Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Guitar weights

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Bertotti, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have not weighed my Broadway Jade but it sure feels like the heaviest electric I have. Are these Gretsch Penguins inherently heavy or it is just body shape leaving me with this impression? Don't get me wrong it doesn't bother me just seemed quite a bit heavier than my two starts. I think some of it is the body profile but I'm not sure. I need to get to a scale and weigh them to really see. Just curious if any of you noticed anything like this.

2. Synchro

Synchro Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    I keep an inexpensive fish scale in my guitar room for just such eventualities.

ruger9 and audept like this.
  3. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I'm stuck getting on and off a bathroom scale holding each.

ruger9 likes this.
  4. Synchro

Synchro Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    Been there. One day I looked up fish scales at Amazon and they are nearly free.

ruger9 likes this.
  5. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    My Annie Jr is 6.5 lbs. LOVE the light weight.

audept likes this.
  6. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Most luggage shops will carry an inexpensive strap-type weight gauge. As long as you are careful how you attach the strap fitting to the guitar you will get a good measurement.

7. Charles Conner

Charles Conner Gretschie

May 19, 2016
    Maryland
    Just checked the weight of my Les Paul that has a Duesenberg les trem, a GK3 pickup and controller assy with it's steel mounting bracket and a thick leather strap. It comes to 10.2 lbs. My Gretsch 5120 is 6.8 lbs. I used my bathroom scale while holding the guitars and subtracting my weight.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  8. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    My G3140 Historic (center block) and my G5235T Pro Jet are both about 10 pounds. Used the century plus old scale from my grandfather's meat shop. It's within an ounce.

9. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    My 6112TCB junior center-block is 7.12 lbs and my 6118T-JR Anniversary Junior tone post is a very light 6.84 lbs. I should get them all weighed.

10. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    The hollow bodies are s bit more consistent in weight because they're plywood, a Jet is hogged out of solid mahogany which can vary alot.