Guitar Slides of note - what are they?

Discussion in 'Gretsch "Roots" Acoustic Forum' started by Runamok, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Runamok

Runamok Electromatic

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    Found a monster good slide?
    Anyone have a preferred slide & string combination?

For my part, just received a couple of Rocky Mountain ceramics.
    Getting a slide to fit just right, put me in Doc's court. I likes it. Not quite as clean crisp in the high register as a Pyrex slide, has a little more grit to my ear.

Henry likes this.
  2. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Latch Lake Sliderite, ive had one for at least 20 years and its my favorite out of around 10 slides i own, i also use their Brozophonic steel and its excellent too. I really dig the old Nick Manaloff bakelite steels.

3. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I mainly use thick copper, it has the right grain and it's less bright than brass or metal (that sometimes I use when I play something like Americana music). I'm not a fan of plastic, glass or coricidin bottles, the sound is too clean and I'm a Son House/Elmore James/Hound Dog Taylor fan.
    The fact that both my uncles are metalworkers helps a lot, as I can have any material/diameter/lenght/thickness I want when I want. And I wash them all on the Arno River. I'm not joking. :D

4. swivel

swivel Gretschie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I use my pinky so I use the Dunlop glass slide #212. I'd like to have a Brass one that size though, but not too heavy. Haven't really found one though.
    There are some cool brass ones with the fretboard radius on them. But they are always "no stock" in small.

5. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    10 years ago I started using the Jetslide, and I've never looked back.

swivel likes this.
  6. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    As the apocryphal story goes, the first slide was a rusty railroad spike. Real Corricidan bottles have been impossible to find for decades. It's my understanding that the heavier, the better, regardless of material. Glass, ceramic, different metals all have their individual sound.

Runamok and stiv like this.
  7. swivel

swivel Gretschie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Runamok likes this.
  8. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    They still do Coricidin here in Italy for medication... ;)

Runamok likes this.
  9. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    There is a learning curve with the Jetslide, but it's not bad, and the ergonomics are well conceived. Took me about an hour to get used to it, and a week or two to really learn how to deploy it when needed. But then again, I'm an average slide player... Most of my slide work is done with a lap steel or resonator (horizontally) and a tone bar.

Runamok likes this.
  10. swivel

swivel Gretschie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Yeah, the Shubb I tried you had to rotate somehow, well .....you really need to use your other hand to rotate it... If I have to do that, I can just pick up a slide faster off my little mic stand holder.
    If we were a 2 guitarist band it wouldn't matter.

11. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I use a Dunlop think walled glass slide at gigs but I really love brass slides. I have two Dunlop standard brass slides, one I cut down shorter. They are great once you get some friction going they sound so smooth and almost feel like they are bitting at the strings like rosen on a bow

wildeman likes this.
  12. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I think that you can still find it here, but not in the cool glass bottles. Lots of things came in interesting glass containers---Alka Seltzer comes to mind---but antitampering safety and the plastic industry ended that.

13. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Pyrex makes slides. I need to get one. We kinda collect pyrex, new and vintage. Pyrex and La Creuset are to my kitchen what Gretsch and Nocturne are for my music room.

14. Runamok

Runamok Electromatic

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    I do the "Pyrex" Dunlop glass to good effect. Probably same as you. It may not literally be "Pyrex." But I have several & they vary slightly in I.D. The tightest ones are not a thing to use on a warm day, the get sweaty & restrictive. Drive me crazy.

Rather than my adapting to something I think is too sloppy a fit, I want something that only requires a slight knuckle bend to hold securely while playing with fingers & is just long enough to fit all strings w/o feeling like a top heavy club foot.

15. Runamok

Runamok Electromatic

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    Coricidin bottle, etc works if you like fit. But the idea is to make it easier & pleasanter. I've tried it a long time ago.

Finishing up an ancient bottle of Wild Cherry Marnier. Will have to see if there's a usable slide in the neck. I've seen Jimmy Thackery play slide with a beer bottle better than most play with a slide.

I can't even try the same w/o spilling beer.

I like the ceramic Rocky Mountain Slides I got from Doc. He sizes carefully.
    The sound fits OK with phos-bronze mediums, but loses the high end more than glass (caveat: to my ear).

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 6:00 AM
  16. Runamok

Runamok Electromatic

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    Good to know. Single gauge?
    Railroads here frown upon people stealing spikes!

stiv likes this.
  17. Runamok

Runamok Electromatic

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    Yeah. I've seen them, never tried. Mainly because few stores stock slides except junk. The corporate stores, anyway. They now make a slide with Hook & Catch whatever (Velcro is a trade name, not the material name. The material name sounds like British barristers or fish mongers). I am philosophically opposed to Velcro in guitar slides. It just sounds evil.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 5:58 AM
  18. Runamok

Runamok Electromatic

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    Can't beat the price there on the Dunlop glass.

19. Runamok

Runamok Electromatic

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    Like Prince's magic healing waters of Lake Minnetonka between the ski boat chop! I didn't know you Druids played guitar!

The raw sound, on electric may be fine. I like your 3 mentions as well. However, it gets tiresome if everything has a Son House overtone over the top. Sometime the ice chill of a really dead-on clean player is more incisive. Not high on my skillset, but it's about what one is trying to achieve in a particular song.

Martin Simpson knocks it out of the park, for one example back.

Seeing Tom Feldmann play recently, he's got a nice precise sound when he wants & his singing is impressing me more & more.

stiv likes this.
  20. Runamok

Runamok Electromatic

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    Fingers crossed?
    Sounds harder to achieve a tone, but I'll give anything a try.

The fellow above who has metalworker uncles must be stealing their copper water pipes. I'm going for 2 things, variety of sound, but the fit really matters to me. Never tried the Joe Perry slide, mainly b/c the size. I don't want to buy a ton of different slides to discard.

swivel likes this.