Ground Hum ??

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by PrimitiveWood, Oct 16, 2014.

1. PrimitiveWood

PrimitiveWood Electromatic

Oct 16, 2014
    Pennsyltucky
    Hi, I am new here, but not new to forums--
    I did a search looking for any threads relating to a hum issue I'm having.
    Nothing popped up the way I searched, so I'm trying a new thread.....

I have two different Electromatic Gretsch's--

a Stump-o-matic and a hollow body--
    Both were purchased new.

issue is the same on both guitars.

I tried Different amps, (4 solid state, 4 tube) different outlets, (One was a 20 amp dedicated circuit) different buildings, (buildings where I take lessons), different cables, different power chords, different people playing.

A loud hum that goes away when you touch metal on the guitars(s), strings as well. Turning down the treble also diminishes it.

The condition does not arise with the Strat, and Les Paul friends have, or any acoustics plugged into the same equipment in the same room.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance-
    Like any other--
    Primitive Wood

2. Perry Bryant

Perry Bryant Synchromatic

Jan 12, 2012
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Sounds like the electronics in the guitars are not grounded good. There will be others who chime in, I'm sure. Welcome to the forum.

3. DW_Dillinger

DW_Dillinger Country Gent

Is definitely check all of the ground connections (especially the one that connects to the tailpiece).

Also, hollow bodies are more susceptible to 60 cycle hum than solid-bodies because the control cavity is not shielded. Can't speak for the stump though.

4. drrohle

drrohle Synchromatic

Jan 3, 2014
    Hays, KS
    Ditto's on the tailpiece ground. My G5120 just had it's ground wire shoved in between the tailpiece and body, no star washer or anything.

5. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    All of the above with ground issues . But did you try plugging your amp in a different recepticle in the house ? Or is there any flouresent lighting nearby or on the same circuit as the recepticle ?

6. nadles

nadles Country Gent

Sounds like a tailpiece/bridge ground issue.

7. PrimitiveWood

PrimitiveWood Electromatic

Oct 16, 2014
    Pennsyltucky
    Hi folks,
    Been a while since I got this reply back from the folks at Gretsch--I asked them pretty much verbatim what I posted here.

If their response is correct why is it SO much more prevalent on the Gretsch's than the other guitars?

But I thought those of you that responded might be interested to know what they said.

"The issue you described will be present on all electric guitars to some degree. You ARE the ground when playing an electric guitar. The metal parts are all connected so when you touch any metal component any noise will diminish. It will indeed happen with Strats and LP’s although less on some humbuckers of course. If the noise did not diminish (the opposite scenario) then that would indicate an issue. You can feel free to consult with any guitar technician on the field and they will confirm this as well.

The idea here is you should very rarely have a guitar plugged in, volume up and not touch any metal part. This way the guitar is grounded as you are holding the guitar."

8. Billy McPherson

Billy McPherson Electromatic

Feb 18, 2014
    Acme,Alberta
    I had a hum on my G5120, especially when I touch my laptop. Day before yesterday I changed my strings and the hum is 99% gone. I can't remember what the strings were I took off but I put on a set of D'Addario XL Chrome ECG23 warm/mellow tone flat wound extra light gauge 10/48's. In my mind best $12.00 I ever spent. Good luck, Billy