Ha! Hofners

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Winterwind, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    The white/gold tea cups were already on it when I bought it. Previous owner mod. (And that was definitely a selling point for me!) Switches are painted white - also by previous owner..

I hadn't noticed that "extra room" between the tailpiece and bridge pup that you refer to - I'm assuming that's a good thing?.. :) I did have it set up after I bought it - My tech never mentioned anything to me about that, one way or the other.. Not sure if he adjusted it that way or not.

It plays and sounds great, though.

[​IMG]

2. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    Yours looks like it's got maybe 1.5cm more room. I'd think it'd be beneficial but hell, I've played for 32 years, didn't do my first truss rod adjustment until maybe three or four years ago and only just heard the term break angle a month ago.

Your pick guard has three screws. Mine only has the middle one. Owner mod as well?

I looked it up and apparently the Icon is made in China for the European market and the Ignition series is Indonesian for North America but they're essentially the same.

I just saw a Hofner that I've never see before, a royal blue one on a Canadian store's site. But I wouldn't think they're big enough for custom a run like Sweetwater's purple and orange Hofners a couple months back. AFAIK Canada is Long & McQuade and Ma & Pa shops.

https://www.12fret.com/instruments/hofner-gold-label-500-1-violin-bass-royal-blue/

Too much blue for me, it definitely needs a pickguard to break it up. Or slap a Toronto Maple Leafs logo on it and go gigging in Montreal.

And damn, when I got the V '63 it was $2999. Well, that was 15 years ago but still. I had no idea German ones were 4k CDN now.

3. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I'm not sure if the three pickguard screws are stock or not - I got mine used, and the previous owner did do some mods to this one (tea cups, white switches, etc.). I'll have to go check some pics of these older Hofner Icons on-line to see if they also have the 3 screws in the p-g..

OK - Yep, looks like the 3 screws in the pickguard is stock on these, from the photos I've seen.

4. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I have a modded Ignition that I couldn’t love more. It’s amazing. Intonation is not perfect, but below the octave it’s all groove and pocket and warm perfect thuddy tone. It sits PERFECTLY in a track no matter what I use it for. Definitely my favorite bass design ever.

DC374138-539E-4B62-88B7-22EFD98A9718.jpeg

Winterwind, new6659 and Telechamp like this.
  5. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    Hmmm. I'm not sure what's going on here but...

After moving the bridge and tweaking the intonation, which is pretty damned close now, the tone improved a lot. It's deeper, with more sustain and I love it. I don't get it but I'll take it.

However, now the tailpiece buzzes periodically when I play the low E. If I just apply a titch of downward pressure on it with my finger, it stops. It's never done that before. Any ideas?

6. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    No clue. Mine sounds great and doesn't buzz at all, so I ain't touchin' it!

7. MichaelHargis

MichaelHargis Gretschie

Apr 2, 2017
    Tucson, Az
    new6659 likes this.
  8. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Anothers, they're really nice... Perhaps too bling to me, but no I love them all.

Attached Files:

9. arty

arty Gretschie

Aug 5, 2017
    Wales UK
    presumably violin basses have to be played left handed to keep them in tune.

10. 19MGB76

19MGB76 Gretschie

Jul 31, 2018
    Minnesota
    I play mine two handed.

11. afire

afire Country Gent

Well, I might as well take this opportunity to show off the last Hofner I owned, a 1961 President. I was expecting to love it based on my last experience with a toaster-equipped '61 Hofner, which was a Club 60 that suited me to a T. For whatever reason, it just didn't make the sound I was expecting so I ended up selling it. But it was a gorgeous guitar and played like a charm.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

j.s.c and new6659 like this.
  12. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    Well, I've no idea of what I've done to my bass but I can't fix the rattle from the tailpiece with the open E and A. And the tension on the A string is really high, the E feels slack in comparison.

Swear to god all I did was slacken the strings enough to check the zero fret for wear and adjust the intonation. Oh, cruel irony! Got the intonation the best it's been but create a rattle. Off to my friend's shop she goes.

Just as well though. The underside of the bridge should probably be sanded to fit the contour of the body. That's always had fairly noticeable gap on the outside of the E side, enough to wedge the tip of a 0.60 pick under for a few mm.

13. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Do the Club basses have the same tuning issues as the Violin versions?

14. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    Dunno. Never tried a Club although I love the look.

Being stubborn I persisted and fixed the rattle. I had to loosen each string again then apply tension by using my thumb to hold the string to the fretboard (around the 22nd fret) while using my index finger (between the pickups) to lift and hold the string while tightening with the tuning peg. Rattle gone. I've never restrung my bass before (my guy would do it during setups) so... lesson learned I guess.

I don't think I want to try sanding the underside of the bridge though. I'll leave that for him but it needs it. The angle it has to be on to intonate has it making very little contact on the E side.

rps20190117_183055.jpg

15. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    England
    MichaelHargis likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice