Guitar buying Dilemma, need your input - Update, mystery solved, and a curve ball

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by RocknRollShakeUp, Apr 16, 2019.

1. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Gretschie

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    So, I found this used Gretsch Custom Shop Stephen Stern Duo Jet online that I really dig, and the sound clip sounds fantastic. There is one problem, I think. The guitar is signed "To Randy" "Fred Gretsch" and with what looks like Stephen Stern's signature. The problem is, my name is nothing close to Randy! The guitar is pretty heavily discounted, and I think the personalized signature is the reason why.

I'm in a bit of a quandry. Great price for what seems to be a dream Duo Jet...but whothehell is Randy!? Randy, are you here lurking!?

It looks like it is written with a marker of some sort. Can this be removed with a safe product of some sort? I think it may bug me to see it there, or maybe not!?

What would you groovy cats do?

r0de0 likes this.
  2. mschafft

mschafft Gretschie

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
  3. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    If it's a good price, I'd go for it.
    Where is that signature? Is it visible for the audience?
    You might create a story around it, like it used to be Randy Bachamnn's and he gave it to you... ;)

new6659, RocknRollShakeUp and hcsterg like this.
  4. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    You need to replace "found this" with "bought this"

5. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Marker scribbles can be removed.

Seriously, get it if it speaks to you. Check with Gretsch who this Randy is, then decide if you want to remove.

RocknRollShakeUp and hcsterg like this.
  6. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes, Alcohol removes it - supposing the guitar is polyurethane finished : absolutely no danger.

A+!

RocknRollShakeUp likes this.
  7. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Sorry , I just don't understand things sometimes ..... go ahead ..call me old fashioned . But there's a device out there ...still being used today but not often called a " Telephone " .
    Why don't you call the seller and ask who " Randy " is . Exchange phone numbers ...Why such a low price ? Question the seller , it's your money . Maybe by hearing the sellers voice you may think it's a shady deal to begin with . The deal may or may not be for you . And sometimes a " deal " that's to good to be true ....usually isn't . I have an I-Phone and there's a great feature called " block this number " if it's not right for you .
    My apologies regarding this rant , but sometimes I just don't get it . So go ahead and exchange phone numbers and question this ( thanks for listening my friend ) :)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  8. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Good advice, Rich!

RocknRollShakeUp and thunder58 like this.
  9. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    But if its lacquer, no way!!! Be careful with alcohol.

10. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Thanks audept

RocknRollShakeUp and audept like this.
  11. Sabato

Sabato Gretschie

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Enough alcohol would also make you care less about it. You could always change your name to "Randy"....

5120mantis and RocknRollShakeUp like this.
  12. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Yeah, I would be willing to explore it further with the seller, and then maybe a call to Gretsch. If you can get the serial number from the seller, Gretsch might be able to tell you if this was a guitar made for someone special.

13. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Great comments fellas, thanks!

The seller is a guitar store and I contacted them prior to posting here, fairly late last night, and I am waiting for a response. I also contacted Wildwood because lo and behold I found an old wildwood demo of this exact guitar! the Serial numbers match up, not to mention a few key relic blemishes. I was able to get the serial # by blowing up a picture of the case candy stuff that the current seller has posted.
    Still waiting for comments from both sources. I’ll call the store if they don’t email me back.
    Great thoughts about contacting Gretsch!
    Here is a picture of the Great Randy
    [​IMG]
    I also found a pic of another guitar with a “To Dick” “Fred Gretsch” so I guess it does happen, check this out:
    http://gretschpages.com/forum/modern-gretsch-guitars/good-price-for-signed-6121/60685/page1/

MKunie and thunder58 like this.
  14. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Excellent . You just may have something there . Best of luck with the search and sale

15. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    ..... oh , and pics if you get it ;)

16. r0de0

r0de0 Electromatic

Jul 7, 2011
    Collingwood, ON Canada
    Best change your name to Randy and buy this guitar. heh. Or just remove the 'andy" part and keep the R for RocknRollShakeUp

17. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Thanks! At this point it is more likely a detractor I think from a resale point of view, but I would buy it to keep it if I like it. Too bad I can’t play it first. I’m leaning maybe buying it, we’ll see!

thunder58 likes this.
  18. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    For sure!

thunder58 likes this.
  19. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Lol I love it, white out!

r0de0 likes this.
  20. Merc

Merc Synchromatic

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    It would be cool if you could gently remove the To Randy part and leave the Fred Gretsch sig. But due to the relic finish I’m thinking it’s a thin nitro and not poly. Not sure if you could do it without damaging the nitro. Then again, if it’s already made to look worn, it might just blend right in with the rest of the guitar if it does a little damage.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice