Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Have you ever lost your "desire and passion" for something ?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by thunder58, Sep 17, 2017.

1. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I was emailing back and forth with a member here the other day , he had said that he had lost his " desire and passion " for something he really enjoyed . Guitars and music have always been with me . But at one time in my life I was so into photography . Between camera stores , equipment , trade shows , having a camera with me just about 24/7 , you name it , I loved it . I even had the pleasure of being friendly with Nat Fein who took that Pulitzer Prize winning photograph of Babe Ruth ( The Babe Bows Out taken from the back when The Babe retired ) .
    It must have been about 14 years ago I just put the camera down .
    How about you . Have you lost your " passion " for something lately ?

Rob Williams and Floo like this.
  2. Brutus Presley

Brutus Presley Gretschie

Jan 21, 2016
    Sweden
    Collecting records. Then, I got into guitars...

Armygirl and thunder58 like this.
  3. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    Fly fishing. I was an avid fly fisher at one time. Following local insect life cycles so I could tie flies to "match the hatch". To the point I would do bug ID on windshield splatter and get really excited at the sight of a tan caddis.
    Now the thought of fly fishing is just meh. Partly because I bought a boat and now my fishing time is spent trolling. And partly because I have a wood shop in the basement that takes up some time. Overall my priorities changed and flyfishing faded out in the rearview mirror.

thunder58 likes this.
  4. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    When my hockey team moved to Phoenix I couldn't watch at all anymore.

First there was anger and sadness, but then there was nothing.

It was very strange to see a Stanley Cup game a few years later between Edmonton and Carolina and feel nothing, no emotion.

Just some guys skating.

I've said the whole city was neutered.

The passion is back, I'm very happy.

thunder58 and DaddyDog like this.
  5. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Playing hockey was one of my passions that is pretty much gone. PC gaming, computers in general. Depending on the season I lose some interest in guitar just due to my demanding golf schedule.

thunder58 likes this.
  6. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Yes. For going to work. Oh, wait- I never had any passion or desire for that.

NJDevil, hogrider16, Mudshark and 9 others like this.
  7. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    Interesting subject, indeed. Collecting records here, too. Althuogh I still love to listen to a record from time to time, I'm not 16 anymore, where I spent hours and hours with my records.
    I still can't quite understand people who just quit playing guitar or making music in general. My wife sometimes talks about how we will still be playing at the age of 75...

Brutus Presley and thunder58 like this.
  8. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Yeah, "passions" come and go with me, although I might call things a "focus," because I can leave things behind fairly easily. One thing that I could say that I was passionate about was baseball/softball. I played baseball/softball from 3rd grade to the age of 42, and loved every minute that I played - playing hurt, and sometimes sick. It was a divorce that shifted my focus, and brought my playing days to an end. To this day, my mind tells me I could still play, but my right shoulder sees it differently.

I am passionate about my ministry in the churches, and have been doing it for about 18 years now (before that I was a chiropractor for 18 years). You'd have to pry me out of the pulpit with a crowbar. But something changed when my daughter suggested that I should retire, come live with her family, and help out with the grandchildren. BTW, those grandchildren are a passion of mine, too. I'm still sorting through this one.

thunder58 likes this.
  9. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I really believe that having my daydreams and little things that I can look forward to keeps me mentally sane. Since I can think, music has been my anchor. It is not only making music for me. It is reading music-related books, searching for nice stuff, being a part of this great Gretsch-Talk-community etc...
    My situation on the job is very exhausting and my familiy is shaken by illness and sorrow. Sometimes it is unbearable. But my music keeps me going.
    (I still have a great fondness for motorcycles. I regret not having a decent one at this point of time. But economics forced me to sell my Harley a few years ago. Nevertheless I am still passionate about this theme.)
    I know some folks who gave up making music, quitting their soccer team, selling their art collections, etc. because of various reasons.
    But they all came back to it because they felt something really important is missing in their lives.

Everybody has to have something to treasure outside the job and the family to stay happy.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  10. Rikki Ericson

Rikki Ericson Gretschie

Aug 25, 2017
    England
    Constantly. My interests tend to leap from obsession to obsession and then back again. Aviation, guitars, motorbikes, computer games, car restoration, back to guitars etc. I'll obsess on one to the exclusion of all the others, sometimes for years, then get fed up and go to another again. I just wish I could get obsessed with gardening, and so does my wife. :D

thunder58 and loudnlousy like this.
  11. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Skating, i done got old. 20161206_113716-2.jpg
    And fat

12. Hydroman

Hydroman Gretschie

Feb 29, 2016
    FUNtucky, Ca.
  13. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
  14. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    I'm into fly fishing, but since i picked up a centerpin reel, i'd rather use that.
    More consistent hookup rates.
    My passion for guitar has dwindled, but i have not lost it completely.

thunder58 and Tinman46 like this.
  15. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I quit smoking and drinking. Mainly, I just didn't enjoy them anymore.

16. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Video games. I still play but I used to enjoy a much wider variety. Most of this is due to the fact that after work, kids, chores around the house, etc. I usually don't have a free minute til aftet 10pm and I'm exhausted. Learning new games is too taxing and I sometime fall asleep.

17. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
    I lost interest in fishing due to too many regulations like slot size limitations, number allowed, short seasons, cost of licenses and gear, limited access points, fuel costs, and on and on. It's cheaper to just go to the fish market whenever I'm in the mood for fish.

Have also decreased my motorcycle touring due to my wife's declining health since I'm her at-home caregiver. But I haven't sold the bike just yet.

I'm very active with my grandchildren though as they help me feel young (mentally anyway), and they give me purpose in life.

Playing my guitars is still my main hobby because I can do it at home while remaining available to help out the wife.

18. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    I was into center pin drift fishing for Great Lakes run Steelhead and Salmon in the spring and fall. Summer was always Fly Fishing for Browns for me. I'm fortunate enough to have a world class Brown Trout fishery near me.
    I just lost interest in being a river rat once I got the boat. Trolling open water has become the new passion.

thunder58 and 5120mantis like this.
  19. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Video games and photography have fallen by the wayside, as have scuba diving and skydiving. I just can't afford those last two at the moment, mostly, and it's been long enough now that I've sort of become ambivelent. Photography bums me out, but I seem to only have room in my life for one realy hobby/passion, and music has been that for the past couple years. I'd like to get back into that though. Video games, meh... I'm pretty sure I won't be on my deathbed thinking "God, I wish I'd leveled up and gotten that new weapon that was marginally better than the one I had before so I can get some 'achievement' that only exists on a server somewhere." I probably will kick myself in the butt for not getting up on stage at that one jam that turned out a lot cooler than expected, or stopping the car for 5 minutes so I could get a shot of this amazing scenery up in the mountains that I may never get to go back to.
    Priorities.

russmack and thunder58 like this.