Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Gretschy pickups without breaking the bank?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by mschafft, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I must have got lucky with my TArmonds. I used the stock Dyna risers and one of the compression rubbers, and it seems to be just right. Love my TAs!

emitex likes this.
  2. Byron

Byron Gretschie

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    I put two T armonds in a 5129 and it went well. But putting filtertron sizes versions into a jet has been a PITA. Still trying to get that sorted and it's at the repair shop. Stupid messin with foam

3. Dennison

Dennison Country Gent

Jul 17, 2011
    Kent, UK
    These pickups are standard humbucker-size Retro Rockers from Warman. In the UK they cost less than £35 — for a pair. Obviously they are meant to ape the Gretsch look. I built up this pickguard just to try something different in my main gigging Strat and it worked out pretty well. They are humbuckers (as are Filtertrons, of course) but have a clearer, lighter sound than a typical Gibson-type PAF. The magnets are alnico V and they each have four connector wires so you can coil split them if you wish (I haven't).

In an arch top semi I think they'd probably sound even better than in a Strat — in fact if I buy a Streamliner they'll go straight in, and the Strat can go back to what it was before.

STRAT HH - 1.JPG

4. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    Blacktops. $80 on eBay with rings & buy 3 ring risers from tv Jones. Pretty easy fit in a humbucker hole with just a teeny bit of fussing.
    My 5120 sounds like a Gretsch now. Great pickups.
    ACBBB34C-5448-4812-BD7D-5DFF066B0BBC.jpeg

BorderRadio and emitex like this.
  5. peterjcb

peterjcb Gretschie

Nov 28, 2017
    USA
    tone is all in your hands....
    that being said, if you are looking for some inexpensive PUPS I'd say either the BT Filtertrons or Surf 90's would be an excellent choice to start.
    Also remember that replacing the bridge / saddle makes a difference. I replaced the standard bridge on my 5102 with just a basic aluminum bridge from ebay that cost me $16....it made a noticeable difference.