Guitars You Wish You'd Bought

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston

Me too.

Love this guitar!

Merc likes this.
  2. unknown fan

unknown fan Gretschie

Aug 7, 2018
    Tn
    s-l1600.jpg Back in 1989, I wanted a LP custom but wanted a 1952 F-1 more - ended up wrecking the truck on 10.26.1992... Should have bought the guitar.

Merc, drmilktruck and new6659 like this.
  3. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    PM sent.

BE3E344B-64B6-42A9-BE13-A48ED78B2F8F.jpeg 4F975A2E-E992-41EE-AAB0-2B195A293B1E.jpeg

thunder58 likes this.
  4. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    My good friend had a white one pickup Charvel back in the day that screamed. It was one of those magical guitar where the harmonics just pour out like watercolors.

I’m still pissed that he sold it without offering me first chance...I always loved that guitar.

5. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I wish I bought @davenumber2 Gibson SG faded ( still in the for sale section BTW )

blueruins and davenumber2 like this.
  6. davenumber2

davenumber2 Electromatic

Nov 1, 2019
    Columbia, MO
    @thunder58 I wish you'd buy it too. There's still time ;)

larryb and thunder58 like this.
  7. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    It's a great price....do it now, man!!!

davenumber2 and thunder58 like this.
  8. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    You're twisting my arm ..........:rolleyes:

davenumber2 likes this.
  9. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    I am not an SG fan, otherwise....I would scoop this one up...seriously...the faded series were very good gits!

davenumber2 likes this.
  10. johnny g

johnny g Country Gent

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Easy, Gibson ES Super 400, just like M. Travis's. Never could find the money for it.

11. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I believe once a window closes another door opens, several even. The proof is in my modest guitar collection. :)

But from the guitars that got away, I would have liked to have gotten that Catalyst Jakkerman.
    upload_2019-12-8_17-26-7.jpeg

Long story short, I actually saw the proto being worked on in the factory. The material and construction would have been ideal for my location.

20 odd years later I was on Monkey Island and phoned the Dutch seller who was representing one of the old investors who is cleaning out his garage.
    We agreed if he couldn’t sell it he would be in touch. He never did, so I guess I missed out on that one.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  12. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    That's a Broadway. The Emperor has a single floating minihumbucker attached to the end of the fingerboard. Same body, though, on both models. The Terada-made Elitist models of any of the various Epiphones are VERY good guitars, as good as or better than their USA Gibson equivalents. And pricy too. I bet this Broadway was around $2000.

13. slickfaster

slickfaster Gretschie

Dec 29, 2009
    Redondo bch.
    In 86 I had the opportunity to get a 70s double cut stereo White Falcon for 2k....
    still want one!!!

14. Rock Lajoint

Rock Lajoint Gretschie

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    It's an Emperor. Or every Emperor I saw at the time, including a magazine review, was misnamed.

15. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Japanese Epiphone Emperors have been well documented.
    Epi made several Elitist archtops, but frankly I’ve never seen an Elitist Broadway. Not that makes it definitive, but still...

I think some confusion stems from Gibson/Epiphone using the same Emperor body shape for all the Asian 17” jazzboxes.
    Depending on electronic arrangement or other features they would be designated as:
    Emperor Regent(floating PU), Broadway(2 HB), Zephyr(3 PUs), Byrdland(short scale) and the Country Deluxe(the Chet model)

Note the Joe Pass is an Emperor II(16” bout)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  16. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Mosrite Johnny Ramone. I wanted one for years but never had the money at the time I needed it.
    Other than that, I pretty much bought any guitar that I liked and was in my price range.
    Then I got married.:D

new6659 likes this.
  17. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I own all three Epiphones with that 17" body & 25.5" scale. The floating mini-humbucker model is labeled Emperor, the 2 pickup model is labeled Broadway, & the 3 P90 version is labeled Zephyr Blues Deluxe.

new6659 likes this.
  18. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Back in 1977, almost bought a 60's 6119 jobbie. Also, came very close to buying a Kohno 8 for a mere $1000, would be worth $3000 today.

19. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    cough cough @davenumber2

20. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    In 1981 I had a chance to buy a new Rickenbacker 325 (John Lennon) for $300 with a hard shell case. At the same time there was a new Rickenbacker 330 12 string with a hard shell case for $500 - I bought that one and still have it.
    I was playing out of town and I thought it would have been bad for my marriage returning home from the road with two new guitars (one was bad enough)...:D.
    Thinking back I should have bought the 325 too.. I've been married for 43 years and I've done worse things than that and we're still together...:p.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice