Guitar Log

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by mbkri, May 10, 2019.

1. mbkri

mbkri Synchromatic

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Over the last 5 years or so my memory has gotten worse and my guitar collection has gotten a lot better. I’ve been keeping a Guitar Log in an attempt to keep track of what strings went on what guitar when, and which bridge Ive tried where. How much i paid, what mods i have done. Issues that ive had to deal with etc.
    Anyone else do this?
    Any ideas how to do it better?
    There probably ought to be an ap for this.... if you are a programmer, you’re welcome.

Attached Files:

2. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

My log has been more about year or manufacture, serial number, weight, and description. I did it in case one of them got "lost." I like your thought on the strings, and the mods. I'll have to revise my log after I get moved next month.

sh4rkbyt3, audept and mbkri like this.
  3. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

For strings, I just put the old wrapper in the case with the date I changed them written on it. For the other notes if I take any, will probably put them in the cases too. Might help my heirs dispose of the collection in the event of an untimely death.

Sabato, Flouswa, dmunson and 5 others like this.
  4. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I’ve wanted to do this for the longest time. Closest I could find were inventory apps.
    Lots of work to make categories and basicly spell everything out. Also everything needs to have a tag function so I can compile lists of all guitars with say #.010 #nickel wound #strings.
    I guess it needs some sort of Excell spreadsheet functionality but who wants to use something un-sexy as that?

Sid Nitzerglobin and mbkri like this.
  5. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Good idea. Maybe just a spreadsheet program would be useful. But only if you like that kind of stuff.

sh4rkbyt3 and mbkri like this.
  6. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes, I do this too - I call it setup bulletin :rolleyes: :

[​IMG]

Sorry, no app... :(:D

It's pretty much complete. I use it to record, check, compare, follow the setup of my instruments. That said, you need some adequate tooling to go that far ;) :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A+!

7. mbkri

mbkri Synchromatic

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Wow! I love that setup bulletin @hcsterg but its a lot more technical than anything i could ever do. I like the idea of a printed chart template though, one dedicated to each guitar. Thanks for sharing

8. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Thanks mbkri ! Yes, I keep these documents in big binders (now there's two, with the approaching number of 15 guitars :eek:), sorted by instruments, along with some other paper sheets mentioning mods, notes and dates - exactly like what you record in your "log" book. I do the same with my personal amps and the ones I repair part-time too : schematics, mods, job done, tips, check-ups...

A+!

mbkri likes this.
  9. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I really never thought of doing something like that.
    What I do is taking a photo of amp and effects settings when I stumble over a sound that works.

10. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    That's a great idea you have . What I do with string change is throw the empty package of strings in the compartment of the case . I write the date of the change on the package with a sharpie marker . But thats about all I do . Thanks for the thoughts :)

JC higgy, mbkri and T Bone like this.
  11. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    What I do is notice a guitar sounds dead when I pick it up and then replace the strings :)

12. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

My exact system.

dmunson and thunder58 like this.
  13. mbkri

mbkri Synchromatic

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Ha! Yes. Thats still the main reason for me to change them.
    I dont use the log to schedule string changes but to record them and any other adjustments or notes. I also record which guitar was used recording which song, or (when i rarely play out) for which gig. You make guitars, right? Im guessing its like recording what you did on this one or that one so you can keep track of what work youve done, what pots and wiring you used etc.
    I use my ears to judge whats working, i use my log to record what i did and when.

section2 likes this.
  14. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    I never realized how good some guitars have it. Mine hang out with the kids and dog and get whatever leftover scraps I feed them. They get a set-up every time I wear divots in the frets about halfway down.
    If they buzz they get moved to the back of the line and get no attention from anyone.
    They usually straighten out after a few months.

section2 and mbkri like this.
  15. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Electromatic

Apr 28, 2019
    Metro Detroit
    I keep an Excel spreadsheet to document all the gear I own. It includes when I bought it, how much I paid, and a few other things. I started keeping it just so there would be some record of what I have when I eventually kick the bucket (hopefully of a heart attack at the age of 111 or so). But for my acoustics I keep string info or some other relevant data. For my electrics I use the same strings on everything (10-46), but I use different tunings for my acoustics and the strings I use are pretty variable. I generally remember what goes with what, but it's nice to have it documented in some way.

sh4rkbyt3 and mbkri like this.
  16. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Synchromatic

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    We keep a log of serial number, set up adjustments, string type and gauge, and actually have an extra set of strings in the case, so if one breaks, we have backups.
    As far as money we paid, sometimes it is too painful when we lose, and great news if we gain. We just feel that the sometimes you win, however, more times you lose, so why keep reminding yourself. From my experience, when we have lost one due to theft, and there have been several, the "replacement value" is closer to wholesale, or trade in value. Can you replace a good player, good looker, with the "recognized coverage" typically not, so it has been a double downer in those situations, so why make it worse. It seems that what we paid is irrelevant to the adjuster, there are more than a litany of reasons why they won't pay real value. If anyone has had a positive experience in these situations, I would appreciate the advice.

mbkri and lp_bruce like this.
  17. Scooter127

Scooter127 Gretschie

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    If I were to track such things I'd use an Excel spreadsheet. Or whatever Open Office's equivalent is (Open Office is free)

mbkri likes this.
  18. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Jez,i'm not that organized !:oops:

Dated empty string pack in case pocket for me.

I do record any new acquisitions on paper with s/n noted,but i don't record what i paid or anything like that.

T Bone and mbkri like this.
  19. mbkri

mbkri Synchromatic

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    I am aware that some might consider me a bit of an anorak.
    Thats not going to mean much to people over here in the USA but back home in The UK its a nice, though slightly patronising term for someone who is a bit obsessive about a very niche area of interest. Initially coined as a phrase referring to trainspotters who stood out in the wind and rain in their anorak coats to record the numbers on passing trains.

20. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    Australia
    I don't keep many guitars and know each one intimately.

I set them up, keep fret boards in good shape, change strings as soon as I detect the 6th going dull ( always the first to go for me ) and;

I Play Them - and record nothing.;)

mrfixitmi and mbkri like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice