Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Gretschy pickups without breaking the bank?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by mschafft, Feb 9, 2017.

1. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Pretty sure the BT's mount to the ring like a std bucker so if they come with the rings i think they will drop in.

2. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Not all of them, the BTs I used for my double jet project were NE style mount (screwed through the pickups).

3. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    The Whole GFS RetroTron series is great. The Liverpool and Memphis hum buckers are very nice.

CaliforniaSlim likes this.
  4. TW4990

TW4990 Gretschie

Aug 20, 2016
    Sydney Australia
    I don't think the Broadtrons were ever meant to sound like a Filtertron, they are a bit more high gain oriented, maybe halfway between a Paf and a filtertron. Just my opinion.

5. RatFink

RatFink Electromatic

May 10, 2009
    USA
    I have a set of Hot Rod Filters that I would sell. They were in the Setzer Hot Rod models that didn't have TV Jones installed.
    I like them much better than the HS Filters, but not as much as the TV Classics.

6. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Yep; that is what the creator said his intent was (though his name escapes me).

@Waxhead

7. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    If they are not TV jones and not HS filters, what are they? I don't think there are special filters for the hot rod but I could be wrong. Perhaps earlier version ceramic HS filtertrons?

8. ampe

ampe Country Gent

May 11, 2011
    belgium
    +2!
    That's what i went with, great sounding pickups!

9. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    They were specially developed for the early Hotrods. Possibly with the help of TVJ.
    Basicly they were a slightly hotter wound HS Filtertrons. Around 5-6K, calibrated for position, and Alnico 5.
    Bit more mids, less twang, but so subtle they stopped bothering pretty quick.

Henry likes this.
  10. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yes agree but are the Broadtrons filtertrons at all in design or just standard humbuckers ??

11. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Standard humbucker size, voiced differently for the Streamliners.

Waxhead likes this.
  12. jklotz

jklotz Gretschie

Mar 24, 2013
    Atlanta
    I just got back from rehearsal with the band, and took my guitar with the GFS surf 90's.

I started out thinking they were good pickups for the money. Now I think they are really good pickups then happen to be cheap. They sounded killer tonight!

13. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Electromatic

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    I recommend surf 90's all day long. I have them in a few of my guitars. They're the same size as the broadtron so it's an easy drop in. Really nice dynasonic sound for only 35 bucks per pickup

mschafft likes this.
  14. mschafft

mschafft Gretschie

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    Thanks guys. Are the GFS surf 90 humbuckers or single-coil pickups?

15. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Single coil

mschafft likes this.
  16. mschafft

mschafft Gretschie

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    Thanks. That'd be a nice pretext for getting another G2420T ;-)

17. JohnHuff

JohnHuff Electromatic

May 15, 2018
    UK
    I've fitted TV Jones Classic Filtertrons - a little pricey but what a sound!

Trash Kidd likes this.
  18. TNO1

TNO1 Electromatic

Apr 17, 2018
    North Carolina
    I messed around with the Broadtrons quite a bit but couldn't get what I was looking for. Had a neck Surf 90 and stuck that in. A lot warmer than a true Dyna but still a huge step in the right direction. Ordered a bridge Surf 90 and then remembered I had a set of Dragonfire H90s so I figured I'd give them a chance while I was waiting for the Surf 90 to arrive.

The H90s are really cool. Sort of like a bigger-sounding HiLo. More clarity in the neck position than the Surf 90. They have a slightly edgy quality than is very welcome in a big hollow box. The bridge position is lower output than the neck but it still sounds great with overdrive (in a very Neil Young kind of way). Wax potted and hum cancelling in the middle position. Pretty much the same pickup as the Dream 90s but half the price- $29 a pair with free shipping. Plus they ship way faster than GFS.
    These pickups are doing everything I want so the plan for now is to save the Surfs for a solidbody build.

19. Byron

Byron Gretschie

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    I like my gfs surf 90s but to be honest, they don't sound like dynasonics really. They're brighter, more twang and with lower midrange frequencies. Certainly have a sound, can need treble turning down on amp if they get too much with ODrive

20. Byron

Byron Gretschie

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    But they're way easier to install and have height adjustment screws which make life simpler. I'm too old for playing with bits of kiddy foam to adjust the height. Rather spend the time playing.