Headstock-Heavy Woes

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by windskipper1, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Butch Ammon

Butch Ammon Gretschie

Jan 3, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    I agree with the others... I got a nice wide suede leather strap and that was all it took. My 5122 doesn't move around at all.
    Gretsch.Strap.jpg

stormsedge likes this.
  2. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    It doesn’t, the button on the heal of the neck, as it is with the ES-335 was an easy fix with my 5122

SWoody and hcsterg like this.
  3. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Maybe the way it hangs on you it IS further toward the headstock when on your body. Looking at Butch Ammon's pic above that could be the case...

4. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Good point, what works for one person may not for another. I suggest trying the strap location with some tape first and see how it feels before relocating the button

5. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I think that is only true if the pivot point is in line with the center of gravity. With the pivot point off center on a standard 5422, it actually farther away than on the back.of the neck at the joint. I would be curious to see a physics simulation.

6. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Oops catching up on posts.

7. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes, @Henry ;)

Well, I can tell that the real physics were conclusive at least in my case, and for some others on the forum (@jfassett, among others).

But it may not work for everyone... o_O

For my G5622TLH, I went from "heavy shoulder and imbalance" to "ES-335TD comfort and stability" :cool:, while my 2 guitars have the same (quite high) weight : 4.2kg :confused:

A+!

j.s.c likes this.
  8. stormsedge

stormsedge Gretschie

Feb 28, 2020
    E. Tennessee
    There are small leather straps available as well that may be used in lieu of the string. I have them on a couple of my acoustics...they have a button to attach the main strap.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gui...UNUt8KHZ2UB-sQ_AUoAnoECA0QAg&biw=1024&bih=681

wabash slim likes this.
  9. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Wouldn't the "pivot point" always/ automatically be at the COG? That's where it will hang naturally right? (Disregarding any friction from the strap style and body clothing)

10. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    A harness strap may work.

A Steinberger solution to head (or headless) dive is a long bracket or strap button extender.

You could add some weight to the tail end of your strap. They sell weights to keep skirts modest on windy days. It can’t be more than a pound out of balance? You need more conchos.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  11. kidblast

kidblast Electromatic

Jan 13, 2020
    Central Massachusettes

!! exactly... !!

Gregor likes this.
  12. Scamp

Scamp Newbie

Feb 22, 2018
    California
    Put your strap on the head like they do with a lot of acoustic guitar and nylon guitars (see Alan Jackson's) . You can get leather adapters that fit on the head if you don't have a tie. Works for me

new6659 likes this.
  13. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    Add a Bigsby, a third pickup, and a cup holder. And maybe a sock full of quarters. (and a diver"s weight).

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020 at 9:53 PM
  14. EarleG

EarleG Electromatic

Dec 19, 2013
    Hendersonville TN
    I have very good results with 2" - 2.5" wide woven cotton straps.
    Those vintage old style with the sliding shoulder pad usually work well.
    Avoid slick polyester and nylon type straps.

15. Pintoboy

Pintoboy Electromatic

An engineering answer, draw a line between the strap buttons, the best balance point on the strap is close to perpendicular to and halfway along this line. With the strap buttons located in the centre rear and upper bout locations, the balance point on the shoulder will tend to move the strap buttons to a horizontal position (balancing the guitar), putting the neck is in "dive" position. So the strap buttons located centrally back and front on the body should provide a more level neck.
    As an example, my 5 string banjo has strap buttons higher at the rear and below the neck at the front of the rim, but diametrically opposite, to balance the instrument and provide slightly up angled neck.
    JM2CW
    Regards, Ross

Henry and Hammerhands like this.
  16. weazel

weazel Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    Not so easy on a gretsch but on my thinline telecasters I take off the scratchplate and fit a piece of roofing lead wrapped in gaffs tape inside the guitar up near the strap stud at bottom of guitar, first I hang a bank bag on bottom of guitar while standing up and fill it with coins till it balances perfect,then I weigh them and then cut a bit of lead exact same weight and roll it up and hammer it flat and gaffe tape it in tight, job done, but trouble is u can’t do this through a f hole

Hammerhands likes this.
  17. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I don't think so. The COG for the guitar is fixed, but how you are attached to it will affect the pivot point.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice