Happy NOS project guitar, and it's Candy Red Apple!

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Ricochet, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I was looking for a Strat project and was mainly perusing ads for Squier CV and Japanese Fernandes guitars. Saw an add for a US '97 Fender Stratocaster "California" in CAR. Admittedly the first thing that struck me was the price. 1.5 the price of a new Squier.

These were only made for 2 years('97-98) in an attempt to lower the prices on US made Fenders. Woodwork done in Corona, send to Mexico for Poly finishing, and then send back to Corona. Insert wall jokes here...
    Word is they were too good for their pricepoint and Fender pulled the plug. I dunno, feels like a good Strat, but it's not exceptional or anything.
    Looks pristine(CAR is such a great colour), but is in desperate need of a setup. Strings a mile from the frets, and it has US string spacing making both Es fall of the edge of the fretboard. Really bad cut nut, with the string spacing skewed to the bass side. I'm not surprised the previous owner let it go for a reasonable price. This guitar needs work. Also, I had forgotten how heavy a Strat can be...geez louise, anyway, pics!

D0EFCA91-8785-4E37-9EC6-A6491E8A5089.jpeg 29FA073B-B2ED-48C7-A8A4-3DB94C5B7591.jpeg 39A5F980-8DFB-4312-8878-3060E9108285.jpeg 67DAF12C-4CF2-47FB-A537-5435DCDDAE40.jpeg F3617AB9-2ACF-47DB-B8CC-F42F6BFE131B.jpeg

2. LongJohn

LongJohn Gretschie

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    Great score. So after the new nut, what are you changing?

Ricochet likes this.
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    New nut, bridge, pickguard, CS Fat50 pickups(my favourite). Except for the bridge I have everything here, hence the search for a Strat. Can't argue the logic in that. :)

larryb likes this.
  4. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Congrats, the CAR does look pretty great on that one!

Ricochet likes this.
  5. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Country Gent

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    Nice...
    I'm curious about what the 'AMX' prefix on the serial number is about. I've had a '97 US Tele B Bender from new with a serial that just statts 'N7'... could be a special run model?

EDIT: Now I've actually read your post, I remember them now... I think these were 'constructed' at Ensenada in their early days before they had the machinery to do the job... IIRC, Fender basically shipped parts 'over the bnrder' and they screwed them together... perhaps part of a staff training exercise?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    blueruins and Ricochet like this.
  6. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    Good one! I gotta look into the parts box and see what's in there to decide what project-guitar I should buy.

Ricochet likes this.
  7. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    That is possible. I know embarrassingly little about US Fenders. I had 2 assembly jobbies in the 80/90s comprised of Warmoth and Fernandes parts, and never felt the need to spoil on US(Fender) made, but here we are. :)

I checked the sn here: https://www.fender.com/product-registration/serial-search

Here is some more info: https://support.fender.com/hc/en-us...my-American-made-instrument-was-manufactured-
    N6 + 6 or 6 digits
    N7 + 5 or 6 digits
    V + 5 or 6 v (U.S. Vintage Series except ’52 Telecaster)

N7 + 5 or 6 digits
    N8 + 5 or 6 digits
    V + 5 or 6 digits (American Vintage Series)

AMXN7 was strictly reserved for the California series. Lore has it these were US made, painted in Mexico and send back to Corona for final assembly and setup, but who knows.
    Maybe Fender stopped production cause the California wasn't up to snuff. I'm holding the proof as we speak. People somehow always feel the need to talk up the stuff they have.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  8. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Sshhh....buy the parts first!

Floo and blueruins like this.
  9. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Mmmm . . .candy

Ricochet likes this.
  10. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    It`s a very nice looking guitar, it`s American made, it can be put in a good shape again without too much effort and it is obviously a bargain.
    As I learned here, you can change the American vintage bridge to a narrower Highway One bridge (USD 60) even without drilling a hole.
    What to worry about. That sounds great, Rich.

Ricochet likes this.
  11. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Tnx Frank. There are hundreds of Strat trems for sale but nobody can be bothered to post measurements....

Funny thing, 2 years ago I was planning to assemble my own white Hendrix strat. So I bought an old MiJ Fernandes, the last model before the headstock change. Finally collected all the replacement parts, than figured it wasn't the most economical thing to do. :rolleyes:
    I seriously looked long and hard at the Fender Hendrix strat. I almost got one last week just 2 miles from here. That would have been a crazy coincidence!

12. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats Rich,that is a rather nice looking Strat sir!:cool:

Ricochet likes this.
  13. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    As you know, I bought one of these last week. I really encourage you to seek for one yourself. From my personal experience they are well worth considering. I am a very critical person when it comes to mass-produced second -tier products like MIM. But this one is great. It is so much better made than all those seventies US strats that I bought for ignorant nostalgic reasons.

As soon as the (slight) problem with the string spacing is solved, this could be bull`s eye for me.
    Never played a more stratty guitar in my life.
    Nice neck, (although I looked for a more U-shaped one). The pickups are an epiphanie . Just wow. Great bridge-position sound. (I really gave up and was endlessly finished with this position.) And that cool look! Waiting for the new -narrower - Highway one bridge to install. I expect this oe to be the end of my perfect-strat-search.

Ricochet likes this.
  14. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Red and Fender.....SCORE!!! Congrats Rich!

Flouswa and Ricochet like this.
  15. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    loudnlousy likes this.
  16. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    LOL, I knew you'd dig the red Larry! :)

larryb likes this.
  17. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    You got that right, brother! My friend Flo @Flouswa would agree too!

Candy Apple, Sonic, Dakota...and my fav of all: Fiesta!
    She is really pretty...hope you enjoy

Flouswa likes this.
  18. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    It's weird, I only dig red on certain guitars. All Fenders, Gretsches, maybe a ES-3xx but not much else by Gibson.

larryb likes this.
  19. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    I had the black version of this Bird....but if I had gotten this red one, I would have never parted with it:cool:

redbird.jpg

Flouswa and Ricochet like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice