Halifax!

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by section2, Aug 8, 2018.

1. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I'm on vacation with the family in beautiful Halifax, Nova Scotia. We arrived at our AirBnB today, and God bless my wife, she managed to unknowingly book us a place within a one-block walk of a vintage guitar shop and a Long & McQuade (which is basically the Canadian equivalent of Guitar Center). Of course I visited both within an hour of our arrival. The vintage shop had a few cool guitars, including a DeArmond hollow body, a Gretsch Honey Dipper, and a lovely silver sparkle USA Tele.

It was just about closing time when I stepped into L&M, but they were kind enough to set me up with a G6118T-135 Annie and a Deluxe Reverb for ten minutes of bliss. I'd never played either before—and it's possible that the two of them together cost more than the total amount that I've spent on all musical gear over the course of my life—but sweet mercy, the tones that came out of that guitar and that amp were just unspeakably beautiful. So gorgeous.

So I'm loving Halifax so far.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  2. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I was also gratified to see that L&M was selling a used G5620T for $300CAD more than I paid for my used G5620T three weeks ago—and mine came with a hard case!

3. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Enjoy your vacation. It sure seems to have started out right!

section2 likes this.
  4. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Pics please!

5. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Unknowingly booked a vacation next to 2 music shops ...... watch out , something's coming :confused:.... just kiddin' . Enjoy the vacation

buchon2111 and section2 like this.
  6. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    I know you should eat donairs and a lobster sandwich.

One of my favourite NSFW Youtube Videos is called All About Halifax.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    section2 likes this.
  7. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I'm eating all the lobsters. There will be no more lobsters by the time I'm done here, because I will have eaten all of them.

Speaking of donairs: a friend of mine who grew up in New Brunswick hosts an East Coast Christmas party every year, and last year he had me sit in with the house band on mandolin and vocals for a few tunes. The band name: Donairoquai.

(I show up around 22:30.)

LivingMyDream and Beardog like this.
  8. National19

National19 Country Gent

Jan 4, 2014
    Ottawa Canada
    I love it out there. If I could move anywhere in Canada, I would move there in a heartbeat, but my wife won’t leave where we are. Aside from my family home in Texas, that is where I would live.

section2 likes this.
  9. MattMcEwen

MattMcEwen Gretschie

Mar 23, 2018
    Halifax

Welcome to my stomping grounds! Have fun, and get some Cow’s down by the waterfront to cool off.

section2 likes this.
  10. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Funny you should mention that. We had a Texan tour guide today--he was a young guy who'd moved up here to go to university at Dalhousie. Nice kid!

11. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Thanks for the tip! We didn't make it to Cow's today, but we did treat ourselves to bowls of gelato after a fantastic Italian lunch down by the water at A Mano. We're thinking of making the drive to Lunenburg tomorrow for the Harbour Folk Festival. They have some great acts playing this year: Old Man Luedecke and Matthew Byrne are two of my favourite East Coast artists, and what's a trip to the Maritimes without a little music?

MattMcEwen likes this.
  12. That was my first Gretsch personal experience, an Annie and a DRRI.... You are so correct about the bliss! Have fun in one of the great Canadian cities!

section2 likes this.
  13. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    We took the kids to the Discovery Centre (a great children's science museum on the waterfront) today. I had fun teaching them how to build a simple circuit—with a CTS pot, no less! 20180810_135023.jpg
    20180810_135037.jpg

ishtar and johnny g like this.
  14. Beardog

Beardog Gretschie

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    My boys loved the Discovery Centre when they were young. I kinda miss going there lol. Lots to do in Halifax. Enjoy

section2 likes this.
  15. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Public Service Announcement: 20180811_091615_HDR.jpg leftover donair meat makes an outstanding omelette.