Guitar for Delta Blues

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by NWBriggs, Sep 16, 2019.

1. NWBriggs

NWBriggs Electromatic

Aug 23, 2019
    Montague, MI
    I am wondering if anyone on the site plays much delta blues and what guitar they use.

I have wanted a Rainsong Parlor guitar for years. I know it’s a very unconventional choice, but I love the idea

2. KuKuKu

KuKuKu Gretschie

Aug 28, 2016
    Germany
    I don't play Delta Blues, but I'd say either a parlor or a resonator guitar.

Ricochet likes this.
  3. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I use this... And not just for bottleneck work. It's a roundneck, not a squareneck.

[​IMG]

Andrew Griffin likes this.
  4. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I do, with all the limits due to a poor guitar technique. :)
    When I started learning I thought that you could play it with only a certain type of guitars, nowadays (after 8 years) I could use any of my gits to play delta blues, SG Special included.
    Btw my main guitar for it is a 1931 Bruno Regal, equipped with a ‘60s De Armond hole pickup. This old lady has a beautiful Delta tone (a bit harsh, a lot acoustic even plugged in an amp) and really cut in the mix while played. If I need to go fully electric I usually play a 3 P90s The Loar (the poor man’s ES125T) with thin body. She screams and has the right bass frequencies. For acoustic sound only I have a Recording King Triple 0 with slotted headstock. It’s a pretty cheap guitar (same Chinese manufacturer as The Loar) but it does his job for my needs. I’ve changed a lot my references in the years, starting with Elmore James, falling in love with Son House, trying desperately to learn Blind Willy Johnson alternate bass style on Vestapol tuning (or D Tuning), ending with early John Lee Hooker’s primitive boogie which is what I’d like to play today (mainly because I could use my Gretsch Rally for it ;)). Still learning though. It never stops.

5. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    Look at what the Delta Blues guys played - the sky is the limit since they played so many different styles of Delta Blues. Muddy's Telecaster sounded a lot different than Robert Johnson's acoustic which sounded a lot different from Howlin' Wolf's Strat/Acoustic/335's/whatever he felt like paying that day.

Since you mentioned Rainsong's Parlor I'm gonna guess you want something acoustic.

If i can find my high school yearbook I'' take a pic of Muddy playing my high school auditorium in Westmont, IL lol.

6. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    20190916_163826.jpg

wildeman likes this.
  7. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    That got me to search resonators again and I found this Amazon gem:

upload_2019-9-16_16-52-56.png

8. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    If you go up to the Delta you will see a lot of washburn guitars. Most have a 16 in. FB radius and maple neck and body. I never have ask why they like them. My guess is sound and cost are two factors.

9. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Old Stella or Harmony acoustic, strings must be at least 3/8" off the frets........ :eek:

10. Rock Lajoint

Rock Lajoint Gretschie

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    Not sure what this guitar is...

NJDevil likes this.
  11. it doesn't matter what guitar you use. "Delta" Blues can be played on any guitar. if you want to purchase a Rainsong, get one. however, Composite Acoustic makes excellent guitars also.

NJDevil and Ricochet like this.
  12. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I play that stuff, kinda fanatical about it and have been for lots of years. I just got within the last year, a Regal parlor for 60 bux that does great for Charlie Patton, Son House kinda things. I have an old National but my brand new Republic does just fine too. A little Harmony Stella should be very easy to find for around 100 bux and is quite satisfying if its playable. The sound of pre war Delta blues is ladder braced parlor guitars and metal body National's with few exceptions.

13. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Why that's a "Pawnshop Special" of course... this particular one looks like an early 60's Japanese Kent.

Rock Lajoint and wabash slim like this.
  14. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Delta Blues probably started off with cigar box guitars.

stiv likes this.
  15. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    These all together represent a cash outlay of around $250.00 and are about as Delta as you can get (in the right hands) L to R, 30s Regal parlor, 4 string cigar box with a Victory pickup and '62 Silvertone. 20190921_155948.jpg

JCW513 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice