Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Guild m-75 vs Kay k161 or Eastwood Tuxedo?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Lektriz, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Lektriz

Lektriz Electromatic

Jul 28, 2017
    Jakobstad
    Can't deceide between these guitars. Despite both the m-75 and tuxedo are made in Korea, but the guilds quality gets better reviews.

The Kay reissue is made in China but aparently not as much humm as the Tuxedo.

Guild would probably be the safe choice but has the least apealling tone of the three.

Can get a good deal on the Kay but some say the neck is huge!

Help me deceide!

2. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Maybe you could tell us what music you like to play, and that could help us narrow things down. I will say that since you said the Guild has the least appealing tone, I would set that one aside right away. It's obviously not something that sounds really good to your ears, or it just doesn't fit when what you like to play.

3. Bakerstreet

Bakerstreet Electromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    Midwest USA
    I've played the Kay reissues and Eastwoods, and I've owned the newer Guilds...the Guilds are MUCH better instruments. No brainer as far as I'm concerned.

4. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    If you can‘t decide, we‘ll do it for you. Post pics of all three, we‘ll let you know which one‘s the coolest.
    I‘d go for the Kay. The Guild is a nice guitar, but lacks a bit of character in my eyes. Eastwoods generally are quite affordable, aren‘t they? That would be my second choice.

5. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Guild>Eastwood>Kay. YMMV.

6. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    How can one find the tone of the fantastic Guild less appealing???

7. Lektriz

Lektriz Electromatic

Jul 28, 2017
    Jakobstad
    Well I mostly make instrumental rock in my home studio, from surf to krautrock and everything inbetween.

The thing about the tuxedo and the kay that grabbed my attention was the TONE! I've never heard a guitar sound like that.

My other two guitars, danelctro dead on 67 and electromatic Bo Diddley also have pretty distinctive tones.

The uppside for the kay 161 reissue is less hum and the low price.

The airline tuxedo appears to have a slimmer neck which would suit me better but is more expensive and has noiser pickups.

They are both guite similiar in tone IMHO.

Don't get me wrong Stefan I like the tone of the M-75, otherwise I would not even consider it. But most of the demos I've seen have been jazz "noodling" or overdriven solos. Would be great to hear what that guitar sounds like with some slapback or surf reverb through a cleanish tube amp just on the verge of braking up.

I have no option to try before buying so I rely apreciate you guys taking time to help out.

kay-k-161-thin-twin-reissue-1070801.jpg

eastwood-airline-tux-deluxe-electric-guitar-natural.jpg

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    LivingMyDream and BorderRadio like this.
  8. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I LOVE Jimmy Reed Kay's, never seen a reissue in person but the '54 i had was a baseball bat neck.

BorderRadio likes this.
  9. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Find an old Pro Jet, it will have the same mini buckers you like in your Bo.

10. Lektriz

Lektriz Electromatic

Jul 28, 2017
    Jakobstad
    I just emailed Tony Blair from Kay guitars and he describes the reissue necks as being:

"The neck is reminiscent of the '60s thinner profile Les Paul necks. Not baseball bat at all."

Bakerstreet how would you describe the Kay reissue necks?

11. RomanS

RomanS Gretschie

May 26, 2010
    Vienna, Austria
    If you like tiny necks, the Guild might be the one for you - I was all set on getting an M75 - love the look, very affordable - until I picked one up at a store: it had one of the slimmest necks I ever tried, outside of Ibanez shredders; didn't even plug in, as I love fat and wide necks...

12. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany

Franz pkups FTW! I reall dig 'em soooo much...

Oldfingers likes this.