Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Gretschbucker "clarity" Adjustment

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by megabutter, May 13, 2011.

1. BradyM40

BradyM40 Electromatic

Oct 17, 2014
    Lookout Mtn.
    I hate being this slow but could someone post exactly which poles need to be adjusted up keeping in mind a simpleton newb gets a little confused with some of the terminology? High side, low side, etc, are confusing my inexperinced, OCD having brain just enough to scare me out of giving it a shot. I'll get a handle on the terminology at some point but till then I would feel way better if someone could simplify it for me. Apologies for asking for what is probably here but just isn't sinking in well enough for me to be feel like I understand well enough to pick up the screwdriver. Thanks and feel free to point out how you wonder how such a tard managed to sign in to the site! Im more than used to it.... :):confused:

2. Joey L

Joey L Gretschie

Jun 24, 2016
    White Plains, NY
    I have a 2016 5420 with TV Classics I installed. Even TVs need to be carefully adjusted ( pick up height and pole pieces)
    To obtain full clear and balanced tone. I spoke with Sean Jones from TV Jones, who e- mailed me recommended pole piece heights which I followed and tweaked a bit , as he suggested , for balance volume balance between strings. Now I’ve got great clear, rich tones with great snap and note separation when playing chords. But boy, those pole pieces are sensitive to the slightest turn.
    My point is that pole piece adjustment is critical on any pick up to obtain desired tones and the most out of your pick ups.

3. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

Dec 2, 2016
    Washougal
    Hey Brady, I've had some success with this method. It's definitely got much more clarity than the stock Gretschbucker pole heights.
    When looking at your guitar, on its stand, L=low, H=high:
    Neck:
    L L L H H H
    H H H L L L

Bridge:
    H H H L L L
    L L L H H H

I also lowered both pups, as needed, to avoid clipping and to get a good mix.
    I'm gearing up to swap the Gretschbuckers out, but, in the meantime, I kinda like the cheap, lo-fi, jangly and twangy sound that they give.

BlueTwango likes this.
  4. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, BradyM40!
    welcome-mat 15.jpg

5. BradyM40

BradyM40 Electromatic

Oct 17, 2014
    Lookout Mtn.

6. BradyM40

BradyM40 Electromatic

Oct 17, 2014
    Lookout Mtn.
    Thank you very much. This helps a lot.

7. BradyM40

BradyM40 Electromatic

Oct 17, 2014
    Lookout Mtn.

8. BradyM40

BradyM40 Electromatic

Oct 17, 2014
    Lookout Mtn.
    "cheap, low-fi, jangly, and twangy"... As it was in the beginning. I like it! I've wondered how often Scotty and Bill sat around talking about swapping pup's or arguing what mod's to do next. :)
    Thanks again for the info. If you could give me particular pole heights that would be great. I'm tinkering but not quite getting there.

9. gimmodog

gimmodog Electromatic

Nov 1, 2017
    Kentucky
    this thread gives a starting height http://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/54xx-and-51xx-pickup-height-adjustment.82123/

10. BlueTwango

BlueTwango Electromatic

Oct 3, 2016
    Brazil
    Hello, folks!
    I'm willing to try that in my 5120. I guess it would be like in J Bird's display above. Anyway I have one crucial doubt I must kill before gettin' into it: how many turns I must perform with the screw in order to not spoil/drop the poles down the cover?
    Sorry for my naiveness but I never tried anything like that so I want to avoid nasty surprises.
    Thank you all for the tips you've posted here! Keep on gretschin'! ;)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017 at 10:53 AM