Hangar Flying

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Synchro, Feb 3, 2019.

1. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Need sleep tonight, but will add a small story or two at a later date. Very limited experience, low time Certificated Airman, Single engine, land, with a tail dragger endorsement. Gave it up 10 years ago for financial reasons. Really enjoyed defying gravity though!

MTurner likes this.
  2. desertfox4

desertfox4 Synchromatic

Aug 19, 2010
    Cottonwood, AZ.
    Flying a fellow Kitfox pilot Saturday we approached Indian Hills Airpark from the southeast as done many times. 4 miles south east and about to call inbound, my right seater lets out a gasp and says OMG!. I look up and right in the windshield just in time to see an F16 on knife edge in a left turn filling my windshield. A quick roll right and a dive to stay out of his high G wake inducing jet wash, I started scanning for his wingman. Sure enough he was slightly behind his flight lead but thankfully further out and ahead of our little frightened piston driven fliver. This airapace is highly active at times with fun military toys. The pilot of that ship was looking right at us. He had us and I’m sure he was giggling under that oxy mask and dark visor. My copilot thought it ws a close call but no fear. I’ve had em closer than that before. God help me I love it so.

ruger9 and T Bone like this.
  3. desertfox4

desertfox4 Synchromatic

Aug 19, 2010
    Cottonwood, AZ.
    B6E96259-1829-4F09-9EB9-65D5CFB2E33F.jpeg
    What I’m currently building, Kitfox Model 7 Super Sport.

4B8A5FCD-BC15-4B7D-B997-C8905ACBF338.jpeg
    What I’m flying currently, Kitfox model 5 Vixen

ruger9, gretschbo and T Bone like this.
  4. BrianW

BrianW Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    That sir, looks like too much fun! I'm jealous!

desertfox4 likes this.
  5. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    Heckuva place to lose GPS.

6. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    I was guided into a close encounter with a 747, once, by a flight examiner. He just wanted to see how I’d react.

desertfox4 likes this.
  7. BrianW

BrianW Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    Hah! That sounds like the "good" old days when examiners would actually shut down an engine on a missed approach - in cloud. I agree with training as realistic as it can get, but perhaps not at that level !

desertfox4 likes this.
  8. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Hangar Flying !

A+!

desertfox4 and new6659 like this.
  9. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    And here comes the hanger of my Flying:

IMG_2564.JPG

10. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    Oh the humanity! :)

11. desertfox4

desertfox4 Synchromatic

Aug 19, 2010
    Cottonwood, AZ.
    Little video from our airpark’s newest members.

12. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    Great stuff. Man, I love them Cubs. The only thing that separates me from a Carbon Crafters Cub is a great big pile of money. :)

ruger9 and desertfox4 like this.
  13. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Reminds me of the videos I've seen of the Alaskan bush pilots and their STOL aircraft with the giant cartoon wheels. Those guys are certifiably nuts!

14. BrianW

BrianW Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    Enjoyed that video - that is what actual flying is about! I miss the simple fun of "stick and rudder" flight.

15. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    That's the best of it. Flying Air Alaska was a reality TV show about a commuter airline/charter service in Alaska. Lots of hairy crosswind ops, etc. Looks like great fun.

16. BrianW

BrianW Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    Uh-oh.... crosswinds.... one of my early experiences in a DC-3 in a place that used to be called Coppermine (north central Arctic) involved a 40 plus knot 90 degree crosswind on a snow covered runway. Full rudder and differential power and I still swear we were going sideways most of the takeoff run.
    Another was in a KingAir at a major airport in southern Canada. Again snow covered taxiways and runway. We were actually sliding at times taxiing out. At the threshold of the runway waiting for takeoff clearance the wind gusted up a bit and turned us 90 degrees with the brakes set! I really don't know what was so important about that flight, but about then I was wishing I was inside watching...

new6659 likes this.
  17. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    It’s easy to forget, but we fly ‘em from tiedown to tiedown. I remember having a heck of a wrestling match taxiing a Cessna 185.

18. BrianW

BrianW Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    Yessir, very much from tie-down to tie-down. And the 185 probably harder to taxi than anything with 2 engines in a crosswind! (I never "worked" in one so missed that treat) Another bonus with 2 engines, provided they are PT6's (with reversing props) is differential reverse on landings. Kept me on the straight and narrow more than a few times.

19. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    The 185 is notorious. I’ve never flown one, taxiing was ‘tax(i)ing’ enough. :)

One place I worked hand an old Piper Pawnee on the flight line. I always felt like John Wayne when I taxied it up to the maintenance hangar. My tailwheel flying was restricted to Citabrias, which were a lot of fun. Even the little 110 HP models were a hoot.

20. BrianW

BrianW Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    My first experience in a tail dragger was a Fleet Canuck - 80 hp worth of pure fun! I took an aerobatic course from an ex Air Force guy. Folks told me it was a waste of money, a Fleet "isn't aerobatic". This guy could do a series of rolls without spilling his coffee; that was good enough for me!! Anyone can roll a Pitts, just move the stick and put it back, done. I guess it's the learn on a standard before driving an automatic philosophy.
    Years later managed to get a couple of flights in a Stearman (open cockpit biplane for those that may read this and not know)
    It reminded me a lot of the Canuck in some ways - but taxiing was something else. Zero forward visibility. Can't imagine the war years and low time guys getting into something like an F4U Corsair for the first time!
    I often thought about owning something like a Citabria, but being a pilot could never afford it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice