Guitar Center is an “essential” business

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Jelly Roll Horton, Mar 25, 2020 at 11:28 PM.

1. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    At least GC is making the argument they are essential. I don’t know who gets to decide, though:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/25/...tion=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

2. phil66

phil66 Gretschie

Dec 5, 2019
    Indiana
    they are to me. Now if only I had the money to go there.

3. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I guess that essential is in the eye of the beholder. I can see some fairly mundane things as essential. The farm store in town is essential to a lot of people. Same with the hardware store. Michael’s is staying open, in part because they provide items which make it a lot easier for parents trying to provide useful activities while their children are at home.

As I understand it, there are no formal guidelines. Elsewhere on the forum, someone wondered if this might finish off GC. No telling. They do have a lot of debt.

Groutsch likes this.
  4. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    The one by me closed, to me essential businesses are emergency/municipal service,medical , supermarkets, pharmaceutical stores. Im sure there are others but most retail is non essential

new6659 and Waxhead like this.
  5. Cassotto

Cassotto Gretschie

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    No matter how much we like it, it's not essential. This is nothing to joke about.

6. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    Our local 'Dollarama' has been designated as essential??

7. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Here in Savannah the very first ‘essential’ business on the list is ‘liquor stores’...maybe our new Mayor is on the ball?

If what I read is true, those of us who have been laid-off or furloughed because of this crisis may find they have some expendable income.

At the maximum, the relief bill may include $1200 per adult +$500 per child.

In addition to your State’s usual unemployment compensation you would receive an additional $600 per week.

For many people this represents a raise.

And a guitar player’s gonna do what a guitar player’s gonna do...

Essential, no. I think they should be able to keep their online business going but I can’t see being open to the public at this time.

benjwri likes this.
  8. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Further into the article ...

"... little choice but to keep operating. Guitar Center and Joann, for example, had relatively high levels of debt heading into the health crisis, credit analysts say. Closing for the next few months, while burning through cash to make debt payments, could be especially painful. But each company is taking a different approach. Guitar Center has closed 75 percent of its stores..."

That's a pretty fair chunk of their empire. My guess would be the closures are mostly at their "Level B" suburban stores. The big "anchor stores" are probably still open.

I got no particular beef with GC. I just haven't much needed what they sell recently and prefer to support the local shops where I can.

Jelly Roll Horton likes this.
  9. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    That’s a bunch of crock and they’re opening for self interest. All at the risk of both their employees and customers families.

new6659, JC higgy, Waxhead and 3 others like this.
  10. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    IBTL?

Oh yeah, we aren’t on TDPRI....

dak55 likes this.
  11. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    My wife works in the office of a large Chevy/BMW dealership. The salesmen in new/used/BMW cars are working from home, or basically laid off, but the office and shops are deemed "Essential". Dealing in trucks of all sizes, I guess I can understand, as well as doing repairs of all vehicles. Working is optional, and quite a few have decided to shelter in home (governor's orders). For those still working, hours are limited. The owners' have started a food pantry for employees in need. Class act in every way.

Most of the Big 3 dealers are operating the same way. Unfortunately, the guy that owns the great majority of the dealerships (basically all of the import makers) has shut down, and FIRED all of his employees and told them to use their 401Ks to live on. He generously said that they can reapply for their jobs after the crisis. He also has many other dealerships in Chicago and other places. OI can only imagine the debt load (and karma) he's carrying. The guy is a real piece of work, known for firing employees on Christmas Eve---I wish I was joking. Many folks in town refuse to but from him. He's the type that makes his own horrid TV commercials. Any charity he gets involved in just becomes an advertisement.

To illustrate just how bad things are nationally, 450+ Waffle Houses have closed. I just hope the truck stops are open for the guys hauling our food and toilet paper around the country.

new6659 and DennisC like this.
  12. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I’m not surprised with the number of Waffle Houses. If this is prolonged it’ll be bigger than the 07 Recession. I’ve read it could become a sort of Depression. Which I believe the way out of it would be huge amounts of debt taken by governments or people to reignite the economy, or possibly an eventual w__ if it lasts a decade. Hold on for the ride and hope that vaccine comes quick.

13. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    Where I live, just about everything has been closed, including music stores.

When asked why liquor stores were allowed to open, our health officials said that, quite frankly, there are a lot of people that have problems with alcohol and that shutting off the supply would cause problems at our health centres.

Stay safe. Our health officials say to act as if you have the virus if you go out.

benjwri and new6659 like this.
  14. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    "Essential" here, is used more in the context of a legal term for certain business to justify normal operations. Not necessarily the way consumers may view it in these interesting times. Everyone is just trying to survive right now. Take care out there!

15. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Here in the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts I'm surprised that they decreed the recreational pot shops "non-essential". I don't partake ( had a lifetime's worth in college). I see people out and about wearing masks. That would be effective for someone who is infected, preventing droplets on surface from coughing etc., but for those not infected, it won't do anything at all (like the pills that Mother gives you...)

16. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    No rhyme nor reason from any quarter. Politicians are at odds with highly educated doctors, TV preachers know better than everyone and can sell you silver solution to cure what ails ya. Some want to use 60 as the cutoff age for medical help; the economy is more important than a cure. Some folks are panic shopping, others believe it's all a hoax. Nursing homes and cruise ships seem to be breeding grounds, but the beaches in Florida are OK if you're a college student. The one that's supposed to be guiding us is more confused than most.

We're in far more trouble than we know.

new6659, Sabato and LongJohn like this.
  17. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    It sort of depends on where you happen to be. I live in a rural area, so do a lot of people. When things started shutting down, the first place I checked was the local farm supply store. I am the water utility for my home and four others. If something happens to the well, I need to be able to act.

Even in the city, plumbing and electrical supply businesses are essential. My Graybar rep told me that they were involved in some generator projects which were frontline to the COVID 19 effort.

Many modern buildings have to be air conditioned, even in cool weather. HVAC, and all it depends upon are essential services and in Arizona that is even more true. I’ve had the experience of working in a building that was at 122F because the A/C failed. The entire network shut down because such gear is only rated to 104 degrees.

So the chain of essential businesses stretches a lot farther than it would appear at the surface. When there’s a storm and a long lasting power outage, the guys out working all night to restore power need gas and food, so convenience stores become necessity stores.

I’m teleworking so, at the moment, both my Internet connection and my mobile phone are essential services. My work serves the medical community directly and is frontline in the COVID 19 effort. If my Internet went down, getting to the office would be absolutely essential to providing continuity of service to our clients, all of whom are clinics, hospitable and labs.

While restaurant dining rooms are closed, takeout food from restaurants is pretty important for people that are working long hours. It’s not so simple as everyone goes home and stays home. I’m working 10-12 hours a day, right now. Last night, there was a cable cut in Asia which affected my work in Tucson. My point is that workers for a Telecom company in Asia became essential to medical services in the US, Great Britain and Australia.

I hope that truly non-essential businesses will step aside, but I’m thankful that I’m able to get the things I need in order to do my job.

18. Jelly Roll Horton

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    You folks in Spain are really taking a hit. Please be careful and follow the protocols!

Cassotto and 5120mantis like this.
  19. Jelly Roll Horton

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I like your parenthetical quote. I have taken the last week to learn the great guitar opening on that song.

Sabato likes this.
  20. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Maybe it’s essential for GC to be open, but it’s not an essential business.
    I also think you can’t make decisions about essential businesses without further explanation what essential businesses actually are.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice