lie! aha! i got there first! don't like em standard tens on everything. for me i can't get the action as even feeling with heavy bottoms, i like it to feel even under my hand around the 12th fret all across my hand. people might say can you even feel a difference? yes i can! to counter that ide have to lower the action more on the bass side and i don't want that. i don't have my action normal though, i do it by feel not measurements, i want it to feel the same height bass and treble side, i just don't understand why people jack the bass side up? peeeeeace!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  3. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I use .010-.049 and .010-.052 on a few of the Gibsons and they work out well. I don't really notice a big difference in low end response vs. .010-.046, but the difference in action is definitely there. The low ones wind up not quite so floppy/limp and the action of the highs are unchanged.

I'm kind of surprised how well the stock .009-.046 gauges are working for me on my Cutlass. The light unwound strings can catch me by surprise in their ease of bending still and they maybe seem a bit more biting sonically than .010s (not necessarily a bad thing on this guitar), but all around I think they work surprisingly well for me.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    stevo likes this.
  4. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Thankfully this wasn't about Kardashians.

MTurner, audept, stevo and 1 other person like this.
  5. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    That's a big subject...

MTurner, drmilktruck and audept like this.
  6. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Excellent thoughts - I hadn't thought of the action. I actually might like being able to lower my bass side. But not sure the difference in feel will be desirable.

Howard hughes likes this.
  7. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Not sure if it's what your looking for .... D'Addario EJ19 Light top , Medium bottom .012 - .056 There for bluegrass style / acoustics but maybe there is something similar out there on the market for you .

8. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    sorry ... had to come back to this thread @stevo ..... fat bottom girls you make the rock in' world go round

drmilktruck and stevo like this.
  9. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I should have mentioned that I'm thinking of electric strings for my 6119. I currently use standard 10s.

thunder58 likes this.
  10. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Used this setup for dropped D tuning on one of my guitars. Sounded nice and felt good. The problem was that I had to file the nut to avoid tuning-problems on the bass strings.
    When changing back to regular strings I had to install a new nut.

stevo likes this.
  11. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I wish they would just butt out....

MTurner and drmilktruck like this.
  12. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    10-52 were my go to strings on my epi les paul

13. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I figured it was for an electric , just thought I'd throw that out there . Perhaps an email or phone call to D'Addario or other string companies may help . best of luck in the search

14. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Doesn't Ernie Ball make Hybrid Slinkys with that idea?

(Flesh Tuxedo is a good name for a band.)

Alberta_Slim and stevo like this.
  15. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I play heavy bottoms (GHS TNT) on ALL my solidbodies.

But not on the Gretsch. On it I play straight 11s. I need the higher tension on the plain strings to offset the shorter scale compared to me longer-scale solids (all Fenders). Plus, I think the heavier plain strings sound less strident with Filtetrons and the hollowbody reacts more to the slightly higher tension.

16. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Love it!

Also, Flex Tuxedo. I love word plays for bands.

17. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Personally, I think they're a great idea if you habitually play in lower tunings. I would be concerned long term about the additional tension on one side of the neck.

18. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    According to my news feed, everything seems to be about the Kardashians! :eek:

19. wilblee

wilblee Synchromatic

May 23, 2013
    TX Hill Country
    I play 10-52 on my Falcon, my PRS DGT, and my 335. I play 9-46 on everything else. Tried 'em out years ago and never switched back.

20. Fredo

Fredo Synchromatic

Jan 18, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    Light top, heavy bottoms work well on my 5129. Like may 51xxs I've read about, mine has almost no relief with no tension on the truss rod. If I use regular 10s I have to crank up the bridge to avoid buzzing at the low frets. With LTHBs I can keep the bridge low and the first and second strings are easy to bend. I didn't notice any effect on string balance, i.e. their relative volumes.