Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Have you ever lost your "desire and passion" for something ?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by thunder58, Sep 17, 2017.

1. hogrider16

hogrider16 Gretschie

Oct 18, 2017
    charles town wv
    Me too, but I didn't lose my passion for receiving a paycheck!

MKunie, toddfan and Trash Kidd like this.
  2. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I don't drink or smoke anymore. It just wasn't worth the aggravation.

3. toddfan

toddfan Synchromatic

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    YES....but, it's confidential.

4. Synchro

Synchro As spoken about at Wildwood Guitars. :) Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    I think that a lot of things in life end up that way.

5. NJDevil

NJDevil Gretschie

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    Nahh, CCM is a company that makes hockey gear and for years made the NHL hockey jerseys. The yhit some hard times financially and in the '99 - 2000 season, they were no longer supplying the league but rather teams making their own decision without NHL input...or so it seems. They later came back with CCM for home games on the "sweaters" and Koho on the away uniforms. Then Reebok won the NHL contract and now it is Adidas 1st year.

I'm from the little town of Old Tappan on the northeast corner of Bergen County. Another member here, thunder58, lives just across the border in Tappan, NY. We've messaged each other quite a few times and even found out we know some of the same people.....from an era when Old Tappan was really small town and the last town in the state to get a traffic light.

I really want to dive back into cooking this weekend and thinking of making Lamb Squazetto with Polenta cakes. I first made it after see Mario Batali's show on the Food Network in the early 2000s.

ruger9 likes this.
  6. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Drinking is an aggravation??? I find it a REMEDY to aggravation (I'm not talking about getting drunk, which I haven't done for many years, I'm talking about 2-3 drinks on a fri or saturday evening, sitting in front of my fireplace, or while cooking a gourmet meal...)

panhead6zero likes this.
  7. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    You live, to quote my father-in-law (recently RIP), "down below" LOL. The area of Jersey nobody from the "sticks" (I'm way out in Warren County) want to go to- too many people, too much traffic! LOL We have in-laws drive out from Montclair and they're like "you guys live out in the woods!" LOL (we actually live in a nice, 30-year-old neighborhood, just outside of Hackettstown, which has every big box store you could want.)

NJDevil likes this.
  8. NJDevil

NJDevil Gretschie

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    Nice Ruger. Enjoying a little wine while in the kitchen or maybe a solid bourbon to go with a cup of coffee after a nice meal or to wrap up the work week......yup, that's definitely a treat.

ruger9 likes this.
  9. NJDevil

NJDevil Gretschie

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I love the parts of Jersey that are "the sticks"....nothing wrong with a little peace around your home! Luckily, Old Tappan was the best of both worlds. No traffic or hustle and bustle (think Ridgewood) but more like your neck of the woods with a close proximity to the city. Growing up, there were houses that had horses and sheep (Dewolf Rd.) and chickens and 2 prominent farms. It was an undiscovered jewel for many years and then the word got out in the late '90s and in came the McMansions. It still is nice though and retains much of the peace of the years growing up.

Years ago, people would say that there is a greater chance of finding more dead Revolutionary War soldiers buried around town than you were to find the living. I think I got to know the raccoons by name. I had to hide the garbage pails!

ruger9 likes this.
  10. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    I don't know why, but that busted me up. :)

NJDevil likes this.
  11. hogrider16

hogrider16 Gretschie

Oct 18, 2017
    charles town wv
    homer cause and solution.jpg

panhead6zero and ruger9 like this.
  12. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    ruger9 and hogrider16 like this.
  13. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    Work, for me, has become a bit of a drag. I'm good at it and know what I'm doing but I think that's the problem. It's boring and there's no challenge anymore. But it pays the bills, company treats me fair and it keeps me out of trouble....mostly.

stiv likes this.
  14. stiv

stiv Gretschie

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Well, I guess that about the lack of "work desire" it could be easily build a thread apart.. I always wanted to be a musician. More, I think I've always been a musician in my mind (I'm still capable of "thinking music' 24/7 if nobody distracts me..). But, reality is that for the brief time I tried to live on my music I couldn't pay the bills. I litteraly depended on my wife's job and this caused me havoc, waking up in the middle of the night with panic attacks and my lungs that seemed to explode, unable to breathe. So I had to face the fact than I needed a real job. Which is completely different from being happy with another job. I'm a well respected interior designer (though more technical than creative), I've always been as much professional as I could be but the challenge.. since I moved back to Italy from Boston in '01, my will to get better at work just disappeared. I whish I could look for a better job (music related, maybe) but the reality is that I have a very good job that pays bills, mortgage, a nice lifestyle, even for some guitars, and I consider myself lucky in this world filled by unemployed or people that lost his job.
    Sure, stick with it doesn't make my job a desirable one for me, but I guess I'm not entitled to complain.

Wulfgang likes this.
  15. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    My days as a working musician were good in some ways, bad in others. It took a toll on my family life and the unreliable nature of the gigs made things challenging, but it was nice to be at the top of my game, musically. I'm a better, more creative, more skilled player now than I was then, but in those days I could nail just about any complex chord sequence just by hearing it once or twice. My ear is pretty good now, but 40 years ago it was much better.

Wulfgang and stiv like this.
  16. stiv

stiv Gretschie

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    For me it was even more difficult, because I was a songwriter, the lead singer, I wrote almost all the music and all lyrics, took care of the sound of the band, deal with the music biz and keep the band running with little help from other band members. So I was more responsible of the good time or the bad times the band has gone through. Although I got better with my guitar playing as well (just because I loved to learn and stll do), my real improvement has been on song crafting (thing that enabled me to be a decent low-budget producer in these days). Still, being unable to make my skills to become my work, just didn't give me that much fire to get better in some other job as long as it pays my bill. Considering that your job occupies almost 60% of your time, it's easy to spot where lack of enthusiasm comes..

17. Les PaltaX

Les PaltaX Gretschie

Nov 8, 2017
    Chile
    All the time... I've been a competitive chess player, a competitive table tennis player, a card magician, a guitarist, a low-profile politician... It's cyclic.
    I guess it's natural to have interest in many things and can't keep doing the same for too long, or at least, feel the need of flavouring it with something else.

18. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
  19. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    You guys only got that traffic light because you stoled it from us ... lol :p

NJDevil likes this.
  20. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    DeWolf Road ..... Dave , the Banogi ( Ron ) family still owns the farm ( Stokes Farm ) And as far as Revolutionary War goes , you'll find me at The Ole '76 House Resturaunt once in a while , especially when forum member DrumBob is playing there . First '76 Ale is on me........

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    NJDevil and ruger9 like this.