Headphone

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by GiorgioG, Jul 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. GiorgioG

GiorgioG Electromatic

Jun 17, 2019
    London
    Hy guys and girls, how are you?
    As I practise to play the guitar mostly in the late evening after my kids go to sleep, my kind wife made me notice that I keep the amp volume too high and I often wake my kids up... well, she is right, even if I keep my amp volume to the minimum possible to enjoy my guitar sound, sometimes, especially when I want to use a bit of overdrive, it is quite loud. I was thinking to get myself headset to plug into the combo headphone plug.
    Do you usually practise with headphone? Could you recommend a brand or model that have a good sound playing the guitar?

Thanks for your help :)

Merc likes this.
  2. Dave-B

Dave-B Synchromatic

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    Samson SR850 are decent studio headphones, £38 from Amazon. Being reference headphones, the sound is balanced & realistic (rather than the bass-boosted sound of most consumer headphones).

Personally, I prefer the less claustrophobic feel of open-back headphones. If you want to be completely silent for the kids, get closed-back headphones instead.

pmac11 and GiorgioG like this.
  3. Limuz

Limuz Gretschie

Sep 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    Devine Pro 2000. When it's later in the day, I like to practice with my headphones on. Don't want to disturb the neighbors. They're studio headphones with a 3 meter long cable so it doesn't really feel like I'm restricted by having to wear them. Sometimes it's nice to just get the sound from the amp, not the acoustic guitar sound itself as well. I recommend. Pretty cheap too.

GiorgioG likes this.
  4. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    It's all I use . I'm in a small house and headphones are a great Peace Maker

GiorgioG and panhead6zero like this.
  5. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Headphones are a necessary evil. Keeping the peace at home is a good thing. Phones, or cans, are still better than earbuds---one of the fastest ways of ruining your hearing, up there with artillery and jet aircraft engines. Putting the drivers a small fraction of an inch away from your ear drums and not being able to change the SPL can cause both high and low volume deafness. In theater, I had to wear earphones for sound mixing and for ICOM (sometimes both at the same time---like juggling). If you've got to use headphones, get as good a pair as you can find. Avoid Beats---they're massively overpriced junk marketed to impressionable kids. They're actually weighted to make them seem more high quality. They're only worth $15 all told. The most expensive single item in Beats is the box. The rest of the components are cheaply made. To me, all Bose gear also overpriced as well. I've had good luck with SONY and Sennheiser earphones. Even the cheap Sennheiser 414 headphones were quality units. The headphones with foam earpieces that sit on top of your ear will allow you to hear outside sounds, and make it easy to change the effective SPL making it easier on your eardrums. They're the only eardrums you have and can't be repaired, so protect them at all costs.

pmac11, Merc, GiorgioG and 1 other person like this.
  6. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    I used to love earbuds, but it’s impossible to keep them clean enough. One infection will get you off those. I wonder how those who are required to use IEMs on stage deal with that?

The Sony MDR7506 are like the SM58 of headphones. I have a set of those and a set of Sony MDR7520. The 7520s are way better than the 7506s, and way more expensive, but I think there may be something wrong with my 7506s.

I’m using the 7520s for seriously hi-fi, the 7506s I bought to abuse.

I had a set of AKG-M30S that were great but developed an imbalance.

Do you have a price in mind?

GiorgioG and wabash slim like this.
  7. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    Sony makes great headphones and even their models that are $20-$30 sound pretty darned good. I have a couple pairs like that, but my best are these for $90. They're worth every penny.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7506...63380814&rnid=2941120011&s=electronics&sr=1-8

GiorgioG likes this.
  8. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    SONY MDR7506 are industry standard headphones. I've had mine for 20 years---still have the factory bag to store 'em in.

Remember---if your ears are ringing after using headphones or earbuds, then you're listening to them TOO DAMN LOUD!

GiorgioG likes this.
  9. GiorgioG

GiorgioG Electromatic

Jun 17, 2019
    London
    Thanks for your messages.

I was thinking around £50, so around $60. I'm happy to stretch the budget to £100 if for that price I can get something that can make a difference on wearing the headphone for few hours a day without feeling uncomfortable.

10. GiorgioG

GiorgioG Electromatic

Jun 17, 2019
    London
    Hi all,
    Thanks to all your suggestions and 'warning' on headphones use.
    I'm going to have a look at the ones you suggested.
    Thanks to you all

11. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    A vote for Sennheiser 280 Pro. But I've taken things a step further. My "amp" is a Vox Tone Lab connected directly to a mixer. The mixer output is connected to the "aux" stereo inputs of my Insignia receiver where the headphones act as my output. The mixer also has inputs for a couple of CD players, a turntable, a Trio+, and my lap top. This way I can play along with any of those sources any time, at any volume I want. Just select the various components that you prefer, and stay up all night. You might want to check out Alto and Yamaha mixers.

GiorgioG likes this.
  12. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    It’s a great thread. I’ve been meaning to pick some up myself. Lately the only time I get to play is after my toddlers been asleep. So it’s been difficult for me as well.

GiorgioG likes this.
  13. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    With keyboards or the computer and Zen Tour, I use the semi-open dt880. I like the semi-open because it gives a more open sound but also doesn't focus all that umph in my ears as the closed backs did. I really don't want another set of closed backs. I can see a use for them if your mixing and there is some background noises you want to be silenced but I haven't had any issues with the semi opens.

GiorgioG likes this.
  14. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Plus one. I just got a set of these. They're like high def tv, but for your ears. Inexpensive as well. Great value.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

GiorgioG likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice