Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Have a bigsby idea. Has this been done?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Echocat23, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Echocat23

Echocat23 Electromatic

Jan 4, 2018
    Kansas City
    I love my bigsby. Since I was a kid I would draw 6120's with a two armed bigsby. Two mirrored arms. One on the left and one on the right. Just as a cool looking thing. But, i have never seen a two armed bigsby. Why would there be one? But a while ago while watching some great b-bender stuff I thought, "what about a a two armed bigsby. With the second arm flipping up under the back of your forearm/ elbow area acting as a b-bender" ? I hope this is easy to visualize? Is this practicle? Run the b string to a separate bar? Is this Stupid? Two armed bigsby!!!!! Come on?

BorderRadio and cowmoo like this.
  2. rob batz

rob batz Gretschie

Apr 17, 2014
    Bristol ct.
    Interesting , I’ve actully had the same image in my mind . I know of lefties using a righty bigsby with there forearm or hand

3. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    You'd need to make an entire new unit - two bars, two springs, two arms. Not un-doable, but some metal-working skills are most helpful.

Echocat23 likes this.
  4. Echocat23

Echocat23 Electromatic

Jan 4, 2018
    Kansas City
  5. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
  6. Echocat23

Echocat23 Electromatic

Jan 4, 2018
    Kansas City
    Why not? It wouldn't be for everybody. Nothing is. If it worked properly, you could make it a intricle part of your playing. Learning how much of your arm to use for certain effects. It could be way cool. It's a stylistic thing. Just like the Tele player who gets way into it with the more standard version and makes it part of his sound. Becoming a master of the physical mechanics of it. I think it could be a great thing for the people who really get it.

7. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    I like your creativity... must be the wisdom that comes from being from Kansas City!

Who says the proposed second arm (coming off the top of the unit) has to have a exact same style arm as the traditional? Maybe that could be more of a pad shape, that you could lean the palm of your strumming had into as needed, as opposed to reaching for the other handle. I would imagine this new device being fixed, leaving the other traditional arm as a swivel.

We've got some creative Photoshoppers on this site... let's see some mock-ups!

Echocat23 likes this.
  8. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    There's no technical reason why you couldn't. Have split shafts, and a different arm on each. If you were fancy enough with your hands, you could raise the pitch on one string or set of strings and lower it on others. Start in one chord, and end in another. You could do some cool things with it.

Echocat23 likes this.
  9. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I want one with a straw attached so I can slurp cherry cokes WHILE shimmering chords.

larryb, stevo and Echocat23 like this.
  10. Echocat23

Echocat23 Electromatic

Jan 4, 2018
    Kansas City
    That's what I'm saying!!!!

11. Echocat23

Echocat23 Electromatic

Jan 4, 2018
    Kansas City
    Amazing possibilities

12. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    There's something primal in this request. Kind of goes along with a king-kong chest beating yell.

Echocat23 likes this.
  13. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Not commercially. I think I may have seen a one-off though. Didn’t study it though, cause I was to disgusted with having the same idea a decade before.

14. afire

afire Country Gent

Two armed Bigsby? Sure!
    [​IMG]
    But why settle for two arms when you can have six...
    [​IMG]
    Or how about one arm and one pedal (the rare vintage pedal-actuated Bigsby B-bende)...
    [​IMG]

15. Echocat23

Echocat23 Electromatic

Jan 4, 2018
    Kansas City
    And a third arm to
    That's awesome!!!!!!! Wow. Having it right under the bridge is an amazing idea. I still want the elbow/ forearm bar. But I love this

16. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Paul Pigat shares the B-bender
    [​IMG]

Echocat23 likes this.
  17. Echocat23

Echocat23 Electromatic

Jan 4, 2018
    Kansas City
    I love this and want one. But I still want the second arm!!!! And I love my Billy brain and can you put a reverse delay on the mystery brain? And how much should I pay to have a 2000 ssugr refretted? Thanks for all your work.

18. dbirchett

dbirchett Gretschie

Feb 11, 2009
    Arizona
    Echocat23 likes this.
  19. dbirchett

dbirchett Gretschie

Feb 11, 2009
    Arizona
    You can also get a Bowden bender or multiple Bowden benders to attach to existing tailpieces:

Such as a stop bar:

[​IMG]

Strat (hardtail):

[​IMG]

Tele:

[​IMG]

As well as others.

Echocat23 likes this.