Guitars made in Indonesia, Pt.1

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Ricochet, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Part 1 ) The Big Boys

Over the last 10-15 years you may have noticed an increase of guitars labeled “Made in Indonesia”.

Inevitably the question arises if they are any good, and comparisons are drawn with their Chinese and Korean counter parts, usually with a generous helping of sweeping generalisations. (I think this thread is not the time or place to offer my personal opinion on this, but rest assured, there will be one)

What I mainly would like for this thread, is people to start realising these guitars are made by different factories, owned by different companies. So I thought I’d outline the big three, incidentally all Korean owned.

P.T. Cort(or Cor-Tek) located in Ngoro, Mojokerto, near Surabaya, East Java. Operational since 1995.

Arguably the biggest of the 3(or quite possibly in the world, together with Fender and Gibson).
    Reportedly Cort produces roughly 1 Million guitars a year, between their Korean, Chinese and Indonesian factories.
    Beside their own Cort branded guitars PT Cort manufactures for Ibanez, Fender/Squier(includes amps), G&L, Gretsch, Laguna, Avalon/Lowden, Music Man, Schecter, Lakland, Strandberg, EVH, Chapman and Jackson among others.

P.T. Samick, in Cileungsi near Bogor, West Java, Indonesia. Operational since 1992.

Current guitar production capacity 35000 guitars a month(420000 a year).
    PT Samick manufactures for Greg Bennett, Silvertone, Fender/Squier(includes acoustics), Epiphone, Cordoba, Washburn, and Hohner among others.

P.T. Wildwood, Serang, Banten, east of Jakarta, West Java. Since 2006.
    PT Wildwood manufactures for Schecter, PRS(SE), D’Angelico, Yamaha, Fender, ESP(LTD), Supro, Jackson, and Dean among others.

Note the brand overlap here. Several brands have(or had) their guitars made by different factories.

If you’re wondering, “PT” is an acronym for Perseroan Terbatas, a business entity that is formed and acts per commercial law.
    Any Indonesian company receiving foreign investment must take the form of a PT.
    Note that by law, non-Indonesians can not own land or property in Indonesia.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    emitex, Henry, hcsterg and 7 others like this.
  2. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    What Fender guitars are made in Indonesia?

3. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    My Fender JA-90 Jim Adkins Tele. Other than that no idea.

upload_2020-2-1_12-42-54.jpeg

emitex and blueruins like this.
  4. TW4990

TW4990 Gretschie

Aug 20, 2016
    Sydney Australia
    Pretty sure the FMT telecasters with the Seymour Duncan humbuckers are made in Indonesia.

gjohnson441496 and Ricochet like this.
  5. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Interesting Part 1

dak55 and Ricochet like this.
  6. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

My Indonesian babe:
    Gretsch G2655T GoldDust800.jpg
    It's way more than "any good": incredible action, great quality.
    And thanks to you, I could see on Google maps exactly where it comes from.

Ricochet and thunder58 like this.
  7. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Gretsch whose serial number starts with KS are also made by Samick in Korea (K=Korea, S=Samick), according to the numbering tables found on GretschPages. Here are 2 examples of G5420LH :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A+!

DannyB and thunder58 like this.
  8. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    What do you mean “also”? I’m strictly talking Indonesian guitar manufacturing.

9. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Tnx Rich. Just trying to add something useful to the internet.
    I made a factory list for Asian Epiphones once, which crops up everywhere.
    But I can’t add to it since I’m banned from both the Gibson/Epiphone forum and blocked from Wikipedia(for preposterous reasons).

Edit: That is blocked from editing Wikipedia. I can still acces and read the pages.

thunder58 likes this.
  10. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Ricochet and LivingMyDream like this.
  11. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    @Ricochet : Sorry, I simply didn't knew that Samick had also a factory in Indonesia :confused:. My Gretsch G100 RI and my 2 G5420LH all came from Samick, in Korea, hence my comment.

My local dealer from which I will receive a CV 50 Squier Tele LH in February told me that these Indonesian Squier were from a lesser quality compared to the Chinese one... Myth or reality ? I don't know... o_O

That said, my Supro Westbury LH is made in Indonesia and is flawless...

[​IMG]

So according to your intro post informations, her serial number starting letters would mean :

I = Indonesia
    W = P.T. Wildwood factory

So would the rest of the S/N° (17060915) mean :

1706 = June 2017 ?
    0915 = 915th instrument produced that year ?

o_Oo_Oo_O

A+!

Ricochet likes this.
  12. DannyB

DannyB Gretschie

Apr 26, 2019
    Michigan
    Hi, thanks for the informative post. My 2017 Gretsch Streamliner 2622LH was made in Indonesia and I have no problems with it. Great sounds, versatile, very light weight, love the Broad'tron pickups (they were designed in the United States by engineers for Fender Music, who now owns Gretsch), plus the guitar is great looking! Compares well with my American made Gibson SG! IMG_20190530_235323_hdr.jpg IMG_20190530_235726.jpg

new6659, Ricochet and hcsterg like this.
  13. DannyB

DannyB Gretschie

Apr 26, 2019
    Michigan
    Love your guitars! Always nice to see a fellow lefty on the site!

14. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    :D This is the funniest thing I’ll see on the internet today.

Ricochet, Jeff67 and JeffreyLeePierre like this.
  15. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Ricochet, thanks for the information on Indonesian guitar manufacturing. It's cool to be able to connect the dots.​

Thanks for the pic of the Cort facility, Jeffrey. It's a nice looking facility, in a very beautiful setting.

JeffreyLeePierre and Ricochet like this.
  16. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Thank you @DannyB ! ;)

So yes, Gretsch Streamliner are Indonesian-made - sorry again, I didn't knew this... :oops:

Your G2622LH is now announced in a nice Gunmetal color (Grey-Blue metallic, it seems) :

https://www.gretschguitars.com/gear...-block-with-v-stoptail-left-handed/2806320568

[​IMG]

Every owner praises his Gretsch Streamliner, so it's tempting - at least as a mod platform...

A+!

Ricochet and DannyB like this.
  17. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Gretschie

Jan 2, 2018
    USA
  18. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I haven’t looked into sn numbers, but reckon you’re correct here.
    CI for Cort Indonesia.
    Regarding our ’50s CV Tele... I expect the dealer to be right. But it’s the old adagio, what is Fender willing to pay, and what do they think customers are prepared to pay?
    If you look at the manufacturing list there is quite a few guitars selling well over the 1K price point. D’Angelico, Fender, Sandberg etc. Clearly the Indonesian factories can produce a respectable mid-tier guitar. So that is not the problem.
    I bought my 2 CVs around the 350 mark and in 10 years the prices increased until they were almost 500 bucks. Now they’re back to 300/400 so we know something had to give.

hcsterg likes this.
  19. rake_ether

rake_ether Electromatic

Aug 24, 2019
    Athens, GA USA
    Deciphering my Indonesian made Peavey JF-1 serial number is slightly more complex than Gretsch's. JF-1 Serial Number.jpg

20. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    :D:p:cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice