Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Have you ever lost your "desire and passion" for something ?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by thunder58, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Today i lost the passion for going to work ;)

Bertotti and thunder58 like this.
  2. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    :D its 3 am here and pouring rain, im trying to find mine.

thunder58 and Trash Kidd like this.
  3. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I hear it's 'Cider Monday' so...

wildeman and Trash Kidd like this.
  4. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    lol You know me too well David!
    Trouble is Cider Friday, Saturday & Sunday we’re pretty good too :)

englishman likes this.
  5. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I have conducted extensive research into cider. This has emerged as my favorite.

kirin 1.png kirin 2.jpg

Trash Kidd likes this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I'm on vacation last / this week . Man ...... this " retirement thing " looks better and better :)

Trash Kidd likes this.
  7. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    When I was a teenager, the pub opposite the one I lived in (literally) would get 'Scrumpy' in once a month and there would be mayhem. Super cloudy stuff, high alcohol. Always good for amusement. It's not real unless there's an apple core and a dead wasp in it.

audept and Synchro like this.
  8. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    I was off all of last week and am finding my passion for returning to work is a bit low this morning.

Trash Kidd likes this.
  9. NJDevil

NJDevil Gretschie

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I had a passion for collecting hockey mid-'90s "sweaters" from CCM and yes, you guessed it, mostly New Jersey Devils. The passion to collet has now led into more of a passion to wear instead......except the signed ones.

My passion for cooking one a scale of 1 to 10 was a 10 for more than a decade. The past 5 years however, I've lost the desire to "execute"......I still think the desire to learn is there and am a foodie but I think recent job issues and now owning a house has made me prioritize. Cooking is a huge investment in time that begins with the thought of a dish that moves to going out and getting the ingredients. I'll kick it back up again though.

ruger9 likes this.
  10. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I lost my passion for music for ~ 5 years following about a decade of studio engineering and production as a vocation. Playing or just listening, my brain was just too fixated on analyzing every aspect of the sound and performance to be able to achieve the no-mind state I seem to need to be in to really get lost in it.

I lost my passion for skateboarding around my mid-20s when bailing started hurting way too much.

My passion for video games goes through cycles, but that seems like it's mostly a product of not having the copious amounts of free time and focus that the ones that usually grab me the most require. It's not quite the same experience when it takes 1.5-2 years to complete a 120+ hour mostly story driven game as when I could do that kind of a playthrough in a month/month and a half...

Lost my passion for the current day job several years ago, but it pays the bills for the things I am passionate about so I keep managing to show up (mostly)... Happily I'm into the PTO burning season and I don't have more than a 4 day work week the rest of the year there and a nice chunk of time away from 12/20-1/2

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  11. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    When I was working solely as a musician I lost all of my love for music. Similar to your example, I was overly analytical, figuring how to play something the first time I heard it on the radio. Eventually I didn't listen to music as recreation whatsoever. Once I went back to work in the real world, all of that changed.

Wulfgang, ruger9 and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  12. russmack

russmack Country Gent

May 1, 2017
    ballina australia
    Yeah. I tried doing the full-time professional thing round about '74.

Lasted about six months, and gave it all away to get a regular forty-hour job.

Apart from all the scuffling to get work, I got really upset about the crap stuff I had to play. It was my choice at the time, but there's no doubt in my mind that when it becomes a job, it's just a job.

Russ

13. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I also an an "amateur chef"! LOL Big fun, I have had lots of enjoyment over the years, learning how to cook, and cooking. But yes- TIME is of short supply these days, so my dinners (while still good) more closely resemble "Rachel Ray's 30-minute meals" than they do "Emeril's 2-hour ordeals" LOL

On special occasions I still whip out something special, like braised beef short ribs on a bed of mashed potatoes....

CCM... County College of Morris? Where are you from? I know Jersey, but...? My wife went there for 2 years, my band won the Battle of the Bands there one year, back in the day...

NJDevil likes this.
  14. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    That’s the hell of it. Most of the time you end up playing material you don’t like all that much, just to keep yourself working. It becomes just a job.

With Clutch Draggin & the LugNuts, I have a lot of input into song choice and the other guys tend to suggest songs that I enjoy playing. I get to play some Rock, some Country and slip in some Jazzy stuff. The Country lets me play my Chet licks, so life is good. We do t work a lot, but we enjoy most of our gigs.

russmack likes this.
  15. dilver

dilver Country Gent

Feb 16, 2009
    NJ
    Work. I’ve been at it for close to 30 years and I used to really be into it. And my pay kept going up and up. Made many personal sacrifices for the sake of “the company” without being an owner. Over the past 3 years, I’ve had to come to grips with the fact that I’m probabaly not going to make any more than I do now. Now, I think about how I’m going to do this for another 13-14 years. Jeez, this got depressing real fast.

Sid Nitzerglobin and Bertotti like this.
  16. stiv

stiv Gretschie

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    For me, it's basketball. When I was younger and since I've been a player that passion was up to my music passion level. I've never been really great at it, but playing organized basketball (AA Teams, Minor Italian Leagues), streetball, outdoor tournaments, going to games (I've seen countless italian basketball games, from amateurs to professionals, a lot of NBA games especially when I lived in Boston, also attended Game 3 of The NBA Finals when my favourite team, Philly 76ers, played there in 2001. I loved College Basketball, I attended many UMass, Boston College and Northwestern University games while in Beantown), everything appealed to me so much.
    Once I retired from organized basketball (2003), everything just seemed to slow down. I'm still a fan but I don't go to basketball game often in these days (If I have to choose, I prefere live music. When I was younger it often was the other way round, as I gigged more with my bands so I didn't need much live music action other than mine... ), I still run up and down the court with some AA team but years of injuries payed a big toll on my body (I'm 50 now, and can't really play decently no more) just dried the passion inside me. Can't live without ball, but now it's way down low on the scale of things I love to do.

17. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I have often wondered about this... if, HAD I "made it", would it have been "just a job"? I don't think the question is truly answerable; if I had been forced to play stuff I didn't like, just to pay bills, then yes: it would have been just a job. BUT... had I succeeded (in my band) at our original music, I would say NO, it would not have been just a job. Ditto if I fell into a great situation as a sideman (for example, a "lifetime"/"home" gig with a solo artist), then no. But of course none of that is guaranteed.

I have, in recent years, even seen the attraction in being a sideman/studio guy... but you have to REALLY love music (so that you would enjoy playing anything), OR be good enough to pick only those projects you WOULD enjoy. Being able to stay "in town" and just do studio work sounds like the best of both worlds... playing music for a living, AND a normal life... of course I'm older now; when I was 20 I wanted to be on the road touring for 20 years lol.

Heck, even in the ideal situations, it's not ALWAYS fun; but the positives outweigh the negatives, which I guess is the goal with ANY job...

russmack likes this.
  18. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    If you have ten years of job security to look at, I'd certainly cheer up if I were you. Many people (including me) are looking out over the abyss of almost certain unemployment with the prospects of having to sell off everything just to avoid foreclosure. At 60 years old and the problem being endemic to the whole industry I'm in, things are looking bleak and I'm scrambling for alternatives that don't involve manual labor.

Wulfgang and hogrider16 like this.
  19. hogrider16

hogrider16 Gretschie

Oct 18, 2017
    charles town wv
    I played full time for several years a couple of times in the 70's. Frankly playing music I didn't particularly like was not nearly as exhausting as playing with flakey musicians. I haven't been in many bands over the years where I couldn't find something to like about the music, but personnel issues drive me out of bands way more than bad music. When your paycheck is depending on others, their eccentricities go from amusing to deal breaking.

Wulfgang and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  20. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    That's a great point. I'm very fortunate to have some pretty good musicians to work with, but over the years I've played with some musicians that either didn't know what they were doing or were so flakey that they didn't care. Being the only person in the room willing to take on adult levels of responsibility is no fun.

Sid Nitzerglobin and ruger9 like this.