Guitars You Wish You'd Bought

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Nov 16, 2019.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Stolen from the GDP.

What guitars did you have a chance to buy but didn't and wish you had?

Merc likes this.
  2. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    Gretsch electromatic Bo Diddley. Anyone want to sell one?

drmilktruck and Merc like this.
  3. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    That’s an easy one for me. The Gretsch G6129T RDSP LTD from a few years back. There were three for sale at the time and I hesitated a bit too long.

F1B2D6D9-4655-4948-9373-3C951566A460.jpeg

WernerF, jfassett, Crooner and 13 others like this.
  4. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Always loved but never owned ... Gibson SG
    * A friend was selling her baritone guitar 2 years ago . Wish I had bought it
    * My buddy sold his Sears SG he's had since he was 16 . Something like $40 at a garage sale . That was also about 2 years ago . Wished I had known :(

T Bone and drmilktruck like this.
  5. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Funny, someone else mentioned that model in the GDP thread.

T Bone likes this.
  6. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    Was me. In the GDP. Hope I got it on here soon enough before it gets swamped. Nice thread, dreaming of this stuff gets us through the night. That model of Bo seems to have a good raspy tone for Gretschbuckers

drmilktruck likes this.
  7. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Kinda strange, I can’t think of any I wish had purchased. However, I can think of
    ones I wish had never sold.

8. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Yes, a used sunburst Jazz Bass, in 1966. I couldn't afford $130, & the owner wouldn't take $100. I seriously regret that.

drmilktruck and new6659 like this.
  9. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    This local Craigslist offering - Just this past week... Coulda.. Shoulda..

Didn't take long for somebody to snatch this one up...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  10. GlenP

GlenP Gretschie

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    I really like my (Electric Folk) EF-340S (Solid spruce top) Takamine acoustic/electric (piezo UST) dreadnought, Mahogany/Spruce, 1986 vintage MIJ, earlier Martin copies spawned a lawsuit and required a change of headstock shape. It has been a real dependable workhorse over the years.

But if I had spent $100 more at the time, I could have gotten the cut-away body Rosewood/Spruce, which would later become the basis for their Glenn Frey signature model, EF-360SC (EF-360S/GF), and I guess the Garth Brooks one too.

I never thought I would play that high on the neck to need a cutaway on an acoustic guitar, and kind of thought they looked strange at the time. Now, they are more commonplace and don't look so strange, and I can play that high on the neck sometimes.

a few pages from their 1985 catalog. I think the prices at the time were like $350 for the EF-340S and $460 for the EF360-SC, but I don't remember exactly. And they also had a 12-string version of the rosewood model, the EF-400SC, but I was totally not ready for that at the time.

Takamine.jpg

Takamine_2.jpg

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    LivingMyDream and drmilktruck like this.
  11. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Well, here goes. We’re in a “trust tree”, right?

FDDAAA60-A9FE-43B9-9A2A-D973D1D3987F.jpeg

12. Zeek

Zeek Gretschie

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    In 1979 me and my Mom went to Halpin Music to buy a guitar I wanted the Peavey T 60. My Mom wanted me to get a Washburn Wing series her maiden name was Washburn. I left guitarless and bought a knock off blue strat in a home made plywood case. What a Idiot, should of took the Washburn.

th (4).jpg th (3).jpg

13. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    925047D1-8586-4645-B686-CD0393CD4B5A.jpeg
    forgive me, @audept for borrowing your photo.
    i should have bought one of these when i fell in love with it at my local GC 7 or 8 years ago. I was haggling over the trade in value of a Gibson es125 and i think we ended up quibbling over a difference of $100 or so and meanwhile someone else bought it. The reissues with gold hardware dont quite do it for me.

14. Zeek

Zeek Gretschie

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    My buddys brother had a Gibson L6S Midnight Special I thought was the koolest guitar I always wanted one but have not came across one.

L6S-santana76.jpg

15. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I still kick myself for not grabbing the G5126 I ran into a couple years ago. It was upgraded to a B3, TruArc, & Zero Glide & included a Gretsch HSC for $500 & it clicked really well feel & acoustic sound-wise in the 10 minute unplugged spin I got to take it on. Unfortunately for me, I saw it on my way out of the store, had to get back to work & figured I'd come back to give it a proper try (& almost certainly buy it) the next day. Of course when I went back for it it was gone.

Stock pic:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  16. Butch Ammon

Butch Ammon Gretschie

Jan 3, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    Back in the early 80's when I was in the USCG, stationed on Governors Island, in NY City... I remember going up to Manny's Music on 48th St. in Manhattan and absolutely fell in love with a beautiful gloss white, double neck Gibson ES-1275. It was heavy as a boat anchor, but as soon as I doodled around with "Hotel California", that was it. I died and went to Heaven! I wanted it so bad, but unfortunately, I saw the price tag and almost had a stroke! :(

[​IMG]

17. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

I could fill a page...

Lessee, there was a great ES 335 back in the 70s. New, at a local music store. There was a very early Hamer, bound body Explorer style, Cherry Burst finish. Think it was their first year, if I recall it was serial #00076.

A bit later (around 1990), a guy had a couple different 1960 Strats at a good price, loved them both. Then he had a refinished Sonic Blue one from I think 1961, at a ridiculous good price.

There was a Jeff Beck Strat at a local shop that just felt incredible to me.

Fast forward, there was a Black Phoenix or two that really interested me that I passed on. And one Double Jet in Champagne Sparkle that was listed here. Never played any of those, but I'm pretty sure I would have loved them. Fortunately for me, I did manage to snag more than got away, my collection is kinda over the top (to most people anyway). I count my blessings regularly.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  18. there was a purple Setzer Hot Rod at the Guitar Center in Edina. I played it and it played well. however, I decided not to get it because my 1959 6124 Annie satisfied all of my hollowbody needs. it still does, but I did like that purple color.

drmilktruck, T Bone and RG7X like this.
  19. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Gretsch Reverend Horton Heat... saw one in mint condition for a steal and let it go...

20. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Gretschie

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    An orange danelectro dead on 67 for me. I played it in guitar center and just loved it but Felt it was too cheaply made for the price. So I waited for the price to come down. It didn’t. Just got more expensive and harder to find
    upload_2019-11-16_18-51-18.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice