Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Have you ever lost your "desire and passion" for something ?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by thunder58, Sep 17, 2017.

1. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Literally, or euphemistically (as in, "Give me a little sugar honey.")? :)

thunder58 likes this.
  2. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I come from a long line of drunks (they never went to the meetings), and had to deal with it growing up. I remember sitting in the car at 7 years old, waiting while my dad got tanked in the bar. I was heading down that road myself in high school. I actually quit serious drinking after my 21th birthday. In the USAF, overseas, we had ration coupons for liquor---8 bottles per month at a price without taxes or duties. I lost four days, woke up in some strange girl's apartment, didn't have to gnaw my arm off, and made it back to base with money left, about 15 minutes shy of being AWOL. Since then, I've been drunk less than 10 times (usually with my brother's involvement). When I was a kid, the cops would tell you to get your drunk butt home. Once you turn 21 today, it's serious jail time and fines, outrageous insurance rates and loss of your driving privileges---average cost is $10K. Add in serious car wrecks, injuries and death.

As to smoking, I started in Boy Scouts. Cigs are no longer a quarter a pack. I spend more on COPD meds now than I ever did on smokes. Hardest addiction ever to escape from.

None of it is worth the aggravation to me. YMMV.

3. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Even now as a hobbyist/increasingly occasional weekend warrior I find it pretty disrespectful and annoying when people I'm playing w/ flake out on a schedule, it's way more indefensible IMO when it's screwing w/ someone's ability to feed themself/their family.

hogrider16 likes this.
  4. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    My mom knows, started smoking at 16, she's 83 now. I'm shocked she DOESN'T have COPD at this point. Tried to quit many times, many different methods. Problem is, she ENJOYS it. Mom and dad both smoked, which is exactly why I have NEVER smoked.

5. wilblee

wilblee Synchromatic

May 23, 2013
    TX Hill Country
    Many things, many times. Passion and desire wax and wane. Music has been a persistent thread through many a cycle, though.

6. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    The dangerous white crystalline drug of dependency which leads to diabetes....

7. hogrider16

hogrider16 Gretschie

Oct 18, 2017
    charles town wv
    Now that I'm a crotchety old many, I just don't put up with very much the nonsense anymore. One of the bands I'm in was playing too loud and I said I'm not risking losing any more hearing or making my Tinnitus any worse. Either we fix the volume or I'm out. We'll see how long the improvement lasts.

I recently started my own Rockabilly Trio and we can just about sing without a PA we practice so quietly. There's just no need to rehearse (or play) at ear-splitting volume.

Now get off my lawn!

8. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

That's a good thing to leave in the rear view mirror. My sweet tooth has it's way from time to time. I can't seem to stop it, so I just try to control it.

audept likes this.
  9. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    Crystal Sucrose. :)

audept and englishman like this.
  10. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I experienced the exact thing after a couple of decades of touring. I still rarely listen to music that I'm not making.

Synchro likes this.
  11. Wulfgang

Wulfgang Synchromatic

May 22, 2009
    Seattle WA./Omaha NE
    True love, practicing, touring, motel rooms and so on . I can relate to alot of what has been said in this thread. I'am now middle aged and have mostly gotten by on the skin on my teeth and the charity of others most of my adult life. Never held a real job longer than 4 years at a time often to pursue the "Dream". In the past few years I have finally enjoyed 15 minutes of fame in a obscure niche genre and near brushes with making music a real job. Sadly at great cost to having skills, education, a home, savings, 401k and the other basics of adulting.

My adventures over the past 8 years would make for a great netflix "Spinal Tap" style tour documentary. I have met some famous & infamous characters whom I grew up listening to, sometimes even sharing the stage or meeting people in the recording industry who have worked with the big stars of our time. Often it was the story of "Almost" be it getting signed, being support for bigger mainstream bands, having pro video,endorsements, distribution, a agent, going from playing to 30 to 100 people a night to 500 to 1000 that only ever happened a handful of times.

At the end of the day I'm very grateful to the fans and people who made it possible to do. I got to go tour Europe in 2016, a pedal endorsement from one of my music heroes and learned alot in the studio from two of the top names within my genre of music. I had my time, my chance .. It didn't happen. Will I give up or reinvent myself? keep going somehow I think.

Now the desire and passion I used to have is now replaced by the reality of what comes next? I made the mistake of not having something to fall back on in bad times which can happen so easily when your obscure band playing the diy alternative "chitlin" club dive bar scene that really hasn't changed in 30 years.

I now see friends who make over 100g a year, homes and family's they have,kids getting out of highschool or becoming grandparents .. I'm on hiatus in the midwest with ptsd.Will I regret posting this? surely .. Did I say everything I wanted to say? no. Maybe that's a good thing. No sleep in 3days, a few german beers will make you say incoherent but interesting things sometimes.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    LivingMyDream, Henry and gimmodog like this.
  12. NJDevil

NJDevil Gretschie

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    Rich, You'll have let me know when DrumBob plays there. I have yet to eat my first meal there but heard the food is good and is a great cold, cozy and hearty place for some food and good drink.

I really miss living in Old Tappan!

thunder58 likes this.
  13. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I actually spoke with Bob last night . He said he thinks his band is playing there soon , but he will not be sitting in with them . His band the " Kootz " is like one big team of musicians . And there a great band too doing lots of '60s classic rock like Traffic and Cream . He'll let me know when the band's in town . Regarding the '76 House , food is ok . Went there for a Mothers Day brunch / buffet once and the food trays were placed outside so the food was cold / cool . Oh , but that '76 Ale ............. goes down like water and very tasty . First one's on me :)

NJDevil likes this.
  14. NJDevil

NJDevil Gretschie

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I had an interview yesterday for a job I really want/need and if I find out I got the job (could take a week or so), I'll let you know and see you in Tappan and celebrate!

thunder58 likes this.
  15. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Is the job up this way or am I just in for a night of celebration ?..... lol

NJDevil likes this.
  16. NJDevil

NJDevil Gretschie

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    It's in the city so if I get it, we'll try to find a day on the weekend or I'll come out on a weekday before I start.....fingers crossed!!!!!

thunder58 likes this.
  17. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Yes; when I equated guitar playing with pain. :( Fortunately, with regular/daily stretching exercises, I think I have been able to reverse the effects.

thunder58 likes this.
  18. MarkyMac

MarkyMac Gretschie

Modal Scales.
    Incredibly, my desire and passion vanished 15 seconds in.
    It's back to strummin' chords for me thanks.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    thunder58 likes this.