Gretschbucker "clarity" Adjustment

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by megabutter, May 13, 2011.

1. BradyM40

BradyM40 Electromatic

Oct 17, 2014
    Lookout Mtn.
    I hate being this slow but could someone post exactly which poles need to be adjusted up keeping in mind a simpleton newb gets a little confused with some of the terminology? High side, low side, etc, are confusing my inexperinced, OCD having brain just enough to scare me out of giving it a shot. I'll get a handle on the terminology at some point but till then I would feel way better if someone could simplify it for me. Apologies for asking for what is probably here but just isn't sinking in well enough for me to be feel like I understand well enough to pick up the screwdriver. Thanks and feel free to point out how you wonder how such a tard managed to sign in to the site! Im more than used to it.... :):confused:

2. Joey L

Joey L Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2016
    White Plains, NY
    I have a 2016 5420 with TV Classics I installed. Even TVs need to be carefully adjusted ( pick up height and pole pieces)
    To obtain full clear and balanced tone. I spoke with Sean Jones from TV Jones, who e- mailed me recommended pole piece heights which I followed and tweaked a bit , as he suggested , for balance volume balance between strings. Now I’ve got great clear, rich tones with great snap and note separation when playing chords. But boy, those pole pieces are sensitive to the slightest turn.
    My point is that pole piece adjustment is critical on any pick up to obtain desired tones and the most out of your pick ups.

3. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

Dec 2, 2016
    Washougal
    Hey Brady, I've had some success with this method. It's definitely got much more clarity than the stock Gretschbucker pole heights.
    When looking at your guitar, on its stand, L=low, H=high:
    Neck:
    L L L H H H
    H H H L L L

Bridge:
    H H H L L L
    L L L H H H

I also lowered both pups, as needed, to avoid clipping and to get a good mix.
    I'm gearing up to swap the Gretschbuckers out, but, in the meantime, I kinda like the cheap, lo-fi, jangly and twangy sound that they give.

BlueTwango likes this.
  4. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, BradyM40!
    welcome-mat 15.jpg

5. BradyM40

BradyM40 Electromatic

Oct 17, 2014
    Lookout Mtn.

6. BradyM40

BradyM40 Electromatic

Oct 17, 2014
    Lookout Mtn.
    Thank you very much. This helps a lot.

7. BradyM40

BradyM40 Electromatic

Oct 17, 2014
    Lookout Mtn.

8. BradyM40

BradyM40 Electromatic

Oct 17, 2014
    Lookout Mtn.
    "cheap, low-fi, jangly, and twangy"... As it was in the beginning. I like it! I've wondered how often Scotty and Bill sat around talking about swapping pup's or arguing what mod's to do next. :)
    Thanks again for the info. If you could give me particular pole heights that would be great. I'm tinkering but not quite getting there.

9. gimmodog

gimmodog Electromatic

Nov 1, 2017
    Kentucky
    this thread gives a starting height http://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/54xx-and-51xx-pickup-height-adjustment.82123/

10. BlueTwango

BlueTwango Electromatic

Oct 3, 2016
    Brazil
    Hello, folks!
    I'm willing to try that in my 5120. I guess it would be like in J Bird's display above. Anyway I have one crucial doubt I must kill before gettin' into it: how many turns I must perform with the screw in order to not spoil/drop the poles down the cover?
    Sorry for my naiveness but I never tried anything like that so I want to avoid nasty surprises.
    Thank you all for the tips you've posted here! Keep on gretschin'! ;)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  11. spdruce

spdruce Electromatic

Oct 29, 2018
    UK
    Hi

12. spdruce

spdruce Electromatic

Oct 29, 2018
    UK
    Hi, I just wanted to say thank you for this post on clarity adjustment on gretschbuckers. I was getting a bit frustrated with my jet club which is an amazing guitar for the money, but I was struggling to get the tone I wanted from it and came across this post as I was on the verge of replacing the gb's with hb's or even TV's. I tried the adjustment and it made a significant difference. At the same time my tone pot broke and the tone knob would turn constantly without affecting the tone. I replaced the pot with one purchased form axetec in the UK and also put in an orange drop 022uf (600v) capacitor, the change has been incredible and I can highly recommend both mods to anyone thinking of splashing out on new pups. They are fairly easy mods (although soldering onto new pots is difficult without flux!) that are well worth trying and the cost of the new parts was a paltry £7.55 (compare that to a pair of TV Jones!)

Uncle Daddy likes this.
  13. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    Congrats! I went for years with GBs in my 5120. Im sure the 022 cap helped a bunch too, good thinking. Great bang for the buck mod!

About a year ago I splurged($70-80 for the pair) for some blacktop filterrtrons and love em. Still got the original pots and caps, just spliced em in. See Avatar.

14. spdruce

spdruce Electromatic

Oct 29, 2018
    UK
    Thanks, do you know if the blacktops would be a straight drop in on the jet club or would it need any adjusting? As I say I'm happy with how it is sounding at the mo, but would consider future improvement

15. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    They dropped right in but you do have to have different rings, my set came with them. You may need a set of ring risers from TV Jones(I did) to get the pickup heights right. Idk about the Jet Club. TV Jones would know if you need the risers or not.

16. spdruce

spdruce Electromatic

Oct 29, 2018
    UK
    Thanks for the help, may give them a try in the future, but for now have just played first gig with the jet club through my blackstar id core 40. A decent size pub gig with a lot of noisy punters and also competing with bass and les paul through 40w soldano and can honestly say that it more than held its own and was very pleased with the range of tones. I had a lot of interest from people attracted by the look of the guitar and the tone. Only one tiny niggle was that I struggled to get a true clean tone with no crunch, so had to roll the volume back a bit which lost a bit of clarity, so next bit of fun is to fit a treble bleed and upgrade the volume pot!

Pine Apple Slim likes this.
  17. adkteleman

adkteleman Gretschie

Apr 23, 2010
    Alexandria Bay, NY
    I made my adjustments to my 5120 and to be honest, I love it so much I won’t be swapping out the pups. My sweet baby sounds incredible now! I’m one happy guy!

MTurner likes this.
  18. yellow

yellow Electromatic

Feb 28, 2019
    the netherlands
    Hello!

I'm new to the forum.

Thanks for the nice suggestion, megabutter! It helps improve the tone quite a lot.

yellow

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  19. ruggero78

ruggero78 Electromatic

Mar 12, 2019
    Italy
    I'll give a try to this mod. I found that my 5426 (les paul gretsch copy) is hard to use with neck humbucker on overdrive sounds. It's to muddy. I think I'll leave bass poles flush to the pickup and I'll raise only tre treble poles.

20. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, yellow!
    dutch welcome sign.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice