Happy Birthday Jeff Beck

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by tdtom, Jun 25, 2019.

1. tdtom

tdtom Gretschie

Oct 26, 2018
    new zealand
    the 75 year old six string slinger was born on 24 June 1944... amazing player to this day.

Freshy, Manny 86, Merc and 2 others like this.
  2. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I've seen him live twice in the past few years, always enthralling playing and never disappoints!

ZackyDog and tdtom like this.
  3. ramjac

ramjac Gretschie

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Seems like it took the Ronnie Scott’s video for him to finally achieve commercial success on a level anywhere near commensurate with his abilities.

I recommend the book “Hot Wired Guitar” for those who are into the rock bio thing.

Too many great recordings to pick a single favorite. I even like his contributions to the Young Guns movie “soundtrack” that Jon Bon Jovi released.

Here are a couple that I keep going back to:

tdtom likes this.
  4. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Jeff is about the only one of the 60's "Guitar Gods" I still pay any attention to. Nobody else out there quite like him - at 75 or any age!

DannyB, new6659, audept and 2 others like this.
  5. manunk

manunk Electromatic

Great player, good guy. I wonder why the lead melody part sounds so sweet in the major pentatonic, not so much in the minor pentatonic, but OK in the D minor scale ?

6. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    I taught that guy everything he knows.

Hack!

Kidding. Jeff is a monster.

DannyB and blueruins like this.
  7. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    A true master of the guitar. You got to love Jeff Beck.

DannyB and audept like this.
  8. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    One of the few living I’d love to see. Wishing him many more birthdays to come.

audept and blueruins like this.
  9. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    That was great, but the live version of “People Get Ready” that YouTube automatically played after the studio cut was even better. I just about lost it listening to Beck’s intro.

10. reverb11

reverb11 Gretschie

Jun 11, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Beck is the best! Really love his playing--imagine being still relevant after such a long career. Many guys are content just to rehash the past, but Jeff keeps on trying and learning. Happy Birthday!

blueruins likes this.
  11. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    His live version of "Day in the Life" is amazing. I saw him playing up close, less than 10 feet away, and it was effortless playing with a great touch.

DannyB and reverb11 like this.
  12. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Jeff Beck is an original. I won’t say that I’ve liked everything he’s done, but even when my tastes differ, his skill and artistry are of the highest caliber. He seems to be a part of the instrument.

13. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I have a great deal of respect for him. Some of his playing kinda falls into the uncanny valley for me. So smooth and precise, yet also sometimes feels too robotic. The feeling I get is listening to an auto tuner on voice.

blueruins likes this.
  14. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    After reading Jeff tried to model his phrasing after the voices of Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey I purchased several of their albums. Luckily the record shop had brown paper bags.
    Such is an the influence of the man, myth, legend. Many happy returns champ!

DannyB and blueruins like this.
  15. DannyB

DannyB Gretschie

Apr 26, 2019
    Michigan
    Happy birthday Jeff Beck!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice