Guitar.com : Filtertron Shootout : Gretsch, House Of Tone, TV Jones, McNelly and more

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by ZackyDog, May 25, 2020.

1. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
  2. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I guess the word shootout in the title triggered the Awaiting moderation before being displayed publicly message?

3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    .... that my friend is a company secret ;)

4. BohemianLikeMe

BohemianLikeMe Gretschie

Apr 18, 2020
    Prague, CZ
    Super intrigued by the Ray Butts Filters, so it's nice to see a comprehensive shoot out on them v. others. Also, I had no idea there were so many boutique filtertron winders in the UK!

sanhozay and ZackyDog like this.
  5. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Check the list of Filtertron makers in my signature if you haven’t. ;)

BohemianLikeMe likes this.
  6. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    I dunno ZD. I had one moderated a couple of days ago in the thread about haircuts. The only thing in it was the word "cut" twice, and the word "cutting" once.

ZackyDog and thunder58 like this.
  7. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    The mods don’t control the words that trigger moderation. In many cases, I can’t think of a reason some posts are moderated, but I approve them as quickly as possible. I will state that the moderation queue ended the Chinese language spam posts instantly. We literally had one attempt after turning on the feature, and peace ever since.

new6659, audept, thunder58 and 3 others like this.
  8. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    @Synchro

If the occasional wait to have a post appear is the price for getting rid of the annoying Chinese-language spam, then I'd say "Well worth it." But that is from my perspective as a member of the forum.

Your mileage, as a moderator whose (volunteer) workload is increased by it, may vary.

ZackyDog and thunder58 like this.
  9. lordhelmet

lordhelmet Electromatic

Apr 5, 2020
    Germany
  10. capnhiho

capnhiho Gretschie

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Thanks for sharing those articles, guys!
    Great stuff!!

ZackyDog likes this.
  11. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    The Setzer Signatures and the Butts set would be interesting to try. One thing I wasn’t clear about, in the article, was whether the Setzer set was custom wound with a hotter bridge pickup, or not. I’ve owned a number of Classic + pickups and they are sort of the logical extreme of the Filtertron, with enough punch to let your amp know that they are present, but not as prone to overdrive as a Powertron.

One thing is for sure, there are a lot of choices in this market. I’ve dealt with TV Jones, both the company and the man himself, and they are great folks. They stand behind their products and are absolutely professional.

While they were not mentioned in the article, the Supertron family are worthy of consideration. Basically, they are a Filtertron with a bar across instead of pole piece screws, so it results in a slightly higher output without being overwhelming. The Supertron/DuoTron sub family ended up as my destination pickup for the Gretsch family.

Waxhead, audept and sanhozay like this.
  12. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Well said my friend . I also try and approve quickly also

audept, ZackyDog and MTurner like this.
  13. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Gretschie

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    I took it to mean the Setzer Sig bridge is hotter than the neck, which is the way they come stock.

Also, I tried to get TV Jones to custom wind a Setzer Sig “plus” bridge for me once and they said they contractually couldn’t change the specs.

On a similar note, sticking the poles from a Setzer Sig into a Ray Butts produces a really nice sound.

14. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Surprisingly, there are more complaints about the Moderation queue than anything else we’ve ever done. If the average forum user dislikes it, believe me, from the perspective of a moderator, it’s infinitely worse. It’s necessitated by the fact that some people abuse the Internet to force worthless advertising upon us and all but destroying our forums in the process.

audept and MTurner like this.
  15. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Thanks for clarifying that. It sounds like a great pickup set.

16. sanhozay

sanhozay Electromatic

Mar 17, 2014
    usa
    someone wise told me, "when you find something you love, you stick with it". over ten years ago i fell in love with the wonderful tv jones classics :)

tremelo68, Groutsch and ZackyDog like this.
  17. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    OK; got it. I/we appreciate that.

18. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    Kind of a coincidence as my brother phoned me a week ago and asked me to do a video shootout between vintage filtertrons, supertrons and TV Jones classics, save I should record the audio in the studio not with a mobile phone.

It's a great resource that the magazine has done this and worth it just to have a list of who's doing filters these days. I hate to be a grandstander, but: (1) I don't think Eddie Cochran ever played a filtertron Gretsch, at least as far as I know. Not a big deal at all but if I'm right the first 5 words of the article have an error; and (2) the PAF vintage filtertrons and maybe into the early pat number ones had longer screws. So there is a difference. Whether that difference matters is of course fair debate, but the best Gretsch I've ever heard with filters, a 59 6120, had the long screws. So did my other favorites, like my 1960 Tennessean.

RomanS and JC higgy like this.
  19. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Cheers Zacky and lordhelmet!

Aye,Eddie never played a Filter model,in public anyway..

ZackyDog likes this.
  20. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, sanhozay!
    welcome mat 111.jpg

sanhozay likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice