Guitar World : The Secrets Behind Townsend's Tone On "Won't Get Fooled Again" and The Gretsch G6120

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by ZackyDog, Jul 8, 2019.

1. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Yep.

20190223_223530.jpg

2. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    oh, IDK.... even Setzer has a "loud one" in his collection... it happens with hand-wound pickups back in the day...

please standby, apparently the video I'm after is no loner on youtube, so I'll have to upload it...

Well crap.... ok here's the deal:

Young Guitar (Japan) put out a DVD in 2014 of Brian sitting down and playing a large chunk of his collection. Which included several vintage 6120s.

I HAVE the DVD, but I have no idea where it is (Tavo?? You got this?)... but in going thru his several 6120s, one was considerably louder than the rest... he even said "woah! This is a LOUD one!" so there you go...

Sorry I can't provide the video evidence at this time LOL

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  3. ramjac

ramjac Gretschie

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I always scratched my head at this statement, but I figured if anybody can identify a loud guitar, it’s Pete. The 6120/coily cable/volume pedal/Bandmaster was going to be my copy-the-artist rig of choice, but in my heart of hearts I still prefer his Woodstock/Leeds/Wight/(and RnR Circus?) tone, even though I’ll likely never figure a way to sneak a Hiwatt into the garage. I did get a coily cable.

loudnlousy likes this.
  4. rze99

rze99 Electromatic

Aug 8, 2017
    London, England

I also prefer the SG and Hiwatt live sound. Check out Live at Hull. Sounds better than live at Leeds.

5. ramjac

ramjac Gretschie

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Good catch - I forgot about Hull. Picked it up after reading Roger’s book. Roger claims that Leeds was too loud and Hull has better balance. I generally agree - the vocal does sound less strained on Hull (Substitute/Happy Jack/I’m A Boy) but I also like the raucous overplaying on Leeds, particularly during the My Generation medley leading into “Coming Out To Get You”.

6. rze99

rze99 Electromatic

Aug 8, 2017
    London, England
    Yes it is a theatre and the whole feel is closer. The guitar tone is better, it sounds tighter and the drums are up a bit. I rarely listen to Rog carefully to be truthful... I'm mostly tracking the interaction of the three piece unit when I'm listening.

7. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I saved it somewhere.. sigh. :) lemme look on vimeo, hopefully I can not run into the bad vids. Its like navigating a ship in shallow water at night. Right now only a preview of the DVD in the mag is on youtube. I actually created a clip but things get pulled down all the time.

ruger9 likes this.
  8. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Yeah, I thought I had saved it (on my computer), but since I can't FIND it on my computer, that reminded me that I think I bought the DVD on youtube... but I have no idea where I put it LOL

9. Fredo

Fredo Synchromatic

Jan 18, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    Somehow, Pete gets that exact same sound out of his Strat.

stiv likes this.
  10. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I'm guessing: it may be his hands. :)

11. afire

afire Country Gent

Also Gretsch wasn't totally consistent with pot values. Or maybe they were but I haven't figured out the pattern. Overwhelmingly 500k, IMO. But once in a while I've come across 1M pots. That will result in a louder guitar too.

12. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Yes, Billy Zoom has commented that the early duojets w Dynasonics had 1meg pots.. a brighter, slightly more aggressive zip to the sound. Dynas are already hellah bright, egads!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice