Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Headed to Sturgis, South Dakota..

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by englishman, Jul 31, 2018.

1. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I have to put the projects on hold, headed out at zero dark early tomorrow. Not riding this year, although I'll have my Panhead already out there. Four events that I have to attend, a couple of photoshoots and then the rest of the time I can lollygag. Should be back by next Friday.

If anyone cares, I can post a few pics in this thread from out there.

2. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Cool , keep us posted Eman . Have a safe trip and no funny business while your out there :D

section2 and englishman like this.
  3. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Enjoy it. Whish I could be there.

englishman likes this.
  4. johnny g

johnny g Gretschie

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    We care, We care . Please post pics

5. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Do you know about how many are expected to attend?

6. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I have no clue. I don't even know how they quantify it. Sturgis itself is a pretty small town, there's the usual crush on Main Street and Lazelle and the races but it's a huge gathering that sees many small towns packed to the gills all over. Deadwood is a popular place for instance (you can visit the saloon where Wild Bill Hickock drew the Dead Man's Hand). You can go visit the graves of Hickock and Calamity Jane should you wish. Mt. Rushmore will be packed next week and a boatload of bikes will head for The Devil's Tower in Wyoming. It's a really spread out out thing with some staying as far out as Rapid City and riding around the Badlands. Many never actually go to downtown Sturgis during the rally.

7. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Sturgis is awesome. Played a mainstage out there every day for a week a coupla years back. Had a ball. The band bus air-conditioner broke down while we there and it was 100 degrees during the day. Sleeping in a bus with no ac and naked band mates is not ideal. We survived somehow......

Deadwood........I pulled a coupla grand off a blackjack table there one morning after we’d played all night........think we walked out as the sun came up......

The second to last night there I got in a scuffle and broke a rib. That was no kind of fun. Every breath for the next couple of weeks was blinding pain.

Have fun and be safe Eman.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    drmilktruck and englishman like this.
  8. kjmac

kjmac Gretschie

Mar 7, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    I'm also headed up there this coming Sunday. Staying with a good friend in Rapid. After 40 years of riding I recently sold my bike but my buddy is offering me his while I'm there. I haven't been to the rally since 2006 but I'm sure it will not have changed much. Looking forward to it.

9. GreTschocaster

GreTschocaster Gretschie

Feb 11, 2013
    Canada
    Sturgis is on my bucket list. Please post some pictures!

englishman likes this.
  10. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Wow, who knew there was a bad boy lurking beneath that choirboy exterior :D

11. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Only made it out there once, 1996. Rode my little hotrod Sportster there and back. Played Blackjack in the saloon where Wild Bill drew the dead man's hand. Visited Devil's Tower. Hit Mt. Rushmore multiple times. Crazy Horse monument and lots more. Camped at a place called Hog Heaven (cow pasture the rest of the year). Replaced a blown gasket in the middle of said cow pasture. Downtown Sturgis many, many times. An epic week all told.

Have a great time and be safe. And yes, pics would be welcomed!

englishman likes this.
  12. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yeah man, lets see some pix. I wanna try to get out there one of these day's, it's a long ass ride from here though. I haven't been to a organized rally in years.

13. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
  14. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

I'd love to see some pics of the Sturgis rally. Hope you have a great time!

englishman likes this.
  15. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    The only reason I enjoy it is we rent a house right on Main street (at the quiet end) so if for some strange reason I wanted to go observe a bunch of drunken weekend warrior bikers making idiots out of themselves, I can just walk about 3/4 and be in the middle of it. Sometimes it's amusing to see the white collar professionals playing Ken and Barbi dress-up bikers and strutting around with their shiny leathers and doo-rags as if they own the world. The other plus is that I get to see a bunch of old friends that live all over the country and I don't get to see them often enough. The roads are great for riding... if you weren't limited to the speed of the scared new guy in front of you.
    I'm usually ready to go home after three days lol.

16. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    From ‘79 to ‘83, I lived in Rapid City when I was in the air force. Since I was a missile crew dog, I used to ride through Sturgis on my way to Lima Launch Control Center. Normally, it was a sleepy little town.

But not during the rally.

T Bone likes this.
  17. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Lol. I wasn’t always the sweetheart I am today. ;)

Sarah93003, T Bone and englishman like this.
  18. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Have fun, EMan!, and yeah, photos!

englishman likes this.
  19. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Gretschie

May 1, 2014
    Whitby Ontario
    Don't forget to bring all your SAMCRO gear David. Love to see pics of that....

20. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Don't hold your breath!