Hearing aids

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Ricochet, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    So when was the last time you got your hearing tested?

2. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    What?

Yeah, I know, predictable.
    Used to be every year when I was driving. Been ten years now.

Aymara and Ricochet like this.
  3. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    om.jpg

I really dont want to pay someone to tell me I can't hear
    :oops:

blueruins and Ricochet like this.
  4. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    After 35 years of playing Rock'n'Roll too loud i know my hearing is shot :(

Ricochet likes this.
  5. Staggerlee

Staggerlee Country Gent

Jul 19, 2012
    Twin Cities
    My step father is 76. He has had bad hearing for many many years. Just like most people he was completely unaware of it. It was always other people who were mumbling or not speaking up loud enough. He would often feel out of place in social situations such as a noisy bar or restaurant or on the street, but it was never his fault, it was always other people. Finally at the ripe age of 74 or so, he went to get hearing aids. He wore them all of ONE day before relegating them deep in some drawer and never taking them out again. The problem: he was hearing to much noise!!! Duh!

Quite honestly I get it. Wearing hearing aids is admitting you are old and that you are not in the best shape of your life. But not being able to hear is so annoying to those around you who always have to repeat stuff 2-3 times before you get it. On other occasions it turns out that the person with hearing loss has missed things that you or someone else told them because they didn't hear them and it causes confusion and annoyance. So face the reality, admit that you are getting older and that you DO need to wear hearing aids and that it is perfectly OK.

benjwri and Ricochet like this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Just an FYI - my Father ( who's 86 ) received his from the VA ..........FREE WITH A REMOTE VOLUME CONTROL LIFETIME BATTERIES ........ only one catch , they have a GPS on them . So , if they sit on top of his dresser , they'll know he's not using them and take them back .
    Just and FYI for you Military Veterans ......USE YOUR BENIFITS ( and thanks for your service too , worldwide )

Ricochet likes this.
  7. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I had my hearing cheked 10 years ago. I had the typical high-frequency "cymbal valley" in the frequency-grafic.
    I was very lucky.
    Most of my hearing ist still ok (after more than 35 years of doing really heavy rock).

All of my bandmembers are playing with ear-plugs.
    I am the last one who refuses to use them. It may be idiotic but I simply do not enjoy playing with them, even if they are made specially for my ear.

They say that most people have one ear that is better on bass-frequecies and one is better on high frequencies. Strangely the both grafics on my hearing-test were quite identical.

8. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    God Bless him and thank him for his service.....but I HATE THAT BIG BROTHER GPS CR@P

thunder58 and Ricochet like this.
  9. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Your stepfather's story sounds very familair. Particularly the mutual irritation part.

I downloaded 5 hearing test apps for my phone, and they basicly said my hearing was of a man aged between 64 and 74, with a very sharp drop off after the 8K band. To be clear, I'm 50...:rolleyes:

10. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    It's odd, I won't wear a motorcycle helmet (unless I have to be in a state that mandates it) but I won't go on a ride longer than 15 minutes without earplugs... safety first!

11. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    How about when you play a gig?

12. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    ave.jpg
    Only if he is drumming
    :p

englishman and Ricochet like this.
  13. JimB1122

JimB1122 Gretschie

Dec 15, 2016
    Silver Bay, Minnesota
    Yes, I'm not ancient but I did get a hearing aid - primarily because I was teaching children that would speak VERY softly. The experts tell me that men usually tend to lose the higher tone ranges of their hearing (which was true for me), and women tend to lose the lower tones. I'm working with adults now, so I don't normally wear them except when I'm playing music. I feel it helps my singing, and clarifies the higher tones of my guitar.

Ricochet likes this.
  14. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Nah, it's infrequent and not nearly as loud as it was back in the day.

Ricochet likes this.
  15. Mudshark

Mudshark Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2012
    Canada
    I was diagnosed with Tinnitus 20 yrs. ago. Likely from my stint as a club DJ in the 80's. Cause: When DJ mixing maxing the volume in my headphones to hear over the house system. I had horrible ringing at night when things were quiet for quite a few years. . In that time I avoided earbud headphones and started wearing noise protection if I was going to be in a loud room listening or playing. I also bought a 5 watt amp so I can bring the level down for bedroom practice.

My ringing has gone away but I know I am just one loud concert from getting it back.

kt66 and Ricochet like this.
  16. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    My father's VA supplied hearing aids didn't include any GPS gear. His branch of the VA doesn't care if he isn't wearing them. They improve his quality of life, he can listen to the TV at a normal volume & he doesn't talk as loudly when he's using them, so it's good for everybody.

thunder58, Ricochet and larryb like this.
  17. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    We'd get an annual hearing test at the university's audiology clinic, where they teach the trade. As we'd work with high power sound gear and power tools, they would check us out intensely. Got free custom earplugs---and I do wear them---have worn earplugs since my first gig back in the '60s. Ears can't be fixed once you've damaged them due to volume issues. I consider earphones a necessary evil, and absolutely will not wear earbuds---the worst thing you can do to your ears. After the military---weapons and aircraft---and years of loud guitar amps, PAs, motorcycles and all, I still have pretty good hearing. The most damage I have is in the ear I had to wear ICOM in at work.

Ricochet likes this.
  18. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I remember riding my Triumph after havein had a shower. There mst have been some of the water left in my ears and my helmet was one of that "little plastic caps" that do not cover the ears. Ouch!
    I was nearly deaf for a week. Happily my hearing recovered.

Ricochet likes this.
  19. CaliforniaSlim

CaliforniaSlim Gretschie

Jul 21, 2016
    It has been 15 years since mine was checked. Need to get checked-tinnitus seems more noticeable and I know my high end is gone-- wife and kids can hear the squeal of things that are silent to me. I don't blame the gigs so much as the endless hours in small practice spaces playing at club volume. Where were the modelling amps back then?-- ahh who am I kidding, we were young and it was rock.

20. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
    I was pretty good about wearing ear protection in my younger days and still am. I actually wore ear plugs when I went to concerts that could make your ears bleed. My friends really teased me about it, but it paid off as my hearing remains fairly good for a man my age. Last time I had it checked I had some loss in my left ear at really high frequencies which are above and beyond what most of us hear in general. I mostly play at home these days and I try not to turn my amps up too much. In fact, I use a decimeter app on my phone to help ensure it doesn't get too loud. The way I play, that's probably a good thing for others as well. :eek:

Ricochet likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice